Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wvrst to open on King West in TO

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

aser wrote:
JesseMcG wrote:
aser wrote:Let's hope they know what they're doing, minimum we have to see Delirium Tremens there since they can just buy kegs from the beer store.
What?
umm talking about the beer hall, they can stock DT via Beer Store.

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brandd ... sp?id=2163
Is that really a 'beer-hall' kind of beer though? I mean, really...

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

aser wrote:
JesseMcG wrote:
aser wrote:Let's hope they know what they're doing, minimum we have to see Delirium Tremens there since they can just buy kegs from the beer store.
What?

Cool.. learn something new every day. Can anyone order it?

aser

Post by aser »

JesseM wrote:
aser wrote:
JesseMcG wrote: What?

Is that really a 'beer-hall' kind of beer though? I mean, really...
They're not really a beer hall if you read the review, it's like a mish mash of everything. They talked about Belgian being a key part of it and DT being one of the only easy to acquire Belgians in keg form....

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Ah, okay. Well in that case, DT all the way.

aser

Post by aser »

JesseMcG wrote:
aser wrote:
JesseMcG wrote: What?

Cool.. learn something new every day. Can anyone order it?
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/storesandproducts-kegs.html

pretty much, just have to pay to play.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

aser wrote: They're not really a beer hall if you read the review, it's like a mish mash of everything. They talked about Belgian being a key part of it and DT being one of the only easy to acquire Belgians in keg form....
I'll do my part. But I'm not wearing those damn kegs any more.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

aser wrote:
Belgian wrote: Even some sausage they sell at the Healthy Butcher, OK maybe the meat's good but those guys are still far from accomplished sausage-makers. I think doing it well takes a cultural familiarity.
Go to Segovia in Kensington Market for sausages, cultural level 10 there.
Will hit it today!!! 218 Augusta. Chorizo in various nationalities, chorizo stew.

-- edit --

Wow, what a store. Those are going on the gas tomorrow or the next day.Tonight I had that lamb sausage + I also grilled up a heavenly bison strip loin that must be where steaks go to die... honestly the BEST non-beef beef steak I have ever tasted, grabbed today from Fiesta Farms.

Lots of fine stuff at Kensington Market. Next stop: braised beef cheeks or the ultra-fresh fish.
In Beerum Veritas

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Wvrst is looking for your input! From a Facebook post yesterday:
I wish I could tell you all when the opening day will be but we've been delayed... FUN TIMES. Stay tuned to the website and the WVRST FB page.

I have a request. I have ONE open tap for our Draft line up, I ask you all to suggest something you would like to see on tap at WVRST... pick your poison and let me know, maybe you'll see it up at WVRST.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Opening day for Wvrst has been confirmed for Thursday May 26th.

The sausage and beer menu has also been posted to the website: http://www.wvrst.com/includes/wvrst_menu.pdf

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Churchkey peat-smoked scotch ale! :o Must try

The food looks interesting too. We may be making a fair number of visits there...
lister

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

lister wrote:Churchkey peat-smoked scotch ale! :o Must try

The food looks interesting too. We may be making a fair number of visits there...
You've never had CK's Holy Smoke?!? Duuuude.....

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

velovampire wrote: You've never had CK's Holy Smoke?!? Duuuude.....
Holy Smoke, yes. Peat-smoked Scotch ale, no.
lister

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

lister wrote:
velovampire wrote: You've never had CK's Holy Smoke?!? Duuuude.....
Holy Smoke, yes. Peat-smoked Scotch ale, no.
You have had it then. RB description: "Our Holy Smoke is a peat-smoked scotch ale. This 6.25% abv ale is dark and malty, and is enhanced with smoked whisky malt straight from Scotland."

Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Stopped in tonight on the way home from work. When you say "beer hall" it definitely is a beer hall. Great selection on beers on tap and in bottles.

I had a Galt Knife lager and a Netherworld. The staff were all friendly and the manager Joe made a point of coming over to introduce himself.

Looking forward to going back.
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step

jibblypop

Post by jibblypop »

I have been here twice so far. I really love the layout, friendly staff and beer selection! Awesome sausages of course and the fries are SO GOOD.

I will keep going back for sure. However I do have 2 problems with the place. First thing is that you have to pay right when you order. I feel like that puts a mental block in my mind that discourages me from staying longer and ordering more drinks after finishing my food. The second thing is that the pints are simply too expensive so I usually just have one beer and then move to another bar to continue drinking.

I love the place really but I just wish they would change those two things so that I would treat it more like a bar to hang out in instead of a place to grab a some quick food.