Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good Pubs with live blues or rock music?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

RyanWright

Good Pubs with live blues or rock music?

Post by RyanWright »

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice in my quest to find a good pub that has live blues and/or rock music downtown on a saturday? I am going out on a pub crawl for my stag on saturday july 25th and wanted the last stop on the crawl to be somewhere with decent beer and live music. I will be with 9 or 10 guys and my best man is getting a limo or suv to take us from one pub to the next in downtown toronto. I am stoked! After searching online, I found that a pub near Yonge/Eglinton called "Rose and Crown" has live blues that day and the "Silver Dollar Room" has a live funk band playing that night. I have not been to either of these places and wondered if anyone has any comments on either place? The only other thought was the new "BierMarkt on King" which has a rock band playing that night according to the website. Any advice would be much appreciated regarding these places or any other suggestions. Cheers.

Spab

Post by Spab »

I've always thought the Rose and Crown was terrible as a pub or beer destination and I don't think it's any better as a blues spot. Mediocre selection, quality issues, garbage food. The place at least was usually well-attended so it wasn't dead, but I live in the area and have steered clear of the place for years. I'd never go there with a stag - it's a generic "meh" sort of place.

The Silver Dollar ain't a beer destination but there should be half-decent music there. From a blues/music perspective, I've always been partial to Grossman's Tavern a little further south on Spadina. Again though you'll be drinking macro swill there. I don't know if there's a place that combines blues and decent beer in this city. But if there is I'm sure someone here will know it.

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

Thanks for the feedback Spab. I suspected Rose and Crown was a macro place based on their website. Maybe my search for a solid place with good beer and live blues/rock is somewhat of an oasis in the desert. I realize finding a pub with micro beer options and live blues or rock is an elusive combination! I figure that after hitting number of good pubs in the late afternoon and evening, the tastebuds will be able to settle for a more mediocre beer lineup by the end of the night. I realize my best case scenario at many of these sort of places is a steamwhistle or creemore tap. Buts thats what I expect. I have not decided exactly what pubs to hit beforehand, but I thought of making two or three choices such as Granite, Victory, 3 Brewers, C'est What, prior to going to a music place at the end. Any additional feedback is appreciated.