Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

matt7215 wrote: is that the regular saison or the imperial saison (blitzen)?

i didnt care for blitzen at all
Regular saison. Agreed about Blitzen.
Ren

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

jrenihan wrote:

Ren
how much for a bottle conditioned regular saison?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

matt7215 wrote:
jrenihan wrote:

Ren
how much for a bottle conditioned regular saison?
$8.50, should have check before i asked

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

More Hellwoods being bottled tonight for tomorrow.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Belgian wrote:
Droogy wrote:Hellwoods is supposed to be back into the retail store by 6pm today... according to a tweet my brother sent me.
It sold out in a day and a half, so move quick if you want this next time.

Nice having the bottle-conditioned Saison available though.
i got two of them when my brother went on sat.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Droogy wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Droogy wrote:Hellwoods is supposed to be back into the retail store by 6pm today... according to a tweet my brother sent me.
It sold out in a day and a half, so move quick if you want this next time...
Let's all line up early around the picnic tables tomorrow, sharing our rare beers and cool stories & after the store opens, we can go home and sell our allotment of Hellwoods on Ebay for 600 dollars!

Oh wait that's Dark Lord...
In Beerum Veritas

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Belgian wrote:
Droogy wrote:
Belgian wrote: It sold out in a day and a half, so move quick if you want this next time...
Let's all line up early around the picnic tables tomorrow, sharing our rare beers and cool stories & after the store opens, we can go home and sell our allotment of Hellwoods on Ebay for 600 dollars!

At some point jokes about waiting in line for rare beers and ebay sales have to stop making their way into virtually every thread on here

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Belgian wrote:Let's all line up early around the picnic tables tomorrow, sharing our rare beers and cool stories & after the store opens, we can go home and sell our allotment of Hellwoods on Ebay for 600 dollars!

actually, it's not. DLD is a gutted shadow of what it used to be, but all the people who were hanging out sharing rare beer and stories were exactly the ones who did NOT sell their allotments on ebay. they were there for the fun and the the joy of sharing all that great beer and DL was honestly an afterthought. the chumps who stood in line just to get the beer and left are the ones who were going to ebay.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

PeenSteen wrote:At some point jokes about waiting in line for rare beers and ebay sales have to stop making their way into virtually every thread on here
It was you that just called it a joke.

Hellwoods was for sale last night, for any still interested.
In Beerum Veritas

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Belgian wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:At some point jokes about waiting in line for rare beers and ebay sales have to stop making their way into virtually every thread on here
It was you that just called it a joke.
It's more ridiculous if you were being serious

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I quite enjoyed the Blitzen. I've enjoyed all of the (6 or so) Bellwoods brews I've had, and picked up 3x Hellwoods the other day along with some Belgian IPA and Witchshark.

Any suggestions on which of their brews are 'different'? I seem to be stuck thinking 'yep, that is a really good X style beer' for all of their brews, without them being unique in any way.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

On my second Grizzly Beer right now and it really benefits from sitting out of the fridge for about 30 minutes.

The roast really comes together nicely - almost tempted to actually age it to dull the hops a little so it's more "Englishy". Or if I ask them nicely maybe they'll get around to doing an English brown.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Haven't tried the Grizzly Beer yet, will definitely let the bottle warm up a bit Jeff.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

In bottle-conditioned 750mls, Bellwoods have now got Barrel Aged Farmhouse Saison (Belgian Saison, 6.5% ABV) ($12 tax in).

That's + $3.50 of barrel-aged oaky goodness! Not sure I've had a BA Saison before.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:In bottle-conditioned 750mls, Bellwoods have now got Barrel Aged Farmhouse Saison (Belgian Saison, 6.5% ABV) ($12 tax in).

That's + $3.50 of barrel-aged oaky goodness! Not sure I've had a BA Saison before.
Yikes! me neither - I'm guessing wine barrels? I'd certainly pick up a bottle, but may not make it in time.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John