Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Condition Beer at the Arrow & Loon in Ottawa

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ScottyJ77

Post by ScottyJ77 »

Date has changed to coincide with the OCB beer week to Sunday June 26 from 11am and yes 12 midnight (or until beer runs out). There will be an update soon and something on the website as well.

ps I should be getting the new Kichesippi 1855 Dark Ale today, thanks Mr. Paul Meek

ScottyJ77

Post by ScottyJ77 »

We have just tapped a new keg of Kichesippi 1855 Dark Ale Cask conditioned beer

Friday April 21 at 5:15pm

notdan

Post by notdan »

Finally back in Ottawa. Keep the updates coming, can't wait to have some local cask beer!

notdan

Post by notdan »

Dropped in last night.

I first tried the cask Nickel Brook Tarzan Marzen. Didn't exactly work out. It looked more like a creamy coffee or mocha milkshake than a beer. That, and it had definitely gone sour. My guess is that I got the sediment at the end of the cask. The waitress relayed a message from the bartender, saying that the beer had recently travelled, which is why it was so murky. Not sure if that's the case though since the website claims the cask was tapped 11 days ago (although perhaps they got another one). Anyway, I would have drunk it if it still tasted alright, but it was quite sour... not the desired flavour for a Marzen. Sent that one back and wasn't charged, so no (edit) worries there.

Next was a cask Kichesippi Natural Blonde, which was fresh and quite tasty. This is what I came in looking for... a nice, slick and light bodied, flavourful cask ale.

Then had a pint of Muskoka Cabin Fever IPA. Was really excited to try this one since I didn't expect to see it in the Ottawa area. Not overly hoppy but some subtle fruit complexity to it, good stuff.

Also tried a sip of the new Kichesippi 1855 Dark Ale, which was nothing extraordinary, but was solid and tasty. Like the blonde, it's not going to offend anyone by being too extreme, but it is reasonably flavourful, tastes good, and doesn't have any real flaws. Will be having more in the future.

Overall I was really impressed with the tap list and look forward to returning. Hopefully I don't have another bad cask experience in the near future.
Last edited by notdan on Fri May 27, 2011 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

ScottyJ77

Post by ScottyJ77 »

You were right about the keg being off, next customer had the same comments, I tried it and it was on its way, my apologies. The keg was cloudy right when we tapped it and was cloudy the whole time we had it, which made it difficult to tell when its done. Its actual prime drinkability came about 5-6 days after tapping it. Wish you had it when it was prime, you'd have liked it! Beaus Screaming Beaver tapped yesterday (Wednesday May 26th) but already almost gone. Going to have a fresh whole line up in the next day or two.

notdan

Post by notdan »

I'd love to try the Screaming Beaver on cask! Please post next time you guys get a cask. :)

Wish I lived closer so that I could drop by more often, but I'll definitely be back many times this summer. One more pub to add to my current rotation of BDT, Pub Italia, and The Manx.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

notdan wrote:I'd love to try the Screaming Beaver on cask! Please post next time you guys get a cask. :)

Wish I lived closer so that I could drop by more often, but I'll definitely be back many times this summer. One more pub to add to my current rotation of BDT, Pub Italia, and The Manx.
How's the Manx?

notdan

Post by notdan »

tyler90 wrote:
notdan wrote:I'd love to try the Screaming Beaver on cask! Please post next time you guys get a cask. :)

How's the Manx?
Not a huge selection but a nice small basement pub with a really good vibe. Can get very busy around dinner time (or brunch time on Sundays) because the food is rather amazing. They usually have Beau's, Kichesippi, St. Ambroise, Church Key, Creemore, etc.

ScottyJ77

Post by ScottyJ77 »

The price for the Cask Festival tickets have dropped to $5 in advance and $10 at the door.

notdan

Post by notdan »

ScottyJ77 wrote:The price for the Cask Festival tickets have dropped to $5 in advance and $10 at the door.
Nice. That's a huge drop. Are tickets solely on sale at the bar?

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I would not have attended at the old price. Now I'm at least a maybe.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Who's in for the cask event Sunday? I'll be there for lunch and the early afternoon.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

notdan

Post by notdan »

I should be there, but probably not until late afternoon. Hopefully they save some good stuff!

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

I'm planning on attending but I'm not sure when.

Anyone have any more details on what will be available? Will they be tapping everything at the start or saving some for later in the day?

Their website has very little info (e.g. "various guest speakers", "live bands"). I'll probably be buying my ticket Fri or Sat so I can ask then, but it would seem like they should spend a bit of time updating their website to make us think it'll actually be a well organized event...

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

I just picked up my ticket and the waitress said there are only 3 tickets left.