Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Morrisey House, London On.

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

mozza wrote: My sister brought me a case of King Dark from the brewery (still bought on licence) that is about to go in stock Thursday - so you have something to grab this weekend I guess!
Sweet. I'll definitely drop by to have a couple! Thanks for the heads up. :D

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:
mozza wrote: My sister brought me a case of King Dark from the brewery (still bought on licence) that is about to go in stock Thursday - so you have something to grab this weekend I guess!
Sweet. I'll definitely drop by to have a couple! Thanks for the heads up. :D

Seconded. I'll swing by to grab some as well.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Cratez and I swang by here tonight for a few brews and to try the Mill Street Raspberry.

Firstly, I'd like to thank Mark for getting in the beer, as it is the first appearance in London, and it is the reason we went. Kudos to that! Very cool.

Secondly, I want to mention that, sadly, Cratez and I were completely ignored for our entire visit, and the service was absolutely the worst I have experienced in years. This is the second time this has happened and both times by the same server.
I'm really starting to get pissed off at this sort of mediocre service(this applies everywhere) that seems to be acceptable to restaurants and their workers/owners. We ordered our first beer at the bar, went to the patio for an hour........and didn't even garner a glimpse from a server....and there was one on the patio every couple minutes. Eventually, we had to go back in the bar, to order our second beer, and only after we had both finished our second beer, were we even recognized as being there. And this was only after we flagged our "server" down.....and by the way, this guy didn't give a flying shit about anything. We were going to order some late night snacks, but we were so pissed off that we simply left....it was that bad.

I'm not picking on anyone here, rather diagnosing a problem that seems to be rampant, especially in the London restaurant scene. This is the second time I've had shitty service from this particular server, and in fact last time he pissed me off so badly, I thought about never going back. But I did, and this is what I get...........

Mark, if you read this...........PLEASE , please remedy this. You have a great place, with great food, and great beer, and I want to return........but some of the servers there need to learn how to serve.....and if they don't want the tips, I'll gladly go elsewhere to dispose of my restaurant dollars if I have to.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

King Edward

Post by King Edward »

Aaah Len, if only the LTC would run that bus to Ilderton your troubles would be fewer. I hope. Just got some Dead Elephant today too....

Cheers,

Rich
www.thekingedward.com
Real food, real beer, real friendly!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Unfortunately, everything Steelback has mentioned is true, as much as I would like to praise The Morrissey and other good beer spots in London. In furtherance to what Len has pointed out, I find the 'bad service' to be an Ontario-wide thing, since I have encountered it at Niagara's Best (where the cashier/bartender didn't know what an IPA was), Duggan's, Black Dog, M.E. & Suzie's, and worst of all, Victory Cafe. Many servers seem to feel entitled to their entitlements - i.e. good tips regardless of service - and perhaps some of them are unable to distinguish between genuine asshole customers and those who are willing to pay well so long as the food, drinks, and overall experience are enjoyable.

nicktbm

Post by nicktbm »

With regards to the service, I agree 100%!! The beer selection is great, and the feel in the bar has a relaxing atmosphere. The service from some of the staff is whats keeping me and my friends from returning to the bar, and until things change we will continue to visit other places to spend our cash. Lets see some change!

mozza

Post by mozza »

It is kind of funny as we have so many compliments on the service- and as I am here everyday but for Wednesday, I also find it odd that this would be the first I hear of it? Last summer, we went through a spell where the servers were new, we were new and some just didn't understand the 'how' of taking care of people. Those people no longer work here and the 7 front of house staff that we employ are all good at what they do...and we do receive an awful lot of compliments regarding our staff.

Tips are not important, or rather, as important, as you might think. Yes, that is how servers make their money, but they also understand that some people do not have an undertsanding of that- that someone leaving 8% might think it is a great tip and that they did receive great service or that the person who left you 10% might be short at the moment, but flush next week, or have friends that he raves to about the place who are brilliant patrons and tippers. This has been ingrained in the staff and never will you find one ignoring a patron because they are 'lousy tippers.'

For this past Monday, I take full responsiblity. For the first time all summer, we had another crowd besides our regular pub quiz crowd. Two people were not enough to handle the patio and the quiz teams (this week, 65 people were playing, especially with one ailing). It is a difficult night as they arrive together and leave together- all paying at the same time. So again, my fault for not having the foresight to know that September was close at hand, vacations and cottages were in the rearview mirror and that we would do an extra 35% in sales- another person would have been great and made your experience that much better. I think you know Jimmy- and I cannot speak to the last time you felt ignored by him- but I know Jimmy too and he is all about hustle. He may not be the most polished of servers and again, my fault for putting him in that position as he is a pure bartender. He works though, is great with people, will remember your drink, name and how many kids you have- in the true sense of the local. For Jimmy to handle the front two trivia rooms, the bar and a portion of the patio- food, drinks, walking and having to chat to the wood as well- too much. Usually I am able to help- but Mondays, I am doing the quiz master thing...and usually, no need for help as we only have the quiz people in house.

