Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Queen and Beaver Pub opens Monday

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steve Beaumont

Queen and Beaver Pub opens Monday

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Jamieson Kerr from Crush is opening what he says will be a traditionalist pub at 35 Elm on Monday, June 15. He has no full website yet, but there's a mini-site here.

And from what I hear, it will have a good beer selection.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Well he has a picture on Manchester United fans on that mini-site so...it's obviously going to be class. :evil:
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

You're right - for a moment I thought it was TFC.

Looking forward to popping my head in for a pint.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

When I interviewed Jamieson last year for a profile of Crush on TasteTO, he mentioned this as something that he hoped to do at some point in the future. Great to see that he's managed to make it happen.

He definitely knows good beer. Even though they only have a couple of taps at Crush, they're good stuff - one of them is Denison's, I believe. He even said that he'd love to have cask ale at the pub, although I don't know if he'll have it right away.

Anyway, I work very close by, so this may become a semi-regular hangout for me.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

At Crush, they also pour King Pilsner and McAuslan Cream, so look for brands from those breweries. And I believe I convinced Jamieson of the merits of cask ale, so expect that, too.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Interesting - two decent looking spots opening in the eaton centre area, both on the same day.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Steve Beaumont wrote:At Crush, they also pour King Pilsner and McAuslan Cream, so look for brands from those breweries. And I believe I convinced Jamieson of the merits of cask ale, so expect that, too.
Steve, any chance of convincing Beer Bistro of the merits of cask ale too?

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

I took a look through the front window this morning and saw a draught list. Czechvar, Fuller's Chiswick, and a number of micros. Arkell on cask.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Stopped in last night. Certainly a unique pub, definitely in a good way. Two patios, one on the ground and one on the 2nd floor. A mix of tables and chairs, couches and leather seats. The downstairs was more formal sit-down where the upstairs was much more casual. Could certainly see myself settling in for a few here.

They only had Denison's and Creemore on tap as it was their first night, but the selection posted earlier was accurate on their menu.

They do have a cask - Wellington Arkell but it was not on yet. At $8 plus tax per pint, however, it is a bit steep.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Toronto Blue: While I'm still involved in the ownership of beerbistro, I have no say in the beer selection any more, so I can't speak to the likelihood of there ever being cask ale there. Brian and I did discuss it in the early days, but decided (correctly, I think) that we were stretching enough boundaries already without adding cask ale to the mix.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Its a cool little place and a nice addition to the scene. It struck me as a bit of a hipster place that I doubt I'd randomly pop into for a beer, but I think it will do well and the food menu looked amazing. The beer prices were high, so it will be interesting to see what that market can take.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I imagine that the rent along that strip is pretty high, so I'm not surprised to hear that the prices are a bit steep. Although 8 bucks before tax for a pint is REALLY pushing it - that'll be $10 with tip. Yikes!

Still, I'll likely pop in for lunch later this week since I work so close by.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I'll agree with Bobsy and Troy, beer was a bit on the pricy side but not insane given the location. The food looked decently priced and very good.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Met the wife for lunch at the Queen & Beaver today, and we had a fantastic meal. Really solid food all around, and reasonably priced for the quality, with most mains in the $15-$18 range.

And it's only the cask ale that's $8 a pint, the keg beers are all $7. As mentioned earlier, there are only two kegs on at the moment - Creemore and Denison's Weisse - but they'll be joined by Czechvar, McAuslan Cream, St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout and Fuller's Chiswick in the next couple of days when the draught towers are delivered and installed.

Next week's installment of the Pub Crawl column on Taste T.O. will be a feature on the Q&B, so I'll save the rest of my thoughts for that.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

GregClow wrote:Met the wife for lunch at the Queen & Beaver today, and we had a fantastic meal. Really solid food all around, and reasonably priced for the quality, with most mains in the $15-$18 range.

And it's only the cask ale that's $8 a pint, the keg beers are all $7. As mentioned earlier, there are only two kegs on at the moment - Creemore and Denison's Weisse - but they'll be joined by Czechvar, McAuslan Cream, St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout and Fuller's Chiswick in the next couple of days when the draught towers are delivered and installed.

Next week's installment of the Pub Crawl column on Taste T.O. will be a feature on the Q&B, so I'll save the rest of my thoughts for that.
Sounds great Greg. The mains sound reasonable and worthwhile.

Though I am getting a little concerned with the price of a pint these days. Pints are going to be $10 dollars soon, and that is simply way too much for what is supposed to be a laymans drink to be enjoyed anytime.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!