Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo's inconsistent service

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Man I'd hate to live in this "samples are taboo" world you people live in. They're pretty normal and accepted where I go..

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Build a bridge and get the fuck over it.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

Garthicus wrote:Build a bridge and get the fuck over it.
Perhaps you should have taken your own advice?

Streets

Post by Streets »

I haven't visited many places in Toronto, but the Judge will normally offer samples to anyone who's hesitant about making a decision. Maybe Hamilton bars just don't get as many sample and split patrons as the T.O. places do :). With me they know if I don't care for the sample I'll definitely still be ordering something else.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Cale wrote:Man I'd hate to live in this "samples are taboo" world you people live in. They're pretty normal and accepted where I go..
Not saying they are taboo, just don't act like they are a god given right.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wray77 wrote:
It's OK guys. I think we've almost reached a place of closure, where the healing of deep emotional scars can begin.
Tell yourself "My heart will go on!"
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote: Tell yourself "My heart will go on!"
My heart will go on, my liver is starting to falter! :wink:

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

aser wrote:ok then stop being a moral authority here and such a dickhead.
This is a quality post!
I"ll be sure to listen to and value your opinion in the future!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Belgian wrote:
Wray77 wrote:
It's OK guys. I think we've almost reached a place of closure, where the healing of deep emotional scars can begin.
Tell yourself "My heart will go on!"
Haha, Bruce looks so funny with long hair. Although I'm sure to the people who became fans in the 80's he looks funny with short hair.

aser

Post by aser »

Weebay wrote:
aser wrote:ok then stop being a moral authority here and such a dickhead.
This is a quality post!
I"ll be sure to listen to and value your opinion in the future!
Thanks for your valuable contribution. The feeling is mutual.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

I'm late to this dance, but kind of wanted to give my 2 cents.

I'm not making excuses on behalf of Volo. as a regular customer, i'm giving my opinion.

THey're in the service industry and they've clearly had a fair amount of staff turnover. i've never had awful service there. its a small bar. if i really want a beer, a flag the server over or I go up to the bar.

DDC takeover night: it was chaotic. they were running out of glasses, there were long line-ups. i didn't notice anyone getting samples, but i was told that the sours were being served in smaller glasses. they were unique one-off beer and that was fine with me.

Patronage: I've witnessed sampling at all sorts of bars. some of The Only's bartenders will pretty much sample you if you ask about beer on tap. I was there this weekend and the bartender couldn't give a shit about explaining her taps and just wanted to make her tip money by pouring draft. on most nights, i wouldn't consider a bartender handing out samples to equal patronage per se. and if my memory's correct, i saw few samples going out on DDC night. i think they were for staff to try, not for customers. Tom's pretty nice and friendly to me and I can assure you that i didn't get any free love :)

for those of you who complain about Volo: I was thinking about Toronto bars last night. I was in the 'hood, so I walked into Smokeless Joe's, which seems to go out of its way to not try to attract customers (no website, zero response via twitter, no tap list posted anywhere). other than Delirium on tap, their tap and bottle list was the same and most Toronto bars. they sell what you buy off the shelf at the LCBO, but at 100% (or more) markup. they'll soon get in private orders, they told me. wondering if these are the same private orders I'm getting from Esprit?

basically, there's little to no reason for me to go to 99% of Toronto bars. they're not doing anything interesting. the only one that pushes the envelope with draught and bottle selection is Volo. the only other bars that come close would be Rhino, Bier Market and Beer Bistro, but their draught list isn't close at all. so if you, for whatever reason, decide to not head to Volo, then its fine with me. more room for me to drink and less beer options for you.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

atomeyes wrote:basically, there's little to no reason for me to go to 99% of Toronto bars. they're not doing anything interesting. the only one that pushes the envelope with draught and bottle selection is Volo. the only other bars that come close would be Rhino, Bier Market and Beer Bistro, but their draught list isn't close at all. so if you, for whatever reason, decide to not head to Volo, then its fine with me. more room for me to drink and less beer options for you.
I guess you've never heard of C'est What?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Malcolm wrote:
atomeyes wrote:basically, there's little to no reason for me to go to 99% of Toronto bars. they're not doing anything interesting. the only one that pushes the envelope with draught and bottle selection is Volo. the only other bars that come close would be Rhino, Bier Market and Beer Bistro, but their draught list isn't close at all. so if you, for whatever reason, decide to not head to Volo, then its fine with me. more room for me to drink and less beer options for you.
Granted the beer selection is good, but it's been noted before that service is very hit and miss in here.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Malcolm wrote:
Other thank TO beer week and the occasianl event, c'est what doesn't really do much...especially when copared to Volo.

Yeah yeah, they get some nice ontario rotating taps in, but their service sucks at times and i only wold go there if i wanted a variety of Unibrou on tap.

Personal opinion, natc, but they are better than the run of the mill bar, but there is usually zero reason for me to make a night out of going there.