Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stout Irish Pub

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Stout Irish Pub

Post by Cass »

New place just opened this week.

Stout Irish Pub, opened by a couple of ex-Irish macro pub staffers. Feels like a Irish pub "concept" but certainly isn't like the others.

20 taps, about 15 Ontario craft + McAuslan, Big Rock and Murphy's. No Guinness. Wide range of differing Ontario craft breweries represented. Cask on the way. Predominately light ales & lagers from Ontario craft but there is GL Canuck and Dead Elephant. Hopefully beer menu evolves into more interesting OCB offerings. Full food menu.

Three distinct areas comprise the space - a lower, den-like area with fireplace at the window, upper bar area with high tables and back dining area. Patio in the springtime. Some nice touches such as burning peat and an old piano from one of the proprietor's family members who also ran a pub. TV's in the upper areas but not in the den. Very comfortable spot and could see time passing by quite easily.

In the space formerly occupied by a Brass Taps but supposedly been empty for a couple of years. Located at 221 Carlton Street East, just before Parliament.

A promising place in a part of the city that doesn't have much in the way of craft beer. Great to see.

www.stoutirishpub.ca

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Stout Irish Pub... no Guinness... that's going to confuse a few people! Or maybe it'll open some eyes? (I've never liked Guinness).

notdan

Post by notdan »

I'd be quite interested to try Murphy's on tap. Loved it in the can when I was in Ireland. Will try to check this place out next time I pass through Toronto.

TJ

Post by TJ »

I noticed this place for the first time on Friday and I meant to check this out Saturday as it's only about a five minute walk from my place. There really is no where in the Cabbagetown area that I have noticed that has a good beer selection. Hopefully this place fits the bill!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

TJ wrote:I noticed this place for the first time on Friday and I meant to check this out Saturday as it's only about a five minute walk from my place. There really is no where in the Cabbagetown area that I have noticed that has a good beer selection. Hopefully this place fits the bill!
House on Parliament is pretty good. I haven't been in a while, but I was in the area a lot last winter. They had a couple Wellington beers, plus the Great Lakes Winter Ale. Food was better than most pubs too.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

kwjd wrote:
TJ wrote:I noticed this place for the first time on Friday and I meant to check this out Saturday as it's only about a five minute walk from my place. There really is no where in the Cabbagetown area that I have noticed that has a good beer selection. Hopefully this place fits the bill!
House on Parliament is pretty good. I haven't been in a while, but I was in the area a lot last winter. They had a couple Wellington beers, plus the Great Lakes Winter Ale. Food was better than most pubs too.
HOP has awesome food but the beer leaves a lot to be desired. They have one Wellington beer, the Dark Ale. They carry two Great Lakes beers, Red Leaf Lager and they rotate the seasonal. The seasonal ends up being the Winter Ale, the Orange Peel ale and the Canuck Pale Ale. I ordered the Canuck once a lot time ago and the server told me not to get it, it was "gross". Haha. When I insisted he thought I was nuts.

All that being said, HOP is my fave pub in the city because the food is so awesome for the price, and it's 5 mins from home. Having this new place right around the corner will be great. Eat at HOP, go next door to drink.

De-railing the thread a bit... The Blake House on the east side of Jarvis between Carlton and Wellesley has a decent lineup of Ontario craft beers and it pretty new. It used to be The Red Lion but has been renovated big time and looks pretty nice inside now. The food has been pretty solid, and the TVs at the bar make it a great spot to watch the game and grab a beer. Nothing mindblowing on tap but WAY better than HOP for a pint. A couple Mill St taps, Steam Whistle, Muskoka (Cream I think)...

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Mill Street Original, Organic Lager, Creemore Springs,
Mill Street Tankhouse Ale, Steamwhistle,
Amsterdam Dark, Kawartha Lakes Raspberry Wheat,
Big Rock Grasshopper Wheat, Muskoka Cream Ale

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

I'm sorry, is it summer already?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Steve Beaumont wrote:
I'm sorry, is it summer already?
Maybe they're wishing it was. I know I am... 8)
lister

TJ

Post by TJ »

JesseMcG wrote:Mill Street Original, Organic Lager, Creemore Springs,
That's The Blake House's list I think?

