Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Victory Cafe sold

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beermat

Victory Cafe sold

Post by Beermat »

I'm surprised that no one has posted on this subject (unless it's in a subject category I hadn't thought of), but the Victory Cafe changed hands this week. We don't know much yet about the new owner or his plans, but those of us who would earn frequent flier points in a just world are nervous, to say the least. I haven't met the new guy yet, but I plan to encourage the continuance of craft and cask beer. Many thanks to Neil and Maz and the other partners for making this a pub I go to often. If it all goes to hell, I'll either get more exercise or spend less money, both of which I suppose are good things. Still...
Nick

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Agreed.

I really hope they do nothing more than fix up the toilets and give the place a bit of a spit and polish... I really, really hope the beer and spirit of the place is left intact.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Wow.

Neil & Maz really did make it a great place.

One of the best value's in town.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Beermat wrote: If it all goes to hell, I'll either get more exercise or spend less money, both of which I suppose are good things. Still...
Nick
^ being jocular but I think that's a great attitude in this ever-changing town. I was thinking the Vic has good food for a (TO) bar, and not everything is deep fried so you can count on being properly fed without a trip to the coronary ward.

Hope this need not change.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Beermat wrote:I'm surprised that no one has posted on this subject (unless it's in a subject category I hadn't thought of), but the Victory Cafe changed hands this week. We don't know much yet about the new owner or his plans, but those of us who would earn frequent flier points in a just world are nervous, to say the least. I haven't met the new guy yet, but I plan to encourage the continuance of craft and cask beer. Many thanks to Neil and Maz and the other partners for making this a pub I go to often. If it all goes to hell, I'll either get more exercise or spend less money, both of which I suppose are good things. Still...
Nick

Hopefully things stay the same, or hell, even improve.
I remember when Gambrinus changed owners last year, and we were all shatting the bed about what the new owner would do.
Will he keep the beer theme? That is a question we Londoners asked ourselves many times.
Thankfully the place has only improved, and so I hope the same for your local.

One thing I can suggest doing, and I know many of us did this here in London, is to call or approach the new owner and tell him/her point blank....

"Hey my name is .......... and I am a very regular customer of this establishment. I understand you are the new owner. COngrats on your acquisition. This is my favourite place to go for beer and snacks and I really like the beer theme here, and it is the main reason I choose to come here often. I hope you keep this theme going, as I'd hate to have to find a new local."

Something like that, not exact of course. But when Gambrinus changed hands last year, I know of at least 10-15 guys who approached Dudley personally. He listened.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

Thanks, Len. Good advice. I dropped a letter off for the new guy on Friday and look forward to some sort of response. Might just wander down there now to do a bit of quality control. Someone has to.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Beermat wrote:Thanks, Len. Good advice. I dropped a letter off for the new guy on Friday and look forward to some sort of response. Might just wander down there now to do a bit of quality control. Someone has to.
I've been doing much quality control there this past week. I've noticed less cask ale and new staff.

I really don't want my local watering hole to change.
enjoi

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Dropped my 2 cents off as well. Here's hoping that if changes are coming, they are for the better, but I can't shake this nagging feeling that we're not going to be pleased with the changes.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Well, from what I was told over the weekend cask is definitely staying, and that tap selection shouldn't be changing too much.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

I was there on Thursday night and asked and was told that all the changes are in the background (like a new fridge, etc.) and that the beer and food shouldn't change. Let's hope.

One great new development is that the cask for the last few weeks has been Great Lakes. When I was there it was Lackey's Casky followed by Aces High!
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Blankboy wrote:I was there on Thursday night and asked and was told that all the changes are in the background (like a new fridge, etc.) and that the beer and food shouldn't change. Let's hope.

One great new development is that the cask for the last few weeks has been Great Lakes. When I was there it was Lackey's Casky followed by Aces High!
I think cask is always going to be Great Lakes from now on.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Torontoblue wrote:
Blankboy wrote:I was there on Thursday night and asked and was told that all the changes are in the background (like a new fridge, etc.) and that the beer and food shouldn't change. Let's hope.

I think cask is always going to be Great Lakes from now on.
Niiiiice! I'll be there Thursday, can't wait to see what's on.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

No half pints anymore. :(
lister

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

lister wrote:No half pints anymore. :(
The brewery, or the option to get a half pint?
If it is the latter, all I can say is ghey. Another example of restaurants trying to push their customers away instead of bringing them in. It is the little things that make places go from good to great. a No half pints policy is about as queer as a three dollar bill.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

lister wrote:No half pints anymore. :(
Seriously? I find that odd. Especially for those moments I often have near the end of the night where I think "well I don't want another full pint, I'll have a half" means if that's not an option I may just have nothing.