Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand Electric - Queen and Dufferin

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It's now Corne, Beau's Lugtread and the Church Key West Coast Pale Ale. Yes, still 3 taps.

aser

Post by aser »

Corne is far far superior on tap than compared to bottle form.

Yes the beer pricing is expensive, but the food is very on point. One of the best places for a snack in Toronto, they're legit.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Malcolm wrote:
Philip1 wrote:Poor waitress, having to put up with customers like that.
Whatever. Unless I'm mistaken, you weren't sitting at our table and therefore have no context of the situation. So I'll tell you. It was a lighthearted exchange that didn't affect her excellent service and attitude toward us for the rest of the night.
She certainly wasn't offended by my preference for 20 ounces.
well, in Philip's defense, your posted exchange did make it sound like you were crying about it. but yeah, the beer isn't cheap. but its such a small space that i'm not overly shocked. you figure that table turnover's pretty darn slow.

and the DDC on tap: the Peche that I had at Grand had a nice sour hint at the end. never experienced that from the bottled Peche I've had.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i took my wife there last night.

food was excellent. Pozole = ridiculous.
wife said the fish tacos were as good as La Carnita.

beer: no more Peche, still have Corne du Diable. But, considering that someone from DDC was there last weekend and got smashed and loved the bar, I am thinking that you'll somehow see a readily available supply of DDC beer in the near future.

right now, their tap list is ok (or "typical Toronto ok", as i call it). think they have a Beau's and they have a Church Key pale ale on tap.

they are getting a cask installed soonish.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

The two guys behind it came from the Black Hoof -- one ran the kitchen (Colin) and one ran the front of house (Ian). Between the Hoof and opening Grand Electric, Colin worked at Big Star in Chicago.

My wife and I have been a couple of times and absolutely love it...and so do a couple of our friends who cook at other restaurants in the city. Their bourbon selection is fantastic, including several non-LCBO bottles, and the food is great...and all reasonably priced.

We haven't had beer there yet, but they had Péché Mortel, Corne Du Diable, and Beau's Lug Tread when we were there.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Montreal DDC guy liked it and the food's amazing??

Will have to check it out before it vanishes. I'm digging Queen West W these days.
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We delivered a large order of Belgians to Rhino last week so may of the out of stock items should be available now.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

esprit wrote:We delivered a large order of Belgians to Rhino last week so may of the out of stock items should be available now.
How is my rather large order coming?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

esprit wrote:We delivered a large order of Belgians to Rhino last week so may of the out of stock items should be available now.
which ones?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

atomeyes wrote:
which ones?
I would also like to know which ones: do they start with Roch and end with forte 10? Or have the name "Dupont" anywhere in the names?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JeffPorter wrote:I would also like to know which ones: do they start with Roch and end with forte 10? Or have the name "Dupont" anywhere in the names?
Esprit doesn't represent Dupont in Ontario - Roland+Russell does.

Stevetut

Post by Stevetut »

Malcolm wrote:
Whatever. Unless I'm mistaken, you weren't sitting at our table and therefore have no context of the situation. So I'll tell you. It was a lighthearted exchange that didn't affect her excellent service and attitude toward us for the rest of the night.

What? An actual Canadian from Toronto who prefers/expects a 20oz. imperial pint of beer in a country where that is the official measure?

I got nailed here awhile back when I complained about 16oz. glasses at the old Duggan's. I was being too picky and Mike was a great guy and I shouldn't stir up trouble for a great new beer venue, etc.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Stevetut wrote:
What? An actual Canadian from Toronto who prefers/expects a 20oz. imperial pint of beer in a country where that is the official measure?

I got nailed here awhile back when I complained about 16oz. glasses at the old Duggan's. I was being too picky and Mike was a great guy and I shouldn't stir up trouble for a great new beer venue, etc.
Yup - imagine that eh? Some people are too reticent to speak up about it but I'm sure they bitch about it to others.

It's our official measurement so if you're not using it, explain why. In intelligent terms.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

LOL also the so-called 16oz pint was often under-filled, around 14 oz. Actually closer to a 12oz serving than 20. Tragic really.

I miss dropping by Duggans for a third pint in the afternoon. Nice people.
In Beerum Veritas

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Malcolm wrote:
Fair enough but your original comment made you sound surly towards someone who probably had nothing to do with the size of the "pints".