According to Stout's menu they have this to offer:

Murphy’s Irish Stout - It has a smooth bitter taste, which is full bodied and satisfying

Caffrey’s - Smooth creamy caramel flavor Irish Ale

Steam Whistle Millstreet Organic - Light, golden colour, light floral hop aroma, pleasant malty/biscuit taste with a well-balanced finish. Very clean, with no aftertaste

Millstreet Tankhouse - Aroma shows rich fruity happiness (cherry, plum), plus woody notes, and lightly smokey crystal malts.

Creemore Great Lakes Cask - Seasonal Canuck - this copper coloured beer boasts an unmistakable hoppy aroma and lingering bitterness, complemented by a soft bready malt flavour

King Pilsner - It delivers a soft texture, complimented by the proper balance of import Pilsner Malt and Czech Saaz Hops.

Amsterdam Big Wheel

Big Rock Grasshopper

St. Andre Vienna Lager

Railway City Dead Elephant

Scotch Irish Corporals Bitter Brown Ale - A radical brown ale, with flavours of chocolate, fresh brewed coffee and anise.

Camerons Auburn Ale - Watch for a generous hop nose, smooth maltiness followed by a deep dry smooth hoppy finish.

Muskoka Cream Ale - crisp and refreshingly hopped with a wonderful malt balance.

St.Ambroise Oatmeal Stout - “Extremely dark, roasty and full-flavored stout with notes of espresso and bitter-sweet chocolate.”

Apricot Wheat Ale - “Light-bodied wheat beer with a balanced contribution of apricot flavors in the aroma and on the palate.”

Scotch Irish - Plain Porter Stuarts Irish - A dry deep brown ale with flavours of dark chocolate and espresso.

Big Rock - rock creek cider

Incidentally I walked by there on my way to volo on Tuesday and it looked pretty dead.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

TJ wrote:
JesseMcG wrote:Mill Street Original, Organic Lager, Creemore Springs,
That's The Blake House's list I think?

According to Stout's menu they have this to offer:

Murphy’s Irish Stout - It has a smooth bitter taste, which is full bodied and satisfying

Caffrey’s - Smooth creamy caramel flavor Irish Ale

Steam Whistle Millstreet Organic - Light, golden colour, light floral hop aroma, pleasant malty/biscuit taste with a well-balanced finish. Very clean, with no aftertaste

Millstreet Tankhouse - Aroma shows rich fruity happiness (cherry, plum), plus woody notes, and lightly smokey crystal malts.

Creemore Great Lakes Cask - Seasonal Canuck - this copper coloured beer boasts an unmistakable hoppy aroma and lingering bitterness, complemented by a soft bready malt flavour

King Pilsner - It delivers a soft texture, complimented by the proper balance of import Pilsner Malt and Czech Saaz Hops.

Amsterdam Big Wheel

Big Rock Grasshopper

St. Andre Vienna Lager

Railway City Dead Elephant

Scotch Irish Corporals Bitter Brown Ale - A radical brown ale, with flavours of chocolate, fresh brewed coffee and anise.

Camerons Auburn Ale - Watch for a generous hop nose, smooth maltiness followed by a deep dry smooth hoppy finish.

Muskoka Cream Ale - crisp and refreshingly hopped with a wonderful malt balance.

St.Ambroise Oatmeal Stout - “Extremely dark, roasty and full-flavored stout with notes of espresso and bitter-sweet chocolate.”

Apricot Wheat Ale - “Light-bodied wheat beer with a balanced contribution of apricot flavors in the aroma and on the palate.”

Scotch Irish - Plain Porter Stuarts Irish - A dry deep brown ale with flavours of dark chocolate and espresso.

Big Rock - rock creek cider

Incidentally I walked by there on my way to volo on Tuesday and it looked pretty dead.
Yes, I listed the beers for Blake House... thanks TJ.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Nice place but expensive. Stuck to the Appetizer menu and had the Irish Chips which were excellent but pricey at $7.99. Muskoka Cream Ale was $7.13 a pint (plus tax). The Murphy's cost less.

A good number of people there early Friday evening.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

TwoPint wrote:Muskoka Cream Ale was $7.13 a pint (plus tax).
Ouch.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TJ

Post by TJ »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
TwoPint wrote:Muskoka Cream Ale was $7.13 a pint (plus tax).
Ouch.
Agreed. This makes me want to check this place out a lot less.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

TJ wrote:This makes me want to check this place out a lot less.
By all means check it out. It's a nice place with pleasant staff. But pick your spots. The price of the King Pilsner was in line with other establishments.