Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Current State of Niagara's Best Brewpub

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dutchcanuck

The Current State of Niagara's Best Brewpub

Post by dutchcanuck »

My fiancee and I went to Niagara's Best Brewpub on Friday night because I wanted to sample their Ginger Ale and I had been intrigued by some of their latest brews.

The ginger ale was inoffensive, not overly 'gingery,' but I would order it again and I was happy to take a Growler home with me.

As for the food...I will not eat there again. Let me preface with their menu is very small. If you are going to offer less than a dozen items you better be confident in the product your putting on the customer's plate. I ordered the burger and my fiancee had the fish and chips.

First...do not, DO NOT, serve frozen fries. If you have a small menu do not serve frozen food. Seriously. You brew the beer you serve, but you're going to dish out commercially produced frozen crap? Yuck.

The fish was pretty good and she said that she'd have it again, but I wish I could say the same about my meal. I ordered the burger, which comes with bacon and cheese, but was covered in what tasted like processed cheese food. I wanted to complain. It was disgusting. I have never met a burger I did not want to eat until today.

So go for the brew, but skip the pub. The Niagara region now has three brewpubs; The Merchant Ale House in St. Catharines and both Taps and Niagara's Best in Niagara Falls. None of them are perfect, but if Niagara's Best really wants to set itself apart and promote itself as something other than a tourist attraction it needs to change. I'm talking about the giant beer bottles flanking the door and the pint glass porch.

Its been over a year since Niagara's Best opened and I think they have lost a lot of ground to Taps. I wish them the best of luck since they are pushing the envelope in Niagara with some of their beers, but sadly they will be nothing more for me now than a place to grab a growler.

I think I just need to accept the fact that if I want good beer AND good food I have to go the extra distance and drive to Cole's in Buffalo. Sigh.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

dutchcanuck wrote:I wanted to complain.
So, why didn't you?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

velovampire wrote:
So, why didn't you?
Because Canadians won't complain at the time; they just like to 'bitch' after the fact :evil:

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Torontoblue wrote:
velovampire wrote:
So, why didn't you?
Because Canadians won't complain at the time; they just like to 'bitch' after the fact :evil:
Although a generalization, for the most part that's sadly too true.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

The reason I didn't complain was because it was a Friday night and the place was pretty much dead...never a good sign. The women behind the bar and our server acted as if hanging out and chatting was more important than serving customers. Although they were both quite pleasant the service just wasn't there. So I thought to myself....wow this is like a scene out of Kitchen Nightmares, so what's the point of complaining? I'm also a non-confrontational person by nature and would rather just pay the bill and vote with my wallet.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

dutchcanuck wrote:The reason I didn't complain was because it was a Friday night and the place was pretty much dead...never a good sign. The women behind the bar and our server acted as if hanging out and chatting was more important than serving customers. Although they were both quite pleasant the service just wasn't there. So I thought to myself....wow this is like a scene out of Kitchen Nightmares, so what's the point of complaining? I'm also a non-confrontational person by nature and would rather just pay the bill and vote with my wallet.
Well, I hope you left a $0.01 tip as a 'silent' protest. But really, how are they supposed to know if the customers don't speak up?

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

One of the first times I went there I had a very similar exerience. My brother and I went one night for some drinks and food. It really is a shame about the fries. Such an easy thing to do that makes a world of difference. I agree with most of it being pre made food or highly processed. There club sandwhich I had was really pathetic. I couldve just walked down to no frills and made the exact same thing multiple times over for the $10 I paid. While we were there one of the owners was walking around asking how everything was. When we brought up our concerns about the food being crap. He pretty much brushed it off to this is what we offer sorry if you dont like it. It is a shame because I have found there brewers specials to be getting better and better. Plus they have 1 or two solid regular offerings. They diffinetly need to decide in what direction they want to take there business, because I cant see it lasting much longer.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I think Taps on Queen has a lot of potential myself. The food is fresh and made in house. I've never been disappointed there. But sadly their offerings are underwhelming. The Charleston Lager, the Red Cream ale and the premium lager are eminently forgettable The IPA is rarely on tap, but solid, same with deal with the Rye Not. A solid beer, but rarely on tap.

I really do like the fact that they have a special beer every month, currently its an ESB and its very reminiscent of Fullers ESB...so in other words drink up ;) But sadly they do not keep these offerings on tap.

I think what I'm seeing is the tale of two brewpubs. One is flourishing because its selling itself as a pub with solidly good food that just happens to brew its own beer.

Niagara's Best is trying to brew some exciting beers, which I will support, but the restaurant is detracting from a potentially excellent brewery. Also...its WAY too tacky.

As a target demographic: young - 28, educated, middle class, basically a yuppie, I would be more than happy to give the owner my 2 cents if he asked for it.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

dutchcanuck wrote: I think what I'm seeing is the tale of two brewpubs. One is flourishing because it's selling itself as a pub with solidly good food that just happens to brew its own beer.

Niagara's Best is trying to brew some exciting beers, which I will support, but the restaurant is detracting from a potentially excellent brewery. Also...its WAY too tacky.
Having visited both places and purchased about $100 worth of beer between the two I would definitely agree with this assessment. Four of us sampled the NB Drummond Hill Brown and Oatmeal Stout and were very impressed with the quality of each. The Blonde Ale and Lager are good drinkers as the brewpub's flagship and value brands. However, I was shocked to find that the bartender/cashier didn't know what an IPA was. Should she really be working at a brewpub where multiple customers might ask about the details of certain beers? At the very least some better staff training is needed.

The Taps brews - Rye Knot and Dortmunder - didn't exactly wow me but I was extremely satisfied with the quick and friendly service and I took some time to wander around the bar's attractive, sparkling interior. Didn't sample the food but I noticed the sizable dining area behind the bar and a chef all decked out in the professional gear working in the kitchen. So on the surface it appears they take their food seriously. In comparing the two places, and to reiterate what dutchcanuck has said, I would happily drop by NB to grab a growler of their rotating beer but would be more likely to choose Taps for a meal and drinks.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Good example: At C'est What people were very good to me when I smilingly replied as to how good my meal was... "I guess (the kitchen's) idea of 'medium' is dry and hard." They right away comped me the meal. I tipped pretty well that night and have eaten (and dranken) there many times since.

Always keep a sense of humor in your back pocket and don't be afraid to speak up.
In Beerum Veritas

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I have found the beer and food lacking at Niagara's Best for a while and have taken my business to Taps since. My initial impression wasn't bad but I have found my self not going there but it was mostly due to not liking the beer as much anymore. The food at Taps can be hit and miss but still better than Niagara's Best, and the beer is head and shoulders above and always improving.

I used to really like Niagara's Best Blond alot before they got into the restaurant business, something changed IMO when they made the move.

I hope they can fix some things cause it's great to have multiple destinations like that in the Niagara Region.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Is it just me or does Coles in Buffalo kill nearly every other bar?
In Beerum Veritas

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Dude!!

Do not even mention Cole's! I love that place so much! I love their andouille burger and I always get one pint and their 4 samplers. I am always impressed by their tap selection and the fact they are always getting new and fresh product in. The only improvement would be if they started serving cask ale, but I'm not going to hold it against them.

I'll be heading to buffalo in a few weeks and I plan on twisting my fiancee's arm to head there for dinner.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:Is it just me or does Coles in Buffalo kill nearly every other bar?
Yeah........but its in the US. Who want to go there?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

If anyone is ever passing through St. Catharines on their way to Cole's and/or Premier Gourmet let me know. I'd be more than happy to chip in for gas and cover the bridge toll.