Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Morrisey House, London On.

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

The Morrisey House, London On.

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Set to open today, July 15th.

This is located on Dundas where the Oxford Arms used to be. They have added a very large patio out front.

They are going to be offering a wide variety of imports, with Ontario micros as well as rotating micro taps.

This is the latest in a string of pubs/bars opening in London that are serving craft/micro beer. Hopefully this is a sign of great things to come for the forest city beer scene. I'll be stopping by today and will post a review this evening.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ok. This is a neat little place.

Offerings included Mill Street, Nickel brook, Hacker Pschorr, Palm, Okanagan Springs, Tennants, Newcastle, Creemore just to name a few.

Pretty solid tap line up for London, and plans are to expand.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Went here last night. Now they have Grand River and Belhavens best on tap as well. 6 Micro taps in all now with plans to add more! Great!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I liked the Oxford Arms... we actually had our going-away party there when I left London. What happened to that place?

Great atmosphere (like a big living room in a victorian home). Perhaps it was the location? But then why open another pub in the same spot?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:I liked the Oxford Arms... we actually had our going-away party there when I left London. What happened to that place?

Great atmosphere (like a big living room in a victorian home). Perhaps it was the location? But then why open another pub in the same spot?
The closing of the Oxford arms almost certainly had to do with bad management. At one point they offered lots of great beer, and by the time they had to close, they had 1 or 2 beers on tap, usually Steelback. I don't think it had much to do with location either. The Morrissey House is packed every night.

Reps and industry folk have told me that the old owner didn't pay his rent, bills, or for his beer for that matter. Last I heard, he was into Steelback for a few thousand dollars before he closed.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Looking forward to checking out The Moz - will be DJing there on Oct. 24th. Tap list sounds very promising.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Gedge wrote:Looking forward to checking out The Moz - will be DJing there on Oct. 24th. Tap list sounds very promising.

I'll swing by to check out your set. By chance will you be spinning some Tech-Step D & B?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Nope - still strictly 60s! :wink:

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

You should play only 80's Billy Joel.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Guybrush wrote:You should play only 80's Billy Joel.
This might go over better:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Maybe a few London Bartowellers want to arrange meeting here on the 24th to support not only a new local bar and local beer, but also a fellow bartowel Dj?

WilliamEstevan

Post by WilliamEstevan »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Maybe a few London Bartowellers want to arrange meeting here on the 24th to support not only a new local bar and local beer, but also a fellow bartowel Dj?
Doesn't seem like one of those Bad Ideas I've heard about, in fact, I'd say it's pretty good. I will have to scout the location beforehand and find out what they have on tap...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

WilliamEstevan wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Maybe a few London Bartowellers want to arrange meeting here on the 24th to support not only a new local bar and local beer, but also a fellow bartowel Dj?
Doesn't seem like one of those Bad Ideas I've heard about, in fact, I'd say it's pretty good. I will have to scout the location beforehand and find out what they have on tap...

Cool, let me know!

This week they have Plowman's, Tankhouse, Creemore Lager, Steamwhistle, Belhaven's Best, Bavaria 1516, Newcastle, Guinness and more on tap, and the bottles are from Nickel Brook, Mill Street etc. The atmosphere is cool there!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Thanks for suggesting! I'd say "I'll put you on the guest list" but there's no cover.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Gedge wrote:
Thanks for suggesting! I'd say "I'll put you on the guest list" but there's no cover.
Ok so I will be going here on the 24th to check out the set. Gedge, if you happen to accidentally spin some dark drum and bass, I won't be mad........see ya then.