Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Taps Brewpub Niagara Falls

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Taps Brewpub Niagara Falls

Post by pootz »

I know this seems like guilding the lily to those who read my Taps beer reviews, but the remaking of the Taps Virgil brewing operation as a brew pub has produced some wonderful revolving offerings I feel I can recommend to everyone. Yes they're mostly German styles but they are made well in small batches, they're fresh, on style, clean and very very drinkable.

So far the new head brewer (who has an impressive CV for such a young guy) includes a Dortmunder, Munich Dunkel, Bamberg Rauchbier, Roggenbier, Bockbier, Vanilla weissbier, a porter and an intense micro IPA. They also have the commercial Taps beers on tap as well as Flying Monkeys Hoptical and Newstadt !0/30. There is also a hand pulled cask engine for special casks they crack on invitation.

http://tapsbeer.com/taps-brewing-compan ... selection/

The ambiance at Taps is pretty spartan but it's all sparkling new interior furnishings and the theme is unpretentious....like a block party in a small neighborhood brewery with live music and solid (good) unpretentious pub fare...I tried the Buffalo Style Chicken Sandwich on sourdough Focaccia...ample portion, fresh, well made, tasty, reasonable price.

http://tapsbeer.com/taps-on-queen-menu-items/

I was pleasantly surprised to discover Taps has mutated into a comfy decent little local brew pub with some good on-tap offerings and tasty pub grub. Worth a destination crawl or a definite must stop in Niagara Falls.
Last edited by pootz on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aventinus rules!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I was here just over a week ago. Grabbed a growler of the Rye Knot and a sixer of the Dortmunder, both solid if unspectacular beers. Service was excellent as the waitress gave me a 4oz sample of the rye beer before purchasing. They didn't have the Chuck Norris IPA ready yet, which was very disappointing, but whatever. Basically everything pootz has mentioned is spot on - this place is an up and comer in the Ontario beer scene, and if I had more time I would have sat down and ran through every one of their offerings. Any Towelers who can make it there this summer should take advantage of the beautiful large patio out front. A great brewpub that seems to be doing rare albeit traditional styles, and I was really impressed with the attractive, professional layout inside.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Thanks to Cratez, I got to try the Rye Knot, and I'll echo what Pootz says about it being a quality session beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

This is great to hear. When a few of us popped in last year not long after they opened, all they had on tap were their regular line-up, so it's good to see that they've taken to opportunity to branch out. Will have to plan a return visit sometime.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

GregClow wrote:This is great to hear. When a few of us popped in last year not long after they opened, all they had on tap were their regular line-up, so it's good to see that they've taken to opportunity to branch out. Will have to plan a return visit sometime.
I was there this time last year and they were just getting the brew op underway, it was pretty confused.

I think this new head brewer is a real asset and he is utilizing the new brewing equipment to the max keeping revolving offerings going. They say demand on the rotating beers is enough to justify some more combitanks.
Aventinus rules!

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I was hanging out with their head brewer, Kevin, on the weekend. The guy definitely knows what he's doing and apparently their distribution has increased a huge amount since he took over.

The most impressive thing that he's done is to start up a growler club, where people get to choose between a couple of styles of beer for him to brew and then they get to take it home with them. It's a monthly thing and it's a really good program that ensures there's always something new to work on and keeps the brewer engaged.

His CV is definitely impressive, plus the guy is very into the science of brewing. There were a couple of times talking to him where I had to get him to slow down and explain the chemical processes he was describing.
saintjohnswort.ca

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

saints_gambit wrote:
His CV is definitely impressive, plus the guy is very into the science of brewing. There were a couple of times talking to him where I had to get him to slow down and explain the chemical processes he was describing.
I understand he's teaching a brewing course at Niagara College.

All I know is the Taps beers are clean as a whistle with zero off tastes and they hit the mark as well crafted offerings....very drinkable....went through the growler of dunkel before half time on a CFL game. 8)
Aventinus rules!

carguy

Post by carguy »

GregClow wrote:This is great to hear. When a few of us popped in last year not long after they opened, all they had on tap were their regular line-up, so it's good to see that they've taken to opportunity to branch out. Will have to plan a return visit sometime.
I found the same when I was there a couple times last summer; they only had the three beers on tap, and didn't even have the growler or bottle sales set up. We still really enjoyed it though. We're planning a trip to Niagara this weekend, so we will re-visit it for sure.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I actually joined the 'growler club' last month and I can say that it was pretty interesting. So much so that I look forward to going back this month. I had both the dunkel and the rauchbier and although they were toned down for their styles they were solid beers. I haven't had their chuck norris IPA, but I should be getting a sample of it in a couple weeks time. Much of the discussion was centered around food pairings, but I'm hoping that we will get into more technical discussions such as malt bills and hop ratios. If anyone from the bartowel plans on joining let me know and perhaps we can meet up.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Having never been to taps, but am a regular of niagaras best I decided to stop in tonight after reading this post. I was very dissapointed when I first had their cream ale a few years ago, which has stopped me from ever going in. Tonight changed my mind though. The waitress claimed there was only 5 beers on tap and only 2 of them sounded intresesting. I had the rauchbeir and the dunkle. Both were very nice and sessionable. The dunkle was my fav of these 2. I also tried a few sips of a friend vanila wheat and it was a pleaseent suprise. I could drink many pints of it, but the other 2 appealed to me more. I look forward to going back and trying their rye knot, and ipa once their available.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Went to taps the other night for some drinks with friends. First time having their food, but everyone raved about it. Good quality and portions. They are currently poruing there ipa which is very good. A little lacking in the aroma department for me, but everything else seemed right to me. Also their special is an esb which was very refreshing with a great balance between hops and malt.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

In recent weeks have tried:

the dunkel
the premium lager
the rauch
the wit (my vote for the best of the bunch)
and the Chuck Noris.

I have yet to be disappointed. This brewer is doing one hell of a job and I am looking forward to my next visit.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

How is the Chuck Norris?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

The Chuck is currently on tap at Volo. I found it to be very good. Around 6.5% abv I gather.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

midlife crisis wrote:The Chuck is currently on tap at Volo. I found it to be very good. Around 6.5% abv I gather.
+1. Had it at Volo last night, and enjoyed.