Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

C'est What?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Maudite

Post by Maudite »

They are expanding and will solidify another 12 taps in a designated area. I believe it was previously an office space of some sort. Christopher is expanding his bottle selection as well. Just a heads up!

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

That's good news. C'est What has been consistently underwhelming me for the last 2-3 years as far as tap selection goes, hope this will breath some life into it.

efman

Post by efman »

Al's Cast Ale is my favorite beer in Toronto. C'est What will own me as long as they make that draft.

Images

Post by Images »

For those that don't know, the space C'est What is expanding into is to the east - the main access will be when you come down the staircase, it's the doors on the left. It'll almost double the square footage of C'est What.

Pool tables and TVs are supposed to be included!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Images on 2003-03-21 14:54 ]</font>

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Pool tables - I'm OK with that. But one thing that I always liked about C'est What was the abscence of TVs.

There's nothing worse than trying to enjoy an evening of drinks and conversation with friends while some sporting event or "reality show" is blaring a few feet away.

Not that I have a problem with sports necessarily. ("Reality shows", on the other hand...) But if I wanted to watch sports in a bar - well, I'd go to a sports bar!

Greg

efman

Post by efman »

as long as they leave those comfy couches in the dark, I will be there....and yes...no TV's..

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

More taps are usually a good thing for customers, but not necessarily for brewers. This is especially true if they already have a beer on tap before the expansion. More taps usually do not equal more customers or more volume of beer sold per tap. In fact the volume is usually spread over the entire line-up of beers, new and old, meaning each brand gets a smaller piece of the overall pie. It can be a cash-flow problem for the bar as well because they have to purchase more kegs per week. A bar usually buys one keg and a back-up for each tap. In C'est What's case, that means stocking and paying for 12-24 extra kegs per week.
Christopher and the staff at C'est What? are exceptionally good at what they do and I'm sure this expansion was well thought out. (I also hope to get one of my beers on tap so I can share that piece of pie, smaller or not!)

Lemmings

Post by Lemmings »

I've walked in there on numerous Fridays and Saturdays and being unable to find a table, I left. Maybe the pie will be bigger with more room.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

On 2003-05-05 12:20, Lemmings wrote:
I've walked in there on numerous Fridays and Saturdays and being unable to find a table, I left. Maybe the pie will be bigger with more room.
I agree. On weekends in particular, C'est What is often filled to capacity, and I've gone elsewhere more than once because of it. I think that the business will easily grow to fill the new space.

Plus it means more room for their annual beer festival. :smile:

Greg

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

On 2003-05-05 12:55, GregClow wrote:
On 2003-05-05 12:20, Lemmings wrote:
I agree. On weekends in particular, C'est What is often filled to capacity, and I've gone elsewhere more than once because of it. I think that the business will easily grow to fill the new space.

Plus it means more room for their annual beer festival. :smile:
I really like this bar too, and appreciate many of the unique aspects of their service, particularly the beer selection. They offer one of the best selections anywhere in the province.

I assume that many of their strengths relate back to the way it is managed -- it is a co-op or partnership of some description(...I believe). So the personalities of the people who own the place and work there are closely reflected in some of the appealing, funkier elements of the place that make it so much fun.

However the downside to all of the quirkiness is reflected most dramatically in the music programming. It is one of the coolest, funkiest bars in town and yet they play all sorts of cruddy, crunchy folk music! And it's not just the booking policy of the music half of the bar. The ambient music on the east side of the place is equally dreary. The music has, once or twice, literally driven me from the place. And that CD they sell -- I'm sorry, but even if it does benefit a worthy charity, it is full of clunkers.

So why am I whining about music on a beer website? Because they have that beautiful bar on the west side which I only see once a year during the microbrew festival, when there is no band on for most of the evening. Do the bands fill that side? Is it worth their while to dedicate fully half of their bar to a music venue when the other half is full to overflowing on weekends?

It's their business -- they should run it as best pleases them. But given my druthers...better music tapes and a better arrangement for the music venue would go a long way to freeing up all that beautiful bar space. Dollars to doughnuts they would sell more delicious beer, too.

"Have a happy day even if you didn't have a birthday."

-Uncle Bobby

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle Bobby on 2003-05-05 15:38 ]</font>

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

On 2003-05-05 14:20, Uncle Bobby wrote:
However the downside to all of the quirkiness is reflected most dramatically in the music programming . . . But given my druthers...better music tapes and a better arrangement for the music venue would go a long way to freeing up all that beautiful bar space.

-Uncle Bobby
They have music on? :wink:

I hadn't noticed, I was so mesmerized by the beer!

I'm a big fan of Al's Cask Ale - I try to have at least one each time I'm in.

Just kidding, to be honest, I'm not always keen on what they play, but once time I did hear Miles Davis - Kind of Blue.

The tough thing with music is that it is so subjective, look all of the different genres and styles of music, each with it's own large fan base.

My advice - Have a few more pints and perhaps the music won't bother you so much :smile:

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

On 2003-03-21 14:53, Images wrote:
For those that don't know, the space C'est What is expanding into is to the east - the main access will be when you come down the staircase, it's the doors on the left. It'll almost double the square footage of C'est What.

Pool tables and TVs are supposed to be included!
Just a few little points:

1) The space in question used to below to BRACK Electronics

2) George is planning on showing soccer matches on weekends (Hopefully Champions League matches midweek too!) - I'm looking forward to this as I'm a big fan of the English Premier League - Newcastle United in particular...

Publican

Post by Publican »

Uncle Bobby are you kidding about C'est what's service! I've been in many times when I've practically had to wave money in the air to get any service. They seem more intrested in talking to co-workers. The only people who
are great bartenders are Nick and Anne as well as manager Brenda.

J Walter
I too am a fan of the English Premier League. I am a supporter of Liverpool but have also enjoyed the play of Newcastle United espicially Alan Shearer. I think they have the best chance to knock off Arsenal or Man U. Too bad pints cant be pulled until 11am. Sorry to go on about football(soceer) on a beer site but ale goes hand and hand with the beautiful game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Publican on 2003-06-17 00:11 ]</font>