Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Twisted Kilt

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

kwjd wrote:
gregman98 wrote: But...I'll have an open mind with the TK's offerings. Do you have a recommendation based on what others have posted here about their tap offerings?
Based on the list Publican posted and what you said about the Harvest Ale, maybe try the Black Oak Pale Ale or Fullers ESB.
Exactly what I was about to suggest.

Also, once they have cask ale(s) available, try one of those. The vast majority of the cask ales available around town on a regular basis are UK-style ales of the Bitter or Pale Ale variety, so you'll probably like 'em if you like the Harvest Ale.

$

Post by $ »

Dropped in last night. Place is definitely nicer, food is better too. They have welsh rarebit, and bubble and squeak too - those always make me laugh for no reason...

Nice to see new carpet in there.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Dropped in last night for the first time. It very much feels like the old Bow - the basic layout is the same and much of the decor is retained. But overall it has a newer, fresher feel, which was completely needed.

As mentioned, the carpet is replaced so you feel that right away. Those old massive CRT TVs have been replaced with flatscreens, and the extra space because of that is noticeable. The staff are attentive and friendly. And as Ken mentioned the kitchen is new and so are all the draught lines.

The beer list has been mentioned - heavy presence of Sleeman on draught and bottles which isn't all bad - Blanche de Chambly and Ephemere Cassis on tap, plus Trois Pistoles and some of the others in bottles.

Would be nice to have a bit more Ontario craft representation - the only ones presently are Steam Whistle, Black Oak Pale and Wellington Dark. Hopefully some more will appear in the future. But no Canadian macro presence which is admirable as I'm sure the offers were there.

The old Bow was failing rapidly and had a slew of problems in the months leading up to its closing. It's great to see the space open again (not many decent beer places in this part of the city) with the issues that were there previously addressed. The Kilt was doing a good trade and seemed full for most of the evening. Happy to have it back on the local pub roster.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I went tonight and the food and beer were excellent. The beer list was fine by me, e.g., Ephemere Cassis, that's pretty good (and it was). True, the imports seemed to equal the local beers in number and it would be nice to see more of the latter, but the import list was interesting unto itself. This place promises to be a worthy successor to the Bow and Arrow.

Gary
Gary Gillman

oldscotch

Post by oldscotch »

Finally noticed this on the bus on the way in to work this morning, glad to hear the positive reports and it sounds like there's a good selection of beers again.

Does anyone know if Sandy MacIntyre is back on Sunday afternoons/evenings? I know he liked playing there.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I popped in this afternoon for lunch and a couple of pints. It was very nice, I think I counted 23 taps including 4 cask (3 fullers, 1 black oak) I had the pulled bbq pork special for lunch, it was fine. The service was really friendly and it was an all round good experience. I'd say it will really come into its own on the crappy, dark snowy evenings when you can sit by the (gas/electric?) fire and warm your toes with a nice pint of cask. It's so handy to Davisville station too.

Stevetut

Post by Stevetut »

"I think I counted 23 taps including 4 cask (3 fullers, 1 black oak)"

One of the Fullers is keg beer on a fake handpump. I'd be surprised if the other Fullers beers are cask since they don't supply pubs in North America on a regular basis.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Stevetut wrote:"I think I counted 23 taps including 4 cask (3 fullers, 1 black oak)"

One of the Fullers is keg beer on a fake handpump. I'd be surprised if the other Fullers beers are cask since they don't supply pubs in North America on a regular basis.
They do in the Winter, and it's becoming a more regular sight in good pubs here.