Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wvrst to open on King West in TO

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

Wvrst to open on King West in TO

Post by zane9 »

According to Toronto Life, Wvrst, a sausage-and-craft-beer resto will be opening in May. Indoor seating for 140, with a boulevard patio.

I have clients nearby, so I'm looking forward to their opening.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Usually it's guys from Italy or Germany who realize what's missing and try to make the real stuff here. Even some sausage they sell at the Healthy Butcher, OK maybe the meat's good but those guys are still far from accomplished sausage-makers. I think doing it well takes a cultural familiarity.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Let's hope it does better than the Bavarian hall that was on Richmond, or was it Wellington? Great big space, good sausage and 'kraut, half decent pilsner selection but the place just never took off.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Torontoblue wrote:Let's hope it does better than the Bavarian hall that was on Richmond, or was it Wellington? Great big space, good sausage and 'kraut, half decent pilsner selection but the place just never took off.
Richmond & just east of York.
lister

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

lister wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Let's hope it does better than the Bavarian hall that was on Richmond, or was it Wellington? Great big space, good sausage and 'kraut, half decent pilsner selection but the place just never took off.
Is that still open? I always meant to stop in for a pint because I remember them having a few decent German draughts you couldn't get in bottle around here. Anybody know the name/website?

jcc

Post by jcc »

biegaman wrote:
lister wrote:
Is that still open? I always meant to stop in for a pint because I remember them having a few decent German draughts you couldn't get in bottle around here. Anybody know the name/website?
It's been gone for a couple years now.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I've been in touch with the owner/chef, and it sounds very promising.

They will be sourcing the sausages from a couple of solid suppliers using prime quality ingredients, and Stephen Beaumont is consulting on the beer list.

Plus they'll be making Belgian-style frites, double-dipped in duck fat. *drool*

zane9

Post by zane9 »

GregClow wrote:...Plus they'll be making Belgian-style frites, double-dipped in duck fat. *drool*
^ +1 !!!

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

that somewhat-baffling German favourite, currywurst.
I'm not sure what is baffling, even somewhat, about currywurst but I'm looking forward to it. It's so popular in Berlin there's even a currywurst museum:

http://www.currywurstmuseum.de/en/

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

GregClow wrote: Plus they'll be making Belgian-style frites, double-dipped in duck fat. *drool*
Not enough places in Canada take fries seriously. It's as if serving non-frozen fries is an accomplishment in and of itself.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

was there today, the place is really coming together

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Philip1 wrote:
that somewhat-baffling German favourite, currywurst.
I'm not sure what is baffling, even somewhat, about currywurst but I'm looking forward to it.
Memories of the harbor in Hamburg years back (Fish market and Reeperbahn), but certainly not the greatest thing outta Germany.

The peak of the art form (at least extremely popular) is fatty Nurnburger Brats (preferably with loads of marjoram) and Thüringer Brats (similar, but sometimes more caraway and leaner.) Fresh Weisswurst are more a local Bavarian specialty and right up there as well. Forget major brand 'Weisswurst" sold here.

Tonight I'm grilling up some sheep sausage made by a really good artisan from Germany. They are similar style to (and just as good as) the Berkshire-pork 'Nurnburger' ones he also makes (very 'meaty' sausages with no fillers or nasty bits thrown in.)

selectfinefoods.ca

"Fiesta Farms on Christie and at our shop located at 133 Milvan Drive."
- Don from SFF
In Beerum Veritas

aser

Post by aser »

Belgian wrote: Even some sausage they sell at the Healthy Butcher, OK maybe the meat's good but those guys are still far from accomplished sausage-makers. I think doing it well takes a cultural familiarity.
Go to Segovia in Kensington Market for snausages, cultural level 10 there.

Let's hope they know what they're doing, minimum we have to see Delirium Tremens there since they can just buy kegs from the beer store.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

aser wrote:Let's hope they know what they're doing, minimum we have to see Delirium Tremens there since they can just buy kegs from the beer store.
What?

aser

Post by aser »

JesseMcG wrote:
aser wrote:Let's hope they know what they're doing, minimum we have to see Delirium Tremens there since they can just buy kegs from the beer store.
What?
umm talking about the beer hall, they can stock DT via Beer Store.

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brandd ... sp?id=2163