Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Laughing Budda in Sudbury

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Simplefolk

Laughing Budda in Sudbury

Post by Simplefolk »

I had the pleasure to drop in here on a whim. WOW what a selection, too bad I was driving. You will be surprised and the owner is very informed. He travels mostly Ont and Quebec and picks up his orders. I will definately drop in again when i travel through. Check out the side secluded patio. It is larger than it looks. :lol: :lol:

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is the only place to have a good beer in Sudbury (other than my house ha). I think they can do a lot more in terms of private orders and what not but that's not a complaint more of a suggestion.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

I'm headed to Sudbury for work tonight for 3 days... I'm gonna have to check it out!

Which LCBO has the best beer selection so I can have a few for my hotel room?

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I've been there! Owner's a nice guy, good cheap food, and the best beer selection in town.

It's obvious that they're all just the more obscure LCBO choices — at least that's what it was when I went — but at least they're trying.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

I live in Sudbury and visit the Buddha on occasion. The beer selection is great, Simplefolk - relative to the rest of Sudbury - that is, pretty terrible. You pay a pretty premium on Belgians and 'BO seasonals (St Peter's Cream Stout). If it weren't for hoarding beers from down south, I'd be pretty bummed out relying on the selection in stores here. You make do on drinking beers like Pilsner Urquell, wide availability! and a great stand-by, IMO. I hear they have Cvechvar on tap at the Buddha as well.

bobmorton

Post by bobmorton »

nice one
Bob Morton
Marriage in crisis adviser.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Will hit the buddha on my way up North in December. It'll be a refreshing change of pace to have a decent beer in Sudbury.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Seems like an interesting place. I'm in Sudbury once a year for a swim meet at Laurentian University, so I could check it out sometime. Sudbury always reminds me of that song by Bran Van 3000, Drinking in LA: "But we did nothing, absolutely nothing that day, and I say:
What the hell am I doing drinking in L.A. at 26?"*

*I am not 26

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

Went tonight for a couple of beers. Kind of an interesting place, good bottle selection but most of the taps were empty. Saw after that the townehouse next door has live music, may have to go back tomorrow.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

They also usually have Smashbomb on tap next door at the Townhouse. Live music every night. They owner is doing a great job with both places. I would also recommend hitting up Hardrock 42 for some good beers.
We can get drunker than this!!

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

irishkyle21 wrote:They also usually have Smashbomb on tap next door at the Townhouse. Live music every night. They owner is doing a great job with both places. I would also recommend hitting up Hardrock 42 for some good beers.
Thanks for the info

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Went to this place with a friend while passing through on an overnight trip. The food is great. Bottle selection while large was fairly common stuff. I stuck with the Big Rock IPA(which I didn't like at all) and Grasshopper. Great atmosphere...much better than anything else I experienced up north.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Yes - I was in Sudbury a while back and sent HogTownHarry an SOS as I couldn't find any good beer, he told be to go there. How happy I was! Great selection, pizza was great too.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Managed to squeeze a visit to here along with Hardrock42 pub. The tap selection was pretty boring with some macro's and Bigrock. The bottle selection was mostly beers from the LCBO, mind you nothing I've ever seen in Sudbury before. The service and food were great though, but I wouldn't go here for the beer.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"