Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Victory Cafe sold

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:
lister wrote:No half pints anymore. :(
Seriously? I find that odd. Especially for those moments I often have near the end of the night where I think "well I don't want another full pint, I'll have a half" means if that's not an option I may just have nothing.

Exactly, Jer.
I don't see this as a fundamentally good decision.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

I don't think I have ever ordered a half-pint at the Victory so it doesn't bother me. An odd decision though.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JerCraigs wrote: Seriously? I find that odd. Especially for those moments I often have near the end of the night where I think "well I don't want another full pint, I'll have a half" means if that's not an option I may just have nothing.
That was exactly the situation I was in. The third period of the Leafs game was coming up, I had two pints at Victory already plus nearly three pints at Guu earlier with dinner. I didn't want a full pint so I asked for a half and was told they don't do half pints anymore. So I had to order a full pint and more or less split it with the girlfriend who was nearly finished her Denison's. She would have likely ordered herself another beer, probably a half of Nicklebrook's Marzen which she quite likes. That would have meant more overall $$$ for the bar. Ah well.

Needless to say I'm a little soured at going back to Victory just when it looked like we'd be giving Victory a lot more business soon with summer coming up (patio!) and it's a natural spot to go to after the new Guu opened up nearby recently. (We prefer that location more than the Church location.)
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Should campaign against it. Half pints (or honestly 12 oz) are a good socially responsible option, and - according to differing biological capacity - women may just be less likely to order ANY beer (they only benefit from half the RDA of alcohol that men can to obtain the same health effects - antioxidant, etc.)

But I give 'em credit, their pints are very reasonable at The Vic. Can always leave the dregs instead of finishing.
In Beerum Veritas

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Big deal.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Malcolm wrote:Big deal.
Care to be a bit more constructive? It is a very big deal that a bar no longer offers the choice of serving size for an alcoholic product; it's quite irresponsible!

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Torontoblue wrote:Care to be a bit more constructive? It is a very big deal that a bar no longer offers the choice of serving size for an alcoholic product; it's quite irresponsible!
Very big deal is a bit of stretch don't you think? It's not like they are forcing you to drink all of it. Order a pint and leave some at the bottom. A half-pint is usually around a $1 less, it's not a big deal.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Blankboy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Care to be a bit more constructive? It is a very big deal that a bar no longer offers the choice of serving size for an alcoholic product; it's quite irresponsible!
Very big deal is a bit of stretch don't you think? It's not like they are forcing you to drink all of it. Order a pint and leave some at the bottom. A half-pint is usually around a $1 less, it's not a big deal.
Why should I have to order a full pint when I don't want a full pint, and in turn giving the business more money than I am getting service for?

What if they bring in the 10 Bitter Years or any other high strength beer; shouldn't that be served in a half pint given it's alcohol content?

To force customers to only being able to order a full pint is irresponsible.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Torontoblue wrote:Why should I have to order a full pint when I don't want a full pint, and in turn giving the business more money than I am getting service for?
You don't have to. If you can't drink a full pint, go home.
Torontoblue wrote:What if they bring in the 10 Bitter Years or any other high strength beer; shouldn't that be served in a half pint given it's alcohol content?
To force customers to only being able to order a full pint is irresponsible.
Well one, I don't recall The Victory ever having a beer that strong on tap and second, if it's too strong for you, don't order it. Why can't people be responsible for what they consume? If I've had too much to drink then I won't order a pint of 10 Bitter years, simple as that.

I'm not saying I'm happy they don't serve half-pints, I just don't care as the only time I ever order a half-pint is when I'm rating a shitload of beer. If I'm out to drink, I order pints.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Blankboy wrote: Why can't people be responsible for what they consume? If I've had too much to drink then I won't order a pint of 10 Bitter years, simple as that.

I'm not saying I'm happy they don't serve half-pints, I just don't care as the only time I ever order a half-pint is when I'm rating a shitload of beer. If I'm out to drink, I order pints.
Responsibility works both ways, does it not?

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Torontoblue wrote:Responsibility works both ways, does it not?
Well to me, not in the way we are talking about. They are there to provide a product that I am purchasing. They are responsible for ensuring that the product I buy is the product I receive and to ensure it's of good quality. That's about it as far as I'm concerned.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Blankboy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Responsibility works both ways, does it not?
Well to me, not in the way we are talking about. They are there to provide a product that I am purchasing. They are responsible for ensuring that the product I buy is the product I receive and to ensure it's of good quality. That's about it as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with you on that. I think it's just bad business. I'm not going to bitch, complain, campaign or anything, I'm just going to spend my money elsewhere. Lots of good beer bars in this city.
lister

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

lister wrote:
I agree with you on that. I think it's just bad business. I'm not going to bitch, complain, campaign or anything, I'm just going to spend my money elsewhere. Lots of good beer bars in this city.
Seriously? Because they don't serve half-pints?? Like Blankboy said, no one is forcing you to buy the extra pint. And if you do and don't finish it, who cares? Leaving beer on the bar isn't the crime it used to be.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Malcolm wrote:
lister wrote:
Seriously? Because they don't serve half-pints?? Like Blankboy said, no one is forcing you to buy the extra pint. And if you do and don't finish it, who cares? Leaving beer on the bar isn't the crime it used to be.
Seriously, why force customers into taking more than they want? Craft beer bars shouldn't treat beer like McDonalds treats burgers.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Malcolm wrote:
lister wrote:
Well really, the bar owners are forcing you to pay for more than you actually want to drink as there is only the option of a full pint.

Yes, the more savvy of us will only drink the amount we want, but there's a lot of people out there who have to finish what they've got as they have paid out their hard earned money. Options are always nice.