This whole week in fact has seen business increase, with the same staffing levels that we have had all summer- which will change. Next Monday, no quiz, same two staff on- holiday weekend finishing, we assume it will not be that busy. The following week, trivia will be that much stronger as again, vacations are over and we will have that 3rd person on and will increase our staffing levels for those times that we think will in fact be busier.

As for this happening all the time or being a general problem in all of Ontario, I think that is a little outrageous and disingenuous. One thing that we ask of our patrons is to let us know- as it is happening as we can do something about the issue then, but hard to do it days or weeks later- or even worse, hard to do anything without concrete examples, or not knowing about it! At times, the internet makes things easier for us- others, much harder as it does detach emotions making criticism that much easier and yet, solutions that much more difficult. I know I am not a regular customer as I have spent too much time in this business, but I have had some great experiences in this city and we have some fine establishments and servers. Product knowledge is a necessity- but for our purposes, I do not think my staff has to know that the beer was brewed in a southern facing tank, but I do want them to be able to tell you the 18 that are on tap that day and what specials we might have as well as our menu changes more frequently than does our physical menu. If I had a place like Volo, or Chanceys, or Beerbistro- which is more about the beer than any other aspect of the business, then yes, knowing the products would be something that would be more important. Like any other business, we have people whose strengths compensate weaknesses and other staff that have different strengths...and weaknesses.

The thing we talk about all the time is service. We all have access to the same beer, food ingredients, booze, decor, music etc. And because of government regulations, we are also all at about the same price points. Out staff knows how important service is and how it differentiates us from the other places that you can spend your money (and this is more than just bars and restaurants, it is cinema, bowling, golf or any other leisure/disposable income usage)...again, ingrained. they know it can make a difference in sales and reputation.

I am posting your comments for the staff to see as we share everything as such. Being the professionals that they all are, I am sure they will take it to heart and raise their games. And as we get more of a history, hopefully we will be able to tell a $2000 Monday from a $3000 one so we can staff properly.

Thank you for letting me know what is happening- wish you had said something that night as I was here until 11:30, but better to know late than not know right?! Also, for faster response (if you can't do it at the moment that the problem is occuring, please use my email- mark@themorrisseyhouse.com)
please please please let me get what i want

Milos

Post by Milos »

Gedge wrote:Hey Len - thanks for stopping by on Saturday. It was good to meet you.

Looks like we'll be back at the Moz in November and December.
So many beers and so little time!!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

mozza wrote: For this past Monday, I take full responsibility. For the first time all summer, we had another crowd besides our regular pub quiz crowd. Two people were not enough to handle the patio and the quiz teams (this week, 65 people were playing).

I am posting your comments for the staff to see as we share everything as such. Being the professionals that they all are, I am sure they will take it to heart and raise their games. And as we get more of a history, hopefully we will be able to tell a $2000 Monday from a $3000 one so we can staff properly.

Thank you for letting me know what is happening - wish you had said something that night as I was here until 11:30 - but better to know late than not know right?! Also, for a faster response (if you can't do it at the moment that the problem is occurring, please use my email- mark@themorrisseyhouse.com)
Hi Mark. This is very admirable of you, and I appreciate the rapid response. It sounds like you've done even more than what Len was asking for and it's clear that you guys take your business seriously. Hopefully you can tell that none of us expect the world from Morrissey, just timely and attentive service without some sort of prompting on the customer's part. Again, it seems like you've taken quick action on this front, so kudos for that.
mozza wrote: As for this happening all the time or being a general problem in all of Ontario, I think that is a little outrageous and disingenuous. One thing that we ask of our patrons is to let us know - as it is happening as we can do something about the issue then, but hard to do it days or weeks later - or even worse, hard to do anything without concrete examples, or not knowing about it! At times, the internet makes things easier for us - others, much harder as it does detach emotions making criticism that much easier and yet, solutions that much more difficult.
My 'Ontario-wide' comment was in reference to a string of bad experiences at various establishments throughout the province. I think Len explained this to you over the phone. You'll likely agree that, since you weren't there to witness these experiences, you can't reasonably comment on whether or not my criticisms are outrageous. I've praised most of the bars that I've visited (including your place), but have recently encountered some unusually bad service at several establishments. Admittedly these places represent the minority of beer spots in Ontario and in hindsight I should have refrained from generalizing.
mozza wrote: If I had a place like Volo, or Chancey's, or beerbistro - which is more about the beer than any other aspect of the business - then yes, knowing the products would be something that would be more important.
Well, from what I can tell nobody expects you guys to be like these places. The fact that Morrissey offers 20 or so really good craft bottles, about 7 solid craft and import draughts, and a rotating Ontario tap that always has something interesting on is certainly enough for me. Not to mention you take suggestions from the members on this site and act on them! I noticed the Belgian Wit bottles in stock when I was grabbing some jambalaya (again!) and drinking my King Dark at the bar. So while I can't speak for everyone, I'm very impressed with what The Mo is offering to London, and willing to overlook one bad experience out of dozens of visits. Cheers!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I've been thinking about this, and I've spoken with many folks "in the industry".

