Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo's inconsistent service

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

If you want a DDC tap takeover where you can easily get all the beers you want, I know of a place where it happens every single night.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Cass wrote:If you want a DDC tap takeover where you can easily get all the beers you want, I know of a place where it happens every single night.
And you'll get held up at gunpoint for no extra charge. What excitement! :lol: Too soon?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blankboy wrote:Not directed at anyone in particular but complaining about service at an event like the DdC event is pointless, they do their best with the staff they have and the room they have...
No kidding, DDC is insanely popular. And there might not even be DDC in Ontario if Ralph and the guys at Volo did not bring it here (thanks lads.)
In Beerum Veritas

aser

Post by aser »

JerCraigs wrote:- Re: Samples. I received at least one pour of the sour beers in a “taster” sized glass. That’s just what they poured it in. Are you sure that’s not what was going on for other people rather than some special “privileged” taster?

- Re: portion sizes. Most beer events I’ve been to have wildly fluctuating pours depending on the bartender, the beer, the vendor, etc. Combine that with changing the type of glasswear used and you get variance. At the DDC event I got an overly generous pour of the beer I liked least that night, and a smaller pour of my favorite beer than the guy behind me got (in a different glass). It could easily have been reversed. I suppose they could invest in more glassware, or tell people to wait until they have the right sized glasses…. But I doubt that would have been better.

- Re: Special Treatment. I think a lot of the things aser is attributing to special treatment are just as easily attributed to the more pedestrian explanations above.

If they are not then there are probably good reasons for that, whether we agree with them or not. Jon Walker noted a few possibilities, and it has been discussed above. Who knows what other reasons they have. Would you prefer it if they had the media/industry/VIP tastings in advance as they have in the past? Then the media types like that GregClow f***er get in early and drink all the beer? ( :lol: ) Is that better or worse?

We are talking about an event that had a line out the door from 7PM to 9PM when I left. The staff were busting their butts and doing their best by most peoples estimates. If that’s not good enough, then don’t go.
So again, to eliminate a bunch of assumptions....

I got there close to midnight, by then the rush had died down so it wasn't much different than any normal night. Lineup was 2-3 deep at max, and by my second round, there was no lineup.

I ordered a 5oz sour wheat cherry too so I def know the difference in size between a 5 oz pour and a 1oz taster. I didn't feel entitled to a taster, I just didn't appreciate them lying to my gf about the policy then turning around and giving tasters out right after. She was actually more upset about it than me, but I'm the nerd that posts on here.

I had specifically waited till later to go to avoid the zoo. I didn't mind risking certain things selling out. If it was meant to be......

Yes, again the scenarios suggested could have been right, but how does that discredit any of my experiences? As unimaginable as it is to some of you, what I said could've actually happened too. To be honest, at a certain point it seems folks here are just making excuses up for them. They can do no wrong, I can't comment on a negative experience.

I don't think I embellished anything, I'm not angry at them, just a bit annoyed that night. They're good people, providing us beer nerds a venue for products previously unavailable in our market. That's all great, but they're not perfect and I merely pointed out one experience. I've already let it go, not a big deal. I'll check them out again in a few weeks.

Again, it seems I have to either diss the fuck out of them or be 100% in love. There is no in-between.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Busy or not IMHO it's a restaurant's right to give preference to customers as they see fit without hiding it in order to cater to the egos of infrequent patrons. I don't think that anyone here needs the repeated clarification of your experience. It clearly pissed you and your girlfriend off enough that you thought it warranted creating a thread about it here...got it. But if you've let it go why keep posting about it? I think the general backlash your receiving has less to do with rushing to the defense of Volo and more to do with the fact that it sounds a little petty and half hearted.

It remains your right to address your concerns to management next time you are there, to not return, or to (as you said) let it go.
Last edited by Jon Walker on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

aser

Post by aser »

I think my repeated posting is more to do w/ people like you calling me "petty". Not sure why you have to keep getting personal about it.

I don't know about you, but I don't think it would rub you the right way if someone started calling you names on here.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I have a pretty thick skin...ask around. :wink:
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

aser

Post by aser »

ok then stop being a moral authority here and such a dickhead.

