Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo - wow!

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

Volo - wow!

Post by zane9 »

Just a note of praise for Volo. My buddies and I get together regularly, and we meet up at a pub. Both as a relative newbie to micro/craft beer and as someone who lived in T.O. and now lives in the suburban wasteland, it's been fun for me to take my Toronto friends to places in the city that they've never heard of!

We started out at Les Trois Brasseurs (nice Blanche, the food was meh), we then walked up to Volo. The first visit for all of us, on a lovely evening. The patio was packed. That part of Yonge Street has hung on to its urban character for so many years.

The choice was almost overwhelming. I settled on the Durham Hop Addict, and my mates chose the Beau's Lug Tread. Service was prompt and informative, the atmosphere was inviting. Needless to say, it would take many many visits to explore what's on offer. We'll be back there soon.

So thank you, Volo, for a great night out, and thanks Bar Towel for introducing me to one of the truly excellent spots in T.O.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Is this an extension of Cardinal Glick's "Catholicism - WOW" Campaign? Where do I sign up for my Buddy Ralph doll??? :)

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Hmm...I'm aware of Jiminy Glick, and Samuel Glick. Fictional characters, of course. But I don't know Cardinal Glick. Does he drink beer? :wink:

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

zane9 wrote:Hmm...I'm aware of Jiminy Glick, and Samuel Glick. Fictional characters, of course. But I don't know Cardinal Glick. Does he drink beer? :wink:
he plays golf so probably :lol:

zane9

Post by zane9 »

So let's get Cardy into Volo. Might be a heavenly matchup. :lol:

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

zane9 wrote:Hmm...I'm aware of Jiminy Glick, and Samuel Glick. Fictional characters, of course. But I don't know Cardinal Glick. Does he drink beer? :wink:
Character in the movie Dogma, played by George Carlin. :)

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Oh geez, I forgot about that character! How could I?!

From IMDB:

"Rufus: I'm telling you, man, this ceremony is a big mistake.
Cardinal Glick: The Catholic Church does not make mistakes.
Rufus: Please. What about the Church's silent consent to the slave trade?
Bethany: And its platform of noninvolvement during the Holocaust?
Cardinal Glick: All right, mistakes were made. "

Alanis Morissette made a memorable appearance in that movie! I'm sure Kevin Smith would enjoy Volo, he's a big fan of T.O.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Does anybody else get a frequent Sunday Noon craving to head to Volo for a relaxed afternoon pint? Of course inappropriately.

Be awesome if they just did brunch and beers from 12-4 on Sundays. Such a waste of a nice summer patio.
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Belgian wrote:Does anybody else get a frequent Sunday Noon craving to head to Volo for a relaxed afternoon pint? Of course inappropriately.

Be awesome if they just did brunch and beers from 12-4 on Sundays. Such a waste of a nice summer patio.
Yes.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:Does anybody else get a frequent Sunday Noon craving to head to Volo for a relaxed afternoon pint? Of course inappropriately.

Ran past there at about 8:30am this morning and I coulda killed a cold one!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Seems mind bogglingly odd not to be open on Sundays in the summer, if for only this reason.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

SteelbackGuy wrote:

Seems mind bogglingly odd not to be open on Sundays in the summer, if for only this reason.
Completely agree. Would love go on the patio on a Sunday afternoon.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

kwjd wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

Completely agree. Would love go on the patio on a Sunday afternoon.
It used to be open on Sunday's, patio open, beers flowing; no one turned up, so they were losing money. Unless a decent sized crowd turn out each and every Sunday then it's not worthwhile opening just on the off chance a couple of people want a drink.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

It sucks because Sundays are regularly the only day I have time to get in to Toronto and sit and enjoy a few.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Volo will be open a fair number of Sundays starting in late May for special events like the IPA challenge. Not an option if you just want to have a casual pint or two, I suppose, but better than nothing.