Perhaps I "jumped the gun" so to speak when I initially posted this complaint, but at the time I did feel it was valid. Having had several very bad experiences in a row (not at the Mo) but at other places, I guess I had just "had it" and decided to post. Perhaps I should have phoned Mark directly, or talked to him that night, but I always feel bad for bothering a manager or owner because I just assume they are really busy.

I spoke with Mark on the phone and his server, Jimmy, seems to be a stand up guy who has been in the industry for a long time and is always hustling. Also, in the last couple days I have heard from other industry folk who read this forum, that Jimmy, is indeed a dedicated server who is always busting his ass.

What I failed to realize, and this is complete ignorance on my part, is that Jimmy was the man on the bar the night of this bad experience. So in reality, he served us just fine...because the service at the bar was actually good..so technically it was the waitress taking care of the patio that neglected to even say hi to us, or see if we needed another drink.
I blamed Jimmy and I should not have so this is a public apology to him, if he ever reads this thread. Jimmy, I am truly sorry. I will introduce myself next time I am in.

Mark assured me that his staff is trained to sort of eagle eye peoples drinks and immediate ask if they need a refill. So on this particular night, we fell through the cracks. Things happen and I understand.

Like I said, this particular night happened to be the last straw in a series of poor service experiences and it threw me off the deep end. I should have contacted Mark first and foremost, before outing anyone on a public forum. SO I also publically apologize to Mark and all the staff at Morrissey House, and I would hope that next time I am in, I am greeted without scorn.

Finally though, I will say that Mike and I were completely ignored that night so while I do have a valid complaint, I should have talked to someone about it first before going public.

I look forward to my next visit.

Cheers
Len

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Went here yesterday for lunch with my mom.

I grabbed a pint of Church key holy smoke which was a nice surprise, so kudos MArk for getting it in. Service was excellent.

I had the Pulled Pork sandwich with a side ceasar. My mom had spring rolls as she wasn't too hungry. I always forget how good the food is here until I'm actually there. The sandwich was fantastic and was a nice pairing (thanks Mark) with the Holy Smoke. My mom said the spring rolls were the best she had ever eaten. Like I said, I always forget how good the food is. One of the best in town. Those pancetta or proscuitto crisps in the ceasar salad are a neat take on things. Cheers guys! Thanks for a great lunch!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

It's clear that Mark takes our suggestions very seriously as he has brought in nearly every beer that Len and I have recommended in the last little while. Brooklyn, King, Stone Hammer, and Griffon have all made their way to London thanks to The Morrissey House, and Mark has further surprised us by putting Mill Street Framboise, Church Key Holy Smoke, and Trafalgar Hop Nouveau on tap. I'm also told that Denison's Dunkel will be arriving for the winter months.

In my last five visits I've had excellent service from Amy and Karen, and I finally got to meet Mark last night. By now I can tell that our single bad experience here was really just an anomaly. The food is always superbly tasty, the patrons are friendly and welcoming, and along with The Black Shire, The Morrissey has become my alternative 'go-to' bar when I'm not at Chancey Smith's. Once again my hat goes off to Mark and crew.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Stopped in last night with Cratez and my mind was immediately boggled when I saw Church Key Barley Legal barley wine on tap. It was also great to see Bengal Lancer, Tankhouse, and Duggans #9.
This place just keeps getting better.

I had already eaten, but Cratez grabbed the meatloaf (a personal favourite) and he enjoyed it very much.
My mind was even further boggled when we got our bill. The Barley Legal was only about $4.75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Talk about value. Wow, thanks Mark!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Had a great breakfast of Rye toast, savoury homefries, and an omelette with blackbean, hot pepper, green onion, and corn. Delicious and priced well at $6.50. Had a pint of Church Key Great Gatsbeer FTW!!! Amazing food BTW! Thanks Mark!

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I was here last night for the first time. Good beer, good service and I thought the beer prices were very good. I didn't eat, but those who were there before me said dinner was good and reasonably priced.

I should also add that I was very happy the music was at a reasonable volume so that you could hear the people across the table from you.