Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fake handpump at Twisted Kilt

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:
If I enjoy a pint I don't give a shit if its cask or not.
... and of course it's also fine if some people do. Opinions are like that.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Wouldn't it be great if all of these kegs were casks, and we were complaining that publicans were trying to pass off fake keg?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Here's a good reason why a publican might accept a Fuller's fake hand-pump: They have x number of taps. Fuller's comes in and says "Hey, we want you to sell our beer, but we know you've got good relationships with all the other companies who supply your draught, so we're not asking you to give us a line. Instead, we'll set up a line that runs to a cool-looking "British" pump on your bar. You gain an extra line for FREE and also get the benefit and support of the Fuller's brand. Makes sense. I still don't believe most publicans are getting these set-ups to fool the very small number of people who actually care about cask.

Regarding people being "fooled" by the fakes. Further to both my earlier point and Bobsy's excellent follow-up: On more then one occasion, I have been served beer that I was expecting to be cask that wasn't. And I knew right away. It was way too cold, and way too carbonated. In all cases I'm sure it was due to a server's error, not deception, as the bars in question were very busy. One time I asked the server and was immediately presented with a proper cask pint (and didn't have to pay for that one). The other times I just enjoyed what I was drinking because it was still very nice. Most people who would take the time to order cask probably wouldn't be fooled by druaght.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Bobsy hit the nail on the head. Whine about something important.