Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Clock Tower Brewpub Ottawa

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rumrunner

The Clock Tower Brewpub Ottawa

Post by Rumrunner »

Just had an overnight in Ottawa and hit the Clock Tower Brewpub in the Bymarket area. I hear they have two other locations. My first pint was the Wishart's Bitter, an excellent ESB. Fell in love with this one immediately!

This I followed up with a well balanced Fenian Red, another enjoyable experience. The ESB though was so good though , that it kept calling so I decided not to try anything else new and went back to it instead. It was a great decision!

The place was packed early with small line-ups formed at the door. Most were there for supper and drinks. Guess this means the food is good and I just ordered the wrong thing on the menu.

It's a place I'll hit again when in Ottawa.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I've been told they have cleaned up their menu and by extension, I hope, their beer. They are even running radio commercials now that focus on their beer. Which is a change from previous years when you could walk into any of their locations and not even find one of their own beers on tap, or worse, if it was, it was in horrible condition.

This report is encouraging.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

I stopped going to the Bank St. location a while back because the beer was not in great shape. Over the summer I tried the new wit they had and it was decent. This ray of encouragement might get me back there.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

We live nearby the Bank St location and enjoy their half price mussel days. The beer is decent, and most times I'll have a pint of the bitter as usually it's in decent shape.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Went there recently and had the sample tray, trying all their regular beers plus their pumpkin ale fall seasonal. The bitter was by far the best, though the brown and red were decent. I did not really enjoy the raspberry wit, kolsh, or pumpkin.