I have nothing to comment on volo anymore, I'll keep going as I've stated.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I still fail to see the validity of the complaint.

Loyal customers/VIPs get special treatment wherever you go. It is as blatant as can be, there is very little effort made to hide such "perks." Unless you are getting purposely crappy service, I don't see the problem.

Sure, we all get jealous from time to time when someone else gets something that we didn't, but be a big boy and get over it. Life aint fair.

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

Sometimes service sucks, and sometimes you want to post about it on a message board. I don't see the big deal either way. Of course there's always going to be people that don't agree with you and make presumptions and judgements. That's the risk you take posting on the internet. It's too bad the guy can't just stop frequenting the place without missing out on one of the few good sources of craft beer in the biggest city in Canada. Maybe that's why the poster is getting such negative feedback, ordinarily complaining about the service you got wouldn't be such a big deal, of course people would say it happens yadda yadda but they might not be condescending if they didn't feel the need to defend one of their scarce lifelines to craft beer culture.

fishnerd

Post by fishnerd »

Samples are a touchy aspect in many pubs about town -- some of the locals have ... hmmm ... abused the goodwill of many bartenders by ordering up samples, scribbling notes, and splitting. No tip. No thank yous. No real order.

And, at the end of the day, samples are discretionary. Perhaps the bartender could have offered up an explanation that didn't border on fibbing ... but would you really have preferred the reply of, "OK, look, I'm getting slammed. I don't know you, I don't know if you're going to tip me, I don't know if you're like _____ and you're just here to drink samples, take notes, and split. Yeah, we are offering up samples, but only to people we know and have built up a certain amount of goodwill with us."

Honestly? If you felt really cheesed, you should've just gone up to Ralph or one of his kids. He's approachable, genial, and tries to do right by his customers.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

In general I think it's worth building a 'relationship' with people working in bars - even if it's your first/only/semi-annual visit.

Samples, in the first place are not an entitlement, they are sort of an unexpected favor. I arrive at a bar full of goodwill and chat up the staff - even a bit garrulously - and ask them what's new beer-wise etc. It's a little self-serving but I also genuinely like people and it's fun to break them out of their monotony, not just treat them as 'servers' but as people (that's just what I like to do.) A little respect brings a lot of beer love!

And yes, we've all had bad-service days at various bars - stuff happens - so I try not to take it personally, and if I do decide to walk out I just make that my issue and try to go back another day. Why be sour.
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Wray77 wrote: Maybe that's why the poster is getting such negative feedback, ordinarily complaining about the service you got wouldn't be such a big deal, of course people would say it happens yadda yadda but they might not be condescending if they didn't feel the need to defend one of their scarce lifelines to craft beer culture.
+1

You don't (generally) see this kind of hostility when someone complains about the service at a Chinese restaurant on Chowhound.

aser

Post by aser »

fishnerd wrote:Samples are a touchy aspect in many pubs about town -- some of the locals have ... hmmm ... abused the goodwill of many bartenders by ordering up samples, scribbling notes, and splitting. No tip. No thank yous. No real order.

And, at the end of the day, samples are discretionary. Perhaps the bartender could have offered up an explanation that didn't border on fibbing ... but would you really have preferred the reply of, "OK, look, I'm getting slammed. I don't know you, I don't know if you're going to tip me, I don't know if you're like _____ and you're just here to drink samples, take notes, and split. Yeah, we are offering up samples, but only to people we know and have built up a certain amount of goodwill with us."

Honestly? If you felt really cheesed, you should've just gone up to Ralph or one of his kids. He's approachable, genial, and tries to do right by his customers.
Good points, yes I'm asking for them to be discrete but applying that isn't a perfect science. It is a hard balance to strike.

My gf did buy 2 beers and tip before asking for a sample to avoid the freeloading imagery. I'm sure people do abuse the generosity of others and thus ruining it for folks w/ decency.

Anyways, thanks for the objective responses, it's appreciated.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

There is only one pub in the entire world where I feel comfortable asking for a sample, and I ask maybe once a year. I certainly don't expect them.