Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Ceili Cottage

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It IS a great little spot and deserves the success.
Garthicus wrote:Conversely they opened early on Canada day. I've no idea why they weren't opened when some people went over, I can't say I'd be outraged if it happened, but that's me :wink:
Definitely - clients don't like to waste their time gas parking and effort just to be made fools of upon arrival - Bars need to HEAR what they're doing wrong (even though it seems to be an odd cultural expectation here to never point out bad things, there's always a way of making the point - at very least by a polite, friendly email. in a supportive tone)

Incidentally, smart bars read the PLACES ratings on ratebeer.com, so log your entire experiences there - every comment helps the bar survive long-term.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgian wrote:Incidentally, smart bars read the PLACES ratings on ratebeer.com, so log your entire experiences there - every comment helps the bar survive long-term.
Edited and deleted due to my being a bit to mischievous.
Last edited by Torontoblue on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

This should probably be in its own thread, as it has nothing to do at this point with this fine new bar...
Smart bars don't need to listen to chatter on forae; they are already a smart bar, they know what's good for them and their customers. Direct face to face feedback is all they need.
So sticking your head in the sand is good for business? I would think as a business owner all feedback from all sources could only help you. Face to face is best, but it is rare (unfortunately), and I hear people like to log their opinions these days on something called the internet. Like it or not, it can have some affect on word of mouth and general consensus (indeed these days the internet is word of mouth). To suggest a real smart bar only needs to rely on direct feedback is living in a fantasy world made up of pubs containing dark snugs and gruff 7 days/week locals who shun modern society and lament about how things are not like they used to be (as much as I would personally like to be in such a bar some times). And still make money.
Or it could work the other way. The owners may not want the place full of beer geeks taking up valuable table space, whilst they fawn over a solitary pint (shared between 6, of course), and then bugger off after 1 pint and an hour spent scribbling away
It never fails to amuse me how insecure good bar regulars are about a pen and paper. What is it that scares them so much? TorontoBlue, I like to go to Volo with several friends (and sometimes our wives), drop hundreds of dollars of beer and food, and occasionally I like to jot down what I just tried and what I like to think about. Does that offend you? Or should I take my business elsewhere?

Having said that, I wish your example was an exaggeration (even if it was in winky face jest and an obvious dig to get some responses - didn't want to let you down), but sadly, I can think of at least one or two examples in T.O of folks who fit your description. Bugs the hell out of me too. But they are not the norm, and as a self certified beer geek, it also bugs the hell out of me to be painted with that same brush.

Anyway, all Belgian was doing was pointing out that places like ratebeer or beeradvocate or pubcrawler or whatever can have a positive impact on a pub's business, especially in terms of new customers both local and out of out town. As long as a pub actually wants increased new business, and gets the approval of its staunch gruff regulars of course :wink:, then I cannot see that really being bad advice.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:It IS a great little spot and deserves the success.
Garthicus wrote:Conversely they opened early on Canada day. I've no idea why they weren't opened when some people went over, I can't say I'd be outraged if it happened, but that's me :wink:

Incidentally, smart bars read the PLACES ratings on ratebeer.com, so log your entire experiences there - every comment helps the bar survive long-term.

Agreed.

Ratebeer.com is not just a site for those who like to add beer ratings, but it also serves as a bar/restaurant review service, amongst other things.

Sites like Ratebeer.com, Beeradvocate, Beerpal, etc. can be used in part by bars to see what people are saying. Its not the only way of course, but smart owners will use those sites in conjunction with other mediums, to get an overall feel.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:
Belgian wrote:Incidentally, smart bars read the PLACES ratings on ratebeer.com, so log your entire experiences there - every comment helps the bar survive long-term.
Or it could work the other way. The owners may not want the place full of beer geeks taking up valuable table space, whilst they fawn over a solitary pint (shared between 6, of course), and then bugger off after 1 pint and an hour spent scribbling away :wink:
Hey sparky, this beer geek dropped 100 bucks in a few hours last time you saw him! :D Also, some people like Brian Morin at BeerBistro are also ratebeerians.

But point taken about 'smart bars' of course. They already have their ear to the ground. I believe some good customers do like to voice their comments on ratebeer's Places & I get that you probably know that. :lol:
In Beerum Veritas

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

We dropped by again tonight, for a second round of dessert after having dinner across the street to celebrate our anniversary.

The sticky toffee pudding is just divine and melts in the mouth. No chewing necessary.

The tap list has been the same since opening, I think. They had the Red Dragon on cask available tonight, but it seemed a bit less hoppy than I recalled from the last Victory cask mini-fest. The Hop Addict was good as always.

Just about filled to capacity inside and out and seems to be doing well.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

sstackho wrote:We dropped by again tonight, for a second round of dessert after having dinner across the street to celebrate our anniversary.
Were you at Edward Levesque's Kitchen? That's where Sheryl, a friend & I ended up last Tuesday after the Cottage was shut down due to the water problems. We absolutely loved the place - great food, great vibe, and even a decent little beer list.

And really, how can you resist a place where the slogan is "Steak, Chick Peas, Alcohol"? :lol:

Oh, and happy anniversary!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Yup, that's it. I'm not overly enamoured with their regular dinner menu, but the Summerlicious menu seemed better than most. The mains (the steak and the lamb) were very nice.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:

Edited and deleted due to my being a bit to (sic) mischievous.
Aww, why go and do that, it's called a 'thread' because the replies are all tied together. :cry: You owe me a pint for doing that, LOL.
In Beerum Veritas

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

There again tonight :-)

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Stopped by last night. Loved it!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

The writer (and some commenters) at BlogTO are not impressed. The manager responds in the comments.

http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/ceili-cottage

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

sstackho wrote:The writer (and some commenters) at BlogTO are not impressed. The manager responds in the comments.

http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/ceili-cottage
A very different review from my perspective: http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... to-on.html

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

excerpt from you:
it has almost instantly become a new hangout for the area residents of Leslieville. Everything that McMurray touched on back in March has come to life and the transformation of the old garage is simply stunning, to say the least.
For a pint, Ceili is a very sweet place, reminding me vaguely of places seen in old Europe. I'm now tempted to give the food there a try, based on your reviews, & given the owner's open attitude to customer response.
In Beerum Veritas

The Liquor Lady

Post by The Liquor Lady »

Haven't been there yet....but I have faith in Patrick to make this into an amazing place! He knows what he's doing and has the patience of Job! He worked at Rodney's didn't he?
Bonnie from the former Niagara Falls Brewing Company...glad I found this place!