Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Anyone heard of Grattan's Brewery?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I usually don't put too much faith in the accuracy of the brewery & brewpub listings in the Great Lakes Brewing News, but I was looking through a recent issue and found an interesting entry: Grattan's Brewery, a supposed brewpub located at 48 Mac Avenue in Scarborough. Has anyone heard of this place?

Its phone number listed begins with 699, which I believe is the Beach area.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cass on 2001-08-26 20:57 ]</font>

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

After one of my beer trips, I still had my rental car and some time to kill so I went out there to check it out. Nothing. Nada, zip zilch. It may have been some kind of homebrew store or something but even that didn't look like it was in business anymore. No brewpub, not even a BOP, pub or other establishment. I don't know where that listing came from, but it certainly was not verified, because that glorified toolshed was never a brewery of any description.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Sorry you trekked out there for nothing Josh. I'll shoot something off to those guys letting them know...

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

It certainly wasn't the first time I've gone on a trek for nothing.

BTW, they also list as a brewpub James Gate. I went there, too. They had some kind of house ale on tap, but I personally didn't see any signs of an actual brewery there. Since the ale was mediocre at best, that's one to investigate only if you're walking past.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yeah, I've been to the James Gate before, under the impression that it "might" be a brewpub. It's a decent neighbourhood pub, but a brewpub it certainly isn't. Its house beer most likely is another brand with a custom tap handle, sort of like what the Madison used to do.

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Mack Ave. in Scarbrough? Mack is a very short street, so the paper must be referrring to an odd, little BOP that used to stand on the corner of Mack and Danforth Road, just east of Warden. The building was small, squat and kind of industrial looking.

Rule of thumb -- there is virtually no good beer in Scarborough, although there are some good pubs. Once you get to Feathers, get off the streetcar, have a drink and then go back the other way.

Bimbo the Birthday Clown is thirsty.

-Uncle Bobby