Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

KBC (Kingston Brew Pub)

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

KBC (Kingston Brew Pub)

Post by Belgian »

Had a little stop on the weekend as I usually do when I'm there. Aadrvark Dark is on tap, as well as the Dragon's Breath Real Ale and Pale Ales.

Really nice British style pub for a small town, homey. Handful of decent Ontario taps.

I find the beer quite variable. Both Dragon's ales seeemd a bit nondescript this last time, while the past few times they were pretty hoppy and tasty. Aardvark Dark seems like a variant of the Real Ale.

Worth checking out, you can pre-sample anything you want to order. VERY local attitude, Kingston patrons seem really proprietary around the barside area. But fear not, you can strike up amiable chatter with them, and the friendly touch of provinciality adds to the warmth of the place. Roll with it, I always say. Pretty old downtown area.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's experienced some variation with the Dragon's Breath. I usually try to stop in for a pint when I'm visiting family in the area.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Last time I was there the beer was sour and the food was shit. Too bad, I used to hit this place up all the time when my missus was at Queen's. Hopefully it was just an off-day for them.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well... KBC almost never used to impress me, but then a few times in the past year there was some damn fine Dragon's Breath. All beers I tried the last time were homebrew-ish, and drank like water. Too bad!

What makes a beer 'sour' in this case bobsy, is it the brewing or the presentation (tap lines?) The bartend actually took pride in each pour being done well, I did not sense a lack of pride. I'd like to see them be great every time, is it that difficult?
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:What makes a beer 'sour' in this case bobsy, is it the brewing or the presentation (tap lines?)
Its poorly kept cask - essentially the equivalent of storing milk wrongly and for too long, and then selling it by the pint. Its too bad, I was there with my old man who's a full-on CAMRA guy in the UK, and he thought it was undrinkable.

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

We tried KBC several times on the way to Montreal, in every case the beer was okay, but far outweighed by the food, which was bad. After several similar experiences, we now skip the detour into downtown Kingston and use the time saved to spend extra time in a good Montreal brasserie.
Too many beers, too little time...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

AlanB wrote:We tried KBC several times on the way to Montreal, in every case the beer was okay, but far outweighed by the food, which was bad. After several similar experiences, we now skip the detour into downtown Kingston and use the time saved to spend extra time in a good Montreal brasserie.
There's no comparison. I get the sense KBC have their locals so they are not worried about competing for their business. Still, a 10% effort (food prep, beer freshness) could make 100% better. It's a sweet old building.

Still, if in Kingston the Sleepless Goat is a nice stop for a quick bite and some single-varietal coffee. Chat Noir has great Poutine with Duck Confit. Both places have modest selection of micros (St. Amby and Unibroue mostly.) Chez Piggy resto & the bakery-bistro Pan Chancho are also within those same few downtown blocks, high quality eats but slightly more pricey.

And that's about it, except for Guitar Shop to drool over some very nice L'arrivee flat-tops.
In Beerum Veritas

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Belgian wrote:
AlanB wrote:We tried KBC several times on the way to Montreal, in every case the beer was okay, but far outweighed by the food, which was bad. After several similar experiences, we now skip the detour into downtown Kingston and use the time saved to spend extra time in a good Montreal brasserie.
There's no comparison. I get the sense KBC have their locals so they are not worried about competing for their business. Still, a 10% effort (food prep, beer freshness) could make 100% better. It's a sweet old building.

Still, if in Kingston the Sleepless Goat is a nice stop for a quick bite and some single-varietal coffee. Chat Noir has great Poutine with Duck Confit. Both places have modest selection of micros (St. Amby and Unibroue mostly.) Chez Piggy resto & the bakery-bistro Pan Chancho are also within those same few downtown blocks, high quality eats but slightly more pricey.

And that's about it, except for Guitar Shop to drool over some very nice L'arrivee flat-tops.
Chat Noir? You probably mean Le Chien Noir.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Right, Chat Noir is on College Street innit! Le Chien Noir has good St Amby on tap.
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Belgian wrote:Right, Chat Noir is on College Street innit! Le Chien Noir has good St Amby on tap.
That's Gatto Nero on College. Same thing, different language... :wink:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

velovampire wrote:
Belgian wrote:Right, Chat Noir is on College Street innit! Le Chien Noir has good St Amby on tap.
That's Gatto Nero on College. Same thing, different language... :wink:
Used to love this place when we lived nearby. Gatto Nero for pasta, the Standard for pizza and Diplomatico for iced cappucino.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

LOL I'm a train wreck for remembering names today. But the Duplomatico is slipping badly, with terrible over-priced food & servers that try to scam you when you pay. Beware!
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Belgian wrote:But the Duplomatico is slipping badly, with terrible over-priced food & servers that try to scam you when you pay. Beware!
Agreed!

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Who brews the Dragon's Breath now? Do they do it themselves? Brings back memories of Hart Brewery; Dragon's Breath used to be one of my go-to beers.

Haven't been to the KBC in many years but I remember it was pretty good, although the food didn't blow me away.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Inkling wrote:Who brews the Dragon's Breath now? Do they do it themselves?
According to their website (last updated in 2008)...
Due to the popularity and the confinements of the small brewery housed in this historically designated building it has become necessary to contract brew two of K.B.C.’s most popular recipes off premises.

Dragoon’s Breath Pale Ale is now brewed by Montreal’s McAuslan Brewing Company and Whitetail™ Cream Ale is brewed by Brick Brewing Company of Waterloo