Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

There might be some galleries on Queen?

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

I will have to see what she is up for. I did just find out that amsterdam is right by the cupcake place she wants to go to. So maybe they can go for cupcakes while I go for a free tour and get some boneshaker.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes. Or even closer is the Corks wine bar in the Longos in that very plaza. It has 4-5 craft taps. Maybe she likes wood oven pizza? I think the Against the Grain in that plaza may now be open too.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Retail store still showing a healthy stock of the cognac-aged BIYD.

I understand this Impy's not bottle-conditioned, how many months (rather than years) would you guys keep this to mellow? On tap it was still tasting a litle bit tannic and hop-sharp although the good flavors were all there. I want the fruit and cocoa to come forward and some mellow cognac flavors.

They also have Farmhouse Classic Saison Bottle Conditioned w/Brett.
Another item of interest is they want to 'evolve' the Bellwoods Saison to incorporate the brett version and the slightly soured Saison version, for the greatest complexity. I'll support that! ;)
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

They also have Farmhouse Classic Saison Bottle Conditioned w/Brett.
I bought one of these too. It was quite nice, but could use a bit of aging I think if one wants a more pronounced brett character. At the moment it was just nicely in the background.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Just drinking my first of the new label beers from Bellwoods (a Wizard Wolf) and I don't see any freshness info on these new labels. Am I missing something or have they stopped printing freshness info?

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Just drinking my first of the new label beers from Bellwoods (a Wizard Wolf) and I don't see any freshness info on these new labels. Am I missing something or have they stopped printing freshness info?
I haven't seen those dating labels on any of the bottles with the new labels (save BOYD). Hope they aren't stopping that, and I would doubt it.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

liamt07 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Just drinking my first of the new label beers from Bellwoods (a Wizard Wolf) and I don't see any freshness info on these new labels. Am I missing something or have they stopped printing freshness info?
I haven't seen those dating labels on any of the bottles with the new labels (save BOYD). Hope they aren't stopping that, and I would doubt it.
I had their farmhouse saison with brett last night and there was a little while label on the back of the bottle with the date.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ercousin wrote: I had their farmhouse saison with brett last night and there was a little while label on the back of the bottle with the date.
That is their old "lebelling" system. They have started to use beer-specific labels on certain beers now (Witchshark, Roman Candle, Wizard Wolf & BOYD) and those don't see to have the freshness info on them like the bottle you have does...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ercousin wrote: I had their farmhouse saison with brett last night and there was a little while label on the back of the bottle with the date.
That is their old "lebelling" system. They have started to use beer-specific labels on certain beers now (Witchshark, Roman Candle, Wizard Wolf & BOYD) and those don't see to have the freshness info on them like the bottle you have does...

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

The bottles I got of Bring Out Your Dead still have a white label on the back with the bottle date. Not sure about other new-label beers though.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

The fact that the dates are present on BYOD has me hopeful that the lack of them on WW and Witchshark was temporary. A good litmus test would be the new bottles of Roman Candle that I gather just came out.
Ren

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The Roman Candle I have has a second sticker on the back with the date, but that's also the only identifying label on it. The one on the front is just a generic Bellwoods logo, no mention of the particular brew or anything. It's possible they might be going with that system for the stuff that isn't always available, to avoid needing custom labels for everything.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Roman Candle just recently got a new customized label- the bottle you have must predate that, however slightly.
Ren

munrets

Post by munrets »

Quick note: I popped in this afternoon and they had a ton of BOYD in the fridges. I picked up a few more - this stuff is super good. Also picked up a few more of the Galaxy Monogamys (easily one of the best things I've ever tasted that was made in Ontario) and two Roman Candles. This time they also had their saison with Brett available.