Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
liamt07 wrote:Need to get here ASAP. Everything looks delicious
+1 to that. And looks like they have growler fills too, which is great for those of us who don't live in the city.
Don't know if growlers are in effect immediately or until their retail store is open. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
liamt07 wrote:Need to get here ASAP. Everything looks delicious
+1 to that. And looks like they have growler fills too, which is great for those of us who don't live in the city.
Don't know if growlers are in effect immediately or until their retail store is open. Hopefully sooner rather than later!
I didn't realize that the retail store was opening up later than the brewpub. Hopefully it is sooner rather than later... looks like they have some nice branded tulip glasses too. Hopefully they will be selling those.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:+1 to that. And looks like they have growler fills too, which is great for those of us who don't live in the city.
I didn't realize that the retail store was opening up later than the brewpub. Hopefully it is sooner rather than later... looks like they have some nice branded tulip glasses too. Hopefully they will be selling those.
I recall reading somewhere that they're aiming for a June opening of the retail store, I'm curious as to what they'll be putting in there outside of beer.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

I had a couple glasses of the saison at Grand Electric on Thursday, and also thought it was quite good. Pretty promising brewery! Very excited to visit and try some more of their offerings.
Ren

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote: I recall reading somewhere that they're aiming for a June opening of the retail store, I'm curious as to what they'll be putting in there outside of beer.
Thanks for the info Liam. I guess I will have to wait a little while longer for growler fills. I should be able to stop in for a pint towards the end of April. Looking forward to it :D

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Yes, the retail store is still a couple of months away. While they've been in the space where the brewery and bar are since last year sometime, they didn't sign the lease on next door - where the retail store will be, along with cold storage for kegs and the kitchen, and perhaps some more fermentation tanks - until February.

Once it's open, they'll be selling growlers and bottles, as well as other merchandise. I wouldn't be surprised to see glassware, shirts, etc. - their logo & branding is perfect for that sort of stuff.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I swung by last weekend and again on opening night (Thurs) and it's an awesome place. Will be one of the top beer hotspots in Toronto in short order IMO.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Speaking of growlers: does anyone know if they will employ the same system as Mill Street with pre-filled growlers (is that Ontario law?) or will we get fresh filled growlers straight from the tap?

I have always wondered if Mill Street does it the way they do it because it is easier or if some strange Ontario liquor law forces them to.... ?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Speaking of growlers: does anyone know if they will employ the same system as Mill Street with pre-filled growlers (is that Ontario law?) or will we get fresh filled growlers straight from the tap?

I have always wondered if Mill Street does it the way they do it because it is easier or if some strange Ontario liquor law forces them to.... ?
my understanding is that's the law (with all tied houses) in the province, though I could be wrong...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

The gentleman at Duggan's filled a growler for me without any qualms. It was a long process so I'd guess they pre-fill them to save time.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

TwoPint wrote:The gentleman at Duggan's filled a growler for me without any qualms. It was a long process so I'd guess they pre-fill them to save time.
At the bar, or at the "retail store"? They did have a separate entrance for off-site sales.

Its a moot point in this case but as an aside, posting publicly on Bartowel "Brewery X totally lets me do this thing that may more may not be legal" is a good way to get people in trouble, or at a minimum making those things not happen any more.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JerCraigs wrote:
TwoPint wrote:The gentleman at Duggan's filled a growler for me without any qualms. It was a long process so I'd guess they pre-fill them to save time.
At the bar, or at the "retail store"? They did have a separate entrance for off-site sales.
Unlike the Granite and Mill Street, Duggan's had a bar with draught taps in their off-sales room, so that probably explains how they were able to fill growlers at time of sale rather than have them all pre-filled and in the fridge.

Six Pints will be doing something similar. There will be pre-fills in a fridge, but they'll also do fills using this fancy unit that gives a close to air-tight seal, so the beer should last a bit longer before being opened.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

JerCraigs wrote:
Its a moot point in this case but as an aside, posting publicly on Bartowel "Brewery X totally lets me do this thing that may more may not be legal" is a good way to get people in trouble, or at a minimum making those things not happen any more.
Understood but I thought it was OK because Duggan's is long gone and I didn't mention the gentleman by name.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I wasn't picking on you specifically TwoPints, but it happens here semi-regularly.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

GregClow wrote:Yes, the retail store is still a couple of months away. While they've been in the space where the brewery and bar are since last year sometime, they didn't sign the lease on next door - where the retail store will be, along with cold storage for kegs and the kitchen, and perhaps some more fermentation tanks - until February.

Once it's open, they'll be selling growlers and bottles, as well as other merchandise. I wouldn't be surprised to see glassware, shirts, etc. - their logo & branding is perfect for that sort of stuff.
any idea what their hrs are like?