Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill St. Looking to Open Brewpub in Ottawa

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jayB

Mill St. Looking to Open Brewpub in Ottawa

Post by jayB »

I heard on CBC Radio Ottawa this morning that Mill St. has submitted plans to City Hall to turn the site of the old Mill restaurant into a small brewpub (they mentioned 40 kegs a week). Sounds like it's just in the planning and permits stage, but that seems like a great place for a brewpub if it happened. It would be great to have another one in town, and also pretty nice to have access to some more Mill St. beers, beyond what we can get in the LCBO.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

A friend forwarded me a link this morning from the CBC website. Here it is:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/st ... ewery.html
A Toronto microbrewery has signed a lease to set up a restaurant and brewery at the site of the old Mill restaurant along the Ottawa River.

The Mill Street Brewery, a popular brewer in Toronto that sells its beer at the Beer Store and the LCBO, unveiled its plans when it filled out a planning rationale and architectural drawings with the City of Ottawa.

It wants to brew about 40 kegs of beer a week, offer beer tastings and operate a large restaurant at the site of the 165-year old stone structure between the Portage Bridge and Lebreton Flats, the National Capital Commission confirmed Friday.

The brewer signed a 10-year lease with an option to renew with the NCC, which owns the land. The NCC had put out a request for proposals for the site after the previous tenant, the Mill Restaurant, closed in 2007.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

jayB

Post by jayB »

Ah, thanks. I did a quick Google search, but I couldn't find anything. Guess I should have checked the online version of the same source. From reading that, I think the guy just read that story out on the radio verbatim.

probstk

Post by probstk »

jayB wrote:I heard on CBC Radio Ottawa this morning that Mill St. has submitted plans to City Hall to turn the site of the old Mill restaurant into a small brewpub (they mentioned 40 kegs a week). Sounds like it's just in the planning and permits stage, but that seems like a great place for a brewpub if it happened. It would be great to have another one in town, and also pretty nice to have access to some more Mill St. beers, beyond what we can get in the LCBO.
Amen. It would give the Ottawa beer scene a much-needed boost. With any luck, it will either force Clocktower to raise the bar or will put them under.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Holy shit - this is awesome news. If I lived in Ottawa, I'd be hyped!

notdan

Post by notdan »

MILL street takes over the MILL restaurant? They've clearly been planning this for years.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Just spoke with Steve Abrams about this and they're pretty excited about joining the other breweries/brewpubs in the Ottawa area. More choice of Ottawa people is always a great thing...

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

So happy to hear this news. Beer scene needed a big boost and this is going to help.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i heard that mill st will expand this concept in big markets nationally

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

matt7215 wrote:i heard that mill st will expand this concept in big markets nationally
That would be interesting to see.

I would love to see Mill Street start to push the envelope more with bigger beers and bolder styles.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

CBC Ottawa interview this week with Joel Manning
http://www.cbc.ca/ottawamorning/2011/11 ... et-brewery

Joel talks about 3 new beers to be brewed there.
Irish Red Ale - flavoured with maple syrup (which he admits is "goofy")
Brown Ale - Biere de Garde
Cream Ale

Google Map/Satellite
http://g.co/maps/nx2rx

Youtube construction video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SGtbQruwGIA

Opening "early in the new year"
I predict this place will kick ass in spite of these (IMO) odd initial beers.

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

NRman wrote:Opening "early in the new year"
The Mill Street website says the grand opening is Jan 20th:
http://www.millstreetbrewpub.ca/content ... b-ottawa-0