Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Oak Cask On At Twisted Kilt

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Black Oak Cask On At Twisted Kilt

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Everybody
I'm hopefully going to be doing some regular casks at the Twisted Kilt close to Yonge & Davisville.
I'll be working as the semi official cellar master and keeping the cask lines clean and ready to go.
John of the Twisted Kilt is trying to build up some cask business.
Casks from Muskoka, possibly Cameron's and a few other craft breweries may make appearances.
Its up to you to come out and support this effort.
Ideally the casks will be set up on Wednesday and be perfect Friday & Saturday...but if they don't sell then they won't taste good and a bar that's trying to promote cask beer and my efforts will be wasted.
Please come out and support some good cask beer.

cheers
ken

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

when does this start? I will be there since I work so close. Any Black Oak one offs going to be on cask?

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

I've put a cask of Home Grown Hop Bomb (Pale Ale based) on this Thursday.
If things pick up and casks start moving well then we MAY put on more one off casks...
ken

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

You mean I gotta walk all 500 meters over there and drink a beer?

Ken is so demanding.
saintjohnswort.ca

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Could we delete a few stickies so that this thread is on page one?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

midlife crisis wrote:Could we delete a few stickies so that this thread is on page one?
Please

Really interested in seeing what you put on Ken. I'll have to stop in at the Kilt far more often.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

There's two Burger Bar Spring IPA fest threads which I'm sure could be merged for example
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Ken, good to hear this, I'll stop by. I hope the beers pour clear since even many cask devotees like the beers that way.

Even though some may not say so, I believe there is an ingrained preference for a clear beer. In part at least, it's because (most) beer tastes better that way. Finings is the answer. Good luck with this plan.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Ken, good to hear this, I'll stop by. I hope the beers pour clear since even many cask devotees like the beers that way.y
Wow, different strokes for different folks but I hate clear cask beer. HATE.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Blankboy wrote:
G.M. Gillman wrote:Ken, good to hear this, I'll stop by. I hope the beers pour clear since even many cask devotees like the beers that way.y
Me too.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I passed by Twisted Kilt a few times in the last months and last night was the best. Using their three-beer sampler, I tried Muskoka's IPA on cask, Kronenbourg 1664 and Czechvar, and finished with a half of Black Oak Saison (cask).

Each was top-rate, the IPA poured clear and had a fine English-style bitterness, the Saison was light and flavourful with notes of orange and lemon but good hopping too. Ken sat with us for a bit to explain how the real ales are handled before service.

An excellent bar which is treating its beers with respect, I will be back soon. (The food was good too).

Gary
Gary Gillman

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Blankboy wrote:
Blankboy - AGREED with gusto.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Garthicus wrote:
Blankboy wrote:
Blankboy - AGREED with gusto.
HEATHENS :wink:

I just don't get why, when I was in Toronto, fellow drinkers accepted cloudy cask ale, and still do. It's just plain wrong and shows, IMHO bad cellarmanship and poor form serving an ale that way; like they can't be bothered serving it correctly. Fair enough if it's meant to be 'cloudy', but an IPA, Pale Ale, Bitter etc etc should all be bright and free of chunks and murk.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Torontoblue wrote:but an IPA, Pale Ale, Bitter etc etc should all be bright and free of chunks and murk.
Why?
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Blankboy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:but an IPA, Pale Ale, Bitter etc etc should all be bright and free of chunks and murk.
Why?
I just guess some of us have standards, and have been brought up in a way to only accept cask ale being served correctly.

Why should cask ale be served as a chunky, murky mess?