Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Town Crier Pub

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lister wrote:
zane9 wrote:Reviving an old thread.

Do these two pubs share common ownership?

I was looking at Thrillist, which did a "best of" back in July. http://www.thrillist.com/drink/toronto/ ... o?ir=venue

Town Crier and Sin & Redemption were on the list. I looked at their sites: the beer and food menus at both venues seem too similar to be a coincidence. Or is it?

I haven't been to either one yet, but hope to get there.
Same ownership.

They have another place too: Pre-Nup Pub
Yup. And also The Village Idiot, which was the first of them all.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Has anyone actually been to the Pre-Nup Pub? I've completely ignored it based on its awful name which, taken with its proximity to UofT, made me think it was just another crappy joint, but 70 beers on tap?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

nickw wrote:Has anyone actually been to the Pre-Nup Pub? I've completely ignored it based on its awful name which, taken with its proximity to UofT, made me think it was just another crappy joint, but 70 beers on tap?
The tap & bottle lists are both pretty nice looking - with some good bargains on the bottle list in particular (Westy 8 AND 12 for $22 each!!!):

http://www.prenuppub.com/beer_draft.html
http://www.prenuppub.com/beer_bottle.html

And I agree on the name of the place being awful.

aofe

Post by aofe »

I did go there when it opened for a quick drink. Was semi full on a Friday night. Younger crowd, maybe just to see what's going on. They did have quite a few taps, but some beers on the menu are missing. As for the name. it was a last minute change from what I've heard.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Dropped by the Pre-Nup. Very well made over decor compared to what used to be there. Very in line with the vibe at Sin and Redemption, but with a heck of a lot more taps.

Some of the beers were not there, but the did seem to have the Westys in stock for $22. Some other bottles like Omer which I've not seen around were all either $8 or $8.50. They even have the Timmermans Gueuze (which is at Volo and Wverst for more) for $8. It might take a couple tries to get some things, but with most taps at $6.95 and most bottles at $8 there is a fair bit of import range. If you want to slam a range of trappists without stockpiling LCBO releases, they've got pretty much everything of the classics for $8 a pop or $22 for a 750 mL (like Achel Extra).

Anyway, service was good and they were good about letting us know which bottles might not be around at the moment. I'd be a fun place to spend an afternoon sharing bottles and some more interesting import taps that aren't around as often as they should be (even if they are just solid beers like Thurn und Taxis St. Wolfgang Dunkel).