Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

it's brewed with an American Hefeweizen yeast, which I suppose at one time was from Germany, but has been selected for subtle characteristics not found in Bavarian hefe yeast.
Interesting. A server was 'describing' Hoppy Hefeweizen as having classic Hefe banana fruit aromas and taste, which doesn't do it justice.
In Beerum Veritas

hangunder

Post by hangunder »

nickw wrote:Fair enough, but I've talked to them about why they changed, understand it, and respect their decisions.
Looks like the bottles they have started to export to NY have freshness info on them even though they have the new labels

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Did everyone go in and get their bottle of motley cru?

As an aside, where should we post about beer releases that aren't going to TBS or the lcbo? Random talk? Seems lie there should be a thread for that.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

squeaky wrote:Did everyone go in and get their bottle of motley cru?

As an aside, where should we post about beer releases that aren't going to TBS or the lcbo? Random talk? Seems lie there should be a thread for that.
Went by earlier to see if they'd sell any no luck. Wasn't in the mood to fight two plus hours of traffic home. Might go by tomorrow for a bottle or two if not sold out.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

squeaky wrote:Did everyone go in and get their bottle of motley cru?
There was a small, civil lineup around 4:15. They started selling at 4:30 and were pretty good about making sure everyone in line was actually in line for the cru, not just for either of the two other beers they were selling and thus didn't need to wait.

From my estimation, I'd say there were about 10 people in front of me and maybe 20 more behind. At most, at opening only around 100 bottles could have gone out. Don't know how it will fair for the rest of tonight and into tomorrow, but I remember the "Bring out Your Dead" being around for a few days. I mean, it is a $20 bottle and there are 599 of them.

As an aside, it was kinda odd that they started selling a special release beer to a line of people at 4:30 when the brewery didn't open until 5! They were good about accommodating people (well, me and a friend who I ran into in line) by opening as soon as they had set up for the evening (like, 4:45?), but you'd figure if you have a bunch of people standing in a warm line to buy beer, they might like a cold beer once they were done! I sure did!

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

They should have started selling it when the retail opened at 11am or 12pm.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I went around 5pm, and there were two people besides me. I think the $20 price might be scaring people off as neither of those people bought any!
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Scared me off. Will be interested to hear what you guys think if you crack one.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I got there at about 4:30 and there was a bit of a lineup. Took about 10 minutes of sweating and trying to appear "hip," despite my shame.

I bought the maximum of three. Didn't want to miss BYOD like last time (although I managed to trade for two bottles on the aftermarket)! One to drink, one to trade, one to cellar. If I crack it tonight, I'll let you know how it was.

EDIT: Yeah, it's good stuff. Nice balance of tartness and the dark, treacly flavours of a quad. And none of the "headachy" yeast profile that I sometimes get from Belgian ales. The body is incredibly smooth, damn near creamy. My only complaint: a small note of diacetyl. Still, pretty proud of my hometown right now!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

only 7 people ahead of us at 530 pm -moved along- with 599 bottles -they were strict on the 3 bottle limit.

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

We showed up around 6:30 or so and there was no line. Lots if people in for beers and food but I didn't notice anyone with bottles other than us.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

mixedup wrote:We showed up around 6:30 or so and there was no line. Lots if people in for beers and food but I didn't notice anyone with bottles other than us.
I had the same experience at around 6:15. Perhaps, like BOYD, the bottles will last a little longer than expected, with an initial rush and then a marked slow down.
Very excited to try it!
Ren

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I got there before 400, found out they were starting at 4:30 so I went to Poutini's. Probably 30ish people in line when we came back. We bought three between the two of us, might have bought more at $15. Had some Roman Candle on the patio and headed home to the air conditioning!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I was out of town all week, but managed to grab a couple of bottles last Friday...think it was just about sold out then. They took it off the "available" board but their website said a bit was available for out of towners, etc.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Little ARTICLE on Roman Candle in Post City.

I'm more of a Monogamous IPA drinker but this stuff is worth the trip!
In Beerum Veritas