Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Black Pearl - London, ON

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

The Black Pearl - London, ON

Post by Guybrush »

Went there tonight (Sun.) they had a decent tap selection as far as London lesser-known-pubs are concerned. Creemore Lager, Bud light, Guinness, Mill St. Wit, Tennants, Okanagan 1516 Lager, Okanagan IPA. Not too bad, I'm sure we could all bash it for not having cask or whatnot, but as far as I am concerned it turned out alright.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Thanks for the post.

I was wondering about what was going on here.

From time to time I speak with the owner when he comes into the LCBO to pick up some stuff for his place. Last time we spoke, which was about a half year ago, he said he had tried putting on one micro tap, but it had not been doing well. Seems like things have changed. I'll have to swing by. I've heard the wings are to die for.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Olde School

Post by Olde School »

The owner is my brother-in-law and we talk a lot about his taps. He is loyal to Sleemans because they have been very good to him, ie they installed a very nice tower and support him with promo pieces for giveaways, golf tournaments, etc. Ironically he can't move Sleemans beers so that is why you see Okangan. He would like to add a Unibroue tap, but there would have to be a demand, hint, hint.
I've tried to convince him to get rid of the English taps and sell bud in bottles instead of draught. Mill Street does OK and I think he will stick with them.
George listens to his customers, so if some bartowelers were to encourage him, you might see what you like.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Very cool. Like I said, I will definitely get out there now. It is just so far away for me, so I won't be able to do it often.

Edit- I am really happy to see the recent contribution of London Bartowelers here lately, and I am also glad to see that there are places popping up that are serving good beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Just checked out the place. Wings were quitwe good and I enjoyed two pints of Mill Street Wit and was generally impressed with the selection. A small and quaint little place with a largely (what seemed at the time) Scottish customer base, and I am OK with that!

I will be returning, and if you talk to George, tell him I was in and will continue to do so.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

black pearl or chauncey smith for taps?

as bottles really lcbo at both places,

i'm there in a couple weeks

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Chancey Smiths for bottles and taps. Or if you're near Ilderton, check out the King Edward for a cask.

hush

Post by hush »

I was stood up by the folks I was going to go to the Morrissey House with today so I went to the Black Pearl on my way home from work instead. I had never been there and I was expecting a diner motif (as it's the restaurant portion of the Lighthouse Inn) but was surprised that it was more of a dark-wood pub. It has a nice homey feel to it - the 10 or so patrons who were there all seemed to know each other and the lady who was working the bar was quite nice.

I had an Okanagan IPA which I had not had before. It was tasty and well balanced, although perhaps a little too cold for my preference (though that's just me, I tend to prefer ales a few degrees warmer than most). Would have liked to have had another but was on my motorcycle and one is my self-imposed limit. Will try to convince my car pool to stop there later in the fall so I can have a couple and try the wings . A Unibroue tap would be welcome :-)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

hush wrote:I was stood up by the folks I was going to go to the Morrissey House with today so I went to the Black Pearl on my way home from work instead. I had never been there and I was expecting a diner motif (as it's the restaurant portion of the Lighthouse Inn) but was surprised that it was more of a dark-wood pub. It has a nice homey feel to it - the 10 or so patrons who were there all seemed to know each other and the lady who was working the bar was quite nice.

I had an Okanagan IPA which I had not had before. It was tasty and well balanced, although perhaps a little too cold for my preference (though that's just me, I tend to prefer ales a few degrees warmer than most). Would have liked to have had another but was on my motorcycle and one is my self-imposed limit. Will try to convince my car pool to stop there later in the fall so I can have a couple and try the wings . A Unibroue tap would be welcome :-)

A unibroue tap would be most welcome and I have been trying to convince folks who work there of the same thing, but given the somewhat limited pool they draw customers from, I'll give thema bit more time.

hush

Post by hush »

The Black Pearl place was dark for a couple of weeks and now the windows are papered over, although the lights are on inside. The motel still seems to be operation - anyone know what is happening with the place?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

hush wrote:The Black Pearl place was dark for a couple of weeks and now the windows are papered over, although the lights are on inside. The motel still seems to be operation - anyone know what is happening with the place?

I heard rumors that they were forced to close because the owner of the land wants to do something else with it. Hyde Park resident and attorney Clay Powell lives in the area, and wrote about it in The Londoner last month, but I forget all of the details. I know George and his wife put their heart and soul into that place. It's a shame that these wealthy scumbag landowners can just pull the rug from a successful family run business.

Olde School

Post by Olde School »

New owners have taken over the entire property. Initially George was hoping to work out a new deal with them, then they gave him a month's notice to leave. They looked at some other locations, but it is a case of too much money and not enough time. So, that's it. Don't look for the new owners to do anything close to resembling a good beer bar - that's if they ever get a license.

King Edward

Post by King Edward »

I had a pint with George & Deb last week at our place. They are heart-broken but doing well considering. Good strong peolple who got the bad end of a rough deal. The Pearl was our local, where we would escape to after a dinner rush to have a few quiet pints on Friday or Saturday nights. Oddly enough we saw a Draught Services van outside there a few days ago, usually one waits until just before opening to clean the lines and from what I understand the new owners are applying for a whole new license so it could be months away.
www.thekingedward.com
Real food, real beer, real friendly!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Thanks for the update Rich.
It is really a sad situation. If George were to re-open, please tell him that he would have my support in whatever he decides.
Mind you, I only went to the Black Pearl about 4 times in total, but every little bit helps.
As for the new owners/place, well I'll simply boycott it based on what they did to George

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Seems like this place is back open. Not sure if it's the same owner, or if the craft taps remain, but I've seen it bustling with patrons having smokes outside on three recent occasions. Any one been here lately?