Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Victory Cafe sold

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Garthicus wrote: Also, half pint drinkers are boring feckers...
Or are dieting/DD'ing

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I'm dieting but enjoying full pints. If you're DDing then have a coke.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I really don't see anything wrong with having a half pint. Beats Coke hands down, while still allowing people to be comfortable with being a DD. Seems awfully shortsighted to look at it any other way.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I really don't see anything wrong with having a half pint. Beats Coke hands down, while still allowing people to be comfortable with being a DD. Seems awfully shortsighted to look at it any other way.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I thought the point of drinking beer is it's more natural & far healther than soda pop. Stuff's usually loaded with corn syrup because corn's so cheap and they just love to add it to everything. Is the DD any better off an overweight diabetic with corn allergies?

(- 1 ) on the Garthmeister.

That said, there's wine. With a glass of wine the bar can only force so much alcohol down your gullet. Unless the Vic sells ONLY half-liters of wine now... I won't judge till I know.
In Beerum Veritas

nickw

Post by nickw »

Looks like the Victory Cafe's days are numbered, at least at their current location, which is a big part of its charm... the two levels, the great patio on a quiet street.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/07 ... llage.html

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

nickw wrote:Looks like the Victory Cafe's days are numbered, at least at their current location, which is a big part of its charm... the two levels, the great patio on a quiet street.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/07 ... llage.html
That's a damn shame, even if it's still a ways off. The Annex sorely lacks good beer spots (although a couple nice spots are popping up at Christie Pits), Victory being such a great spot in the hood. I realize some people think Ed's is an eyesore but it would be a real shame if it just became bland condos like so much else in the city.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass wrote:The Annex sorely lacks good beer spots (although a couple nice spots are popping up at Christie Pits)
Oh come on, The Beer Station has been there for ages and they have over 100 of the worst beers in the world!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:I realize some people think Ed's is an eyesore but it would be a real shame if it just became bland condos like so much else in the city.
For a city that aspires to be Manhattan we sure lack the political will to preserve and maintain that kind of charm (let alone ways to get around here as easily as NYC.)

This little corner by Ed's is cute, I would not be in a hurry to turn this block into a soulless money-grubbing abomination like much of Queen West.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

That would be sad...Also the Beguiling and Little Island - well, we spend a small fortune there every year and our kids love those place. I'm sure they will find a new place, but Markham street has always been quite sweet. Such a shame.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

After closing earlier this year, the Victory Cafe's website is back online with a notice that it's reopening at 440 Bloor Street West in "Fall of 2017."

I was never a huge fan of the original location, mostly due to the staff, but I'm still glad to see this former T.O. institution taking another kick at the can. And I'll definitely give them another shot when they reopen at the new location. Good news for The Annex.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:I was never a huge fan of the original location
Well the original, original Vic was at Bathurst & Follis Ave. a few blocks south of Dupont. You know, before it was cool. 8)

I would say for all its shortcomings the Markham address will remain the coolest historic location. The Howland & Bloor location changes rapidly though & there's some good stuff along this part of the Bloor Subway Route.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Huh, never knew about the Follis Ave spot (I'm a recent T.O. transplant). Agree that the easy subway access to the Howland location will be a draw for some. Even coming from where I live, it's only 35 minutes via transit. Looking forward to checking out the new space when it opens.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Went to the new location last night. Completely different looking compared to the Markham St spot. It's got a western-ish motif perhaps. The beer selection is good. Thirty taps, one or two casks. Food looked decent.

If I lived in the area I'd be pretty happy that Crafty Coyote and Victory Cafe are there. Given that I don't live in the area, there's no compelling reason for me to purposefully go there except if I'm in the neighbourhood.
lister