Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

World Cup Pubs

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Publican wrote:The Rhino will be showing the matches and will be using thier projection screen if enough people show up for the games.
That's just a little bit dodgy. What's 'enough' people for them to put the projector on?

You either advertise that the games are on or off. I'd be a little pissed at turning up to watch a game to be told there isn't 'enough' people to justify turning the projector on.

And their website isn't any more helpful - hasn't been updated since 2006.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

From the Ceili Cottage:
The bar area only will be open from 2pm weekdays (obviously we open fully at 12 noon on weekends), and the Cottage room and patio will open at 5pm as normal. Snacks will be available during the afternoon, with the kitchen beginning the full dinner menu at 5pm along with the opening of the rest of the place. The games will be played in HD with full commentary on the surround sound system.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Pub Style wrote:From the Ceili Cottage:
The bar area only will be open from 2pm weekdays (obviously we open fully at 12 noon on weekends), and the Cottage room and patio will open at 5pm as normal. Snacks will be available during the afternoon, with the kitchen beginning the full dinner menu at 5pm along with the opening of the rest of the place. The games will be played in HD with full commentary on the surround sound system.
So, they are only showing one LIVE game a day? Seeing as the 'final' game of the day kicks off at 2.15pm. I guess they are pissed as Ireland were cheated out of getting to the finals :p

As an aside, licensees in Alberta that applied for an extended liquor license are allowed to open at 10.00am MST during the World Cup, and alcohol can and will be served at 10.00am as long as food is being served at the same time. Now isn't that civilised?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Torontoblue wrote:As an aside, licensees in Alberta that applied for an extended liquor license are allowed to open at 10.00am MST during the World Cup, and alcohol can and will be served at 10.00am as long as food is being served at the same time. Now isn't that civilised?
Yes. And they're doing the same thing in Ontario.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Morning Alcoholism only needs a justification. Or a great belgian waffle.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

GregClow wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:As an aside, licensees in Alberta that applied for an extended liquor license are allowed to open at 10.00am MST during the World Cup, and alcohol can and will be served at 10.00am as long as food is being served at the same time. Now isn't that civilised?
Yes. And they're doing the same thing in Ontario.
Nice, hadn't seen that news piece. Just read some more about Edmonton, and it looks like bars are allowed to serve from 8am!!!

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

The Twisted Kilt (nee Bow and Arrow) seems to be opening at 10 to show games as well. I don't know if they'll be doing breakfasts, but they have Fullers ESB and Black Oak Pale and some pretty decent TVs since the remodel.
saintjohnswort.ca

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:Morning Alcoholism only needs a justification. Or a great belgian waffle.
I think we've had enough of Belgian Waffling.

:wink:

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

saints_gambit wrote:The Twisted Kilt (nee Bow and Arrow) seems to be opening at 10 to show games as well. I don't know if they'll be doing breakfasts, but they have Fullers ESB and Black Oak Pale and some pretty decent TVs since the remodel.
They apparently also have four Paulaner beers on tap. I'm not a Germany supporter but that to me is reason enough worth going.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

biegaman wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:The Twisted Kilt (nee Bow and Arrow) seems to be opening at 10 to show games as well. I don't know if they'll be doing breakfasts, but they have Fullers ESB and Black Oak Pale and some pretty decent TVs since the remodel.
They apparently also have four Paulaner beers on tap. I'm not a Germany supporter but that to me is reason enough worth going.
I saw my share of Stanley Cup games at the Kilt and I can confirm they have Paulaner Weisse, Pilsner, Lager and Dunkel on tap. They have a big German flag hanging at the bar too.

The Kilt is a pretty decent spot to watch sports. They've got three large flat panel HDTVs, usually keep the volume on, good beer and good food.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Cass wrote:I saw my share of Stanley Cup games at the Kilt and I can confirm they have Paulaner Weisse, Pilsner, Lager and Dunkel on tap. They have a big German flag hanging at the bar too.

The Kilt is a pretty decent spot to watch sports. They've got three large flat panel HDTVs, usually keep the volume on, good beer and good food.
I'm sold.

Will it be necessary to get there early for the match this afternoon?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Cass,

Is it the Munchner Dunkel or the Weissbier Dunkel?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

biegaman wrote:Cass,

Is it the Munchner Dunkel or the Weissbier Dunkel?
According to The Beer Store online listings, the following five Paulaner beers are available in kegs:

PAULANER DUNKEL HEFE-WEISSBIER
PAULANER HEFE-WEISSBIER
PAULANER ORIGINAL MUNCHNER
PAULANER PREMIUM PILS
PAULANER SALVATOR

So unless the Kilt brought the Munchner Dunkel in special, it's likely the Weissbier Dunkel.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yes, Weiss Dunkel. I suspect most pubs will be busy for tomorrow's game, I would arrive early!