Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The 3 Brewers

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote: Nothing wrong with well-made straightforward beer, even if the brewers are completely stumped for a real name or even a beer style, ha ha.
Rousse, Blanche, Noire is pretty much the standard throughout much of Quebec... Trois Mousquetaires has even recently renamed their beers that used to have names to Blonde and Rousse.

wilco

Post by wilco »

I was in here last weekend and wasn't too impressed by any of the beers, except the dark (though I probably shouldn't have gone to Volo first). Everyone at my table seemed to enjoy their food and the service was excellent, but it feels too much like a Yonge and Dundas tourist eatery for my tastes.

Has anyone tried the amber with maple syrup?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

wilco wrote:Has anyone tried the amber with maple syrup?
I'll split one with you! :D

I just had the four draught beers, and while most were not bad the Blonde was rather foul - I don't think infected, just unripe green beer that had a solvent-y character from possible rushed brewing which failed to remove volatile compounds of fermentation. No excuse!

The ambiance, food and service were fine though. Definitely corporate formula but well-executed.
In Beerum Veritas

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

I had the maple syrup beer at the Mondiale this year.....nothing special really. The maple syrup is nowhere to be found. It probably does more for the colour of the beer than it does for the flavour.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

robinvboyer wrote:I had the maple syrup beer at the Mondiale this year.....nothing special really. The maple syrup is nowhere to be found. It probably does more for the colour of the beer than it does for the flavour.
Thanks. That saves me a visit. i was primarily interested in going to try the maple beer. *sigh* Why can't anyone do a maple beer right? The best was the 2005 Schoune Erable. It was the maple bomb!
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

lister wrote: Why can't anyone do a maple beer right? The best was the 2005 Schoune Erable. It was the maple bomb!
The problem is often that the maple tends to ferment out rather than imparting the flavour. One of the better ones was a Dieu du Ciel beer aged in Maple Liquer barrels.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

There is a company in the States that ages maple syrup in used bourbon barrels for a year prior to release, making one hell of a tasty syrup in so doing. Founders Brewing then takes those same barrels, now infused with both bourbon AND maple syrup, and ages an Imperial stout in them. They call it Canadian Breakfast and it is very, very good.

And let us not forget the late Niagara Falls Maple Wheat, a beer that in its heyday was also very, very good.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Mmm Canadian Breakfast Stout. Its good stuff! Wish I had thought to pick up some of that maple syrup when I was in Grand Rapids.

TJ

Post by TJ »

I checked it out on Friday. The service wasn't the best. Our table wasn't properly cleared. There were crumbs and I had a lipstick stained napkin on my side. The waiter, upon noticing a coaster on the floor under our table, just picked it up and put it on the table in front of me. I had to ask three times for water. I don't really care but I point it out for those who might be fussier than I am.

The burger I had was mediocre, the bun was really dry. My friend had some kind of flamm with smoked meat and some pickle wedges arranged in a plus sigh which looked pretty cheesy. It smelled gross and didn't look like anything I'd want to eat, but he seemed to enjoy it.

As for the beer, I had the dark first, which had a good dose of chocolate malt which kept me interested. The red was just kind of okay, but this is a style which has never held much appeal for me, so for all I know it was great. Neither beer was enough to make me want to go back.

Overall my experience wasn't one I'd want to repeat, but that said, The 3 Brewers is certainly better than a lot of the restaurants in the immediate area.

gongu

Post by gongu »

I have heard they have now closed. Can anyone confirm?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I was there in early July, if they've closed its been quite recent because I'm sure I've heard radio advertising for them within the last couple weeks.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

gongu wrote:I have heard they have now closed. Can anyone confirm?
I was there Thursday for lunch and they were pretty busy. The food we had was very tasty, but the Wheat beer left something to be desired. The Dark is the best of the bunch IMHO.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

gongu wrote:I have heard they have now closed. Can anyone confirm?
They're still open.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I've heard that they are open? Can anyone confirm this?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

There's this really cool invention out there, guys. It's called a telephone. I used it to call the 3 Brewers, and yes, they are very much open.