Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand Electric - Queen and Dufferin

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

At Duggans, I found whats inside the glasses more problematic then the size of the glasses.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Does GE still only accept cash or debit? No credit cards?

When we went nearly a month ago when I tried paying with a CC I was told they don't have that yet and it would be a few weeks. No sign out front, no mention on the web site, very irritating. I have my doubts what was said will come true.
lister

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

We went back tonight for what's becoming a weekly trip. They had DDC Corne Du Diable, Beau's Lug Tread, and a Church Key on tap...but they've really upped their bottle selection, including LTM Porter Baltique, Rogue Dead Guy, Péché Mortel, Miami Weiss, Boneshaker IPA, Red Racer IPA, and Garrison Imperial IPA alongside 50 and Tecate.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

just wait until they do casks.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Went last night with the wife. Awesome spot. Loved the vibe. We sat at the bar and the guys behind the bar were great. The food is fantastic and reasonably priced. The music was great. The beer selection is topnotch. I had a couple of Corne Du Diable on tap, before finishing with a bottle of Beau's Hogan's Goat.

My only real complaint is that the beer is a little pricey, a fact which hit home even harder when I crossed the street and had a couple of pints at The Rhino.

GA still only takes cash or debit. No credit cards.
Last edited by TJ on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

The beer is a little more than it should be, but the food is so reasonably priced and most of their whiskey (if you're drinking any) is a little lower than it should be so it all works itself out in the end.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

TJ wrote:My only real complaint is that the beer is super pricey, a fact which hit home even harder when I crossed the street and had a couple of pints at The Rhino.

GA still only takes cash or debit. No credit cards.
We may go again in the summer, it depends on the girlfriend. I'm indifferent on the food. It's pretty good and all but I'm just indifferent on Mexican food in general. I may mention my dislike of the size and price of the beer there and not order any.

Thanks for the CC update. Probably a policy and not "we're waiting for it..." Annoys me when that sort of thing isn't posted on the website and the restaurant window.
lister

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

went down on Tues. I couldn't find it...I didn't have the address and just assumed I'd find it across from the Rhino. I know what building it's in now, so maybe next week!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Re: credit cards...the two guys behind Grand Electric both came from the Black Hoof and I believe the Hoof was always cash only.

We're off to GE again tonight. Love it.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Gavin wrote:Re: credit cards...the two guys behind Grand Electric both came from the Black Hoof and I believe the Hoof was always cash only.
Yeah I know, that's why I was skeptical of the waitresses statement about possibly being able to use them down the road. I do know that some restaurants don't always have the credit terminals up and going at opening so there was a slight chance she wasn't blowing smoke up my ass but I don't it.

As long as they have people packing the place they don't need to worry.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:went down on Tues. I couldn't find it...I didn't have the address and just assumed I'd find it across from the Rhino. I know what building it's in now, so maybe next week!
You can't beat google map and Street View for the geographically challenged. I even google directions if I'm traveling someplace I don't know.
In Beerum Veritas

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

We got there at 11:15 and had to wait for a table...only 10 minutes though, not the usual hour+, but still.

They had Canucklehead on cask.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Still haven't been there, but for those who have, could someone post a description of the food? What they have...what was good, price point, etc...the beef cheek tacos sound good, but what do you guys recommend for the food?

Can't wait to go there...I want to head there this weekend!

Thanks...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

http://iflookscouldfill.wordpress.com/2 ... -electric/

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/819569

I believe we ordered everything except the chicken taco due to it being really spicy. In the past three years I've developed digestive issues with spicy foods sadly. :cry: I really liked the pork tacos. Everything else was good.

Just be prepared for a lineup. We got out to Parkdale early because I wanted to visit another store. With still time to kill we had a pint at Rhino where I think I had the worst pint of Grand River Jubilation Ale ever. It was kind of dull and lacked the "brightness" of previous years. Given that I've never had a bad pint of anything from Grand River before and the frequent comments about not cleaning the beer lines often I chalked it up to that. Oh, the lineup, we went there just ahead of 6pm (opening) and there was one couple waiting already. Another showed up after we arrived. Once in we didn't really notice a lineup until 7pm. YMMV.
lister

Beer-B-Q

Post by Beer-B-Q »

JeffPorter wrote:Still haven't been there, but for those who have, could someone post a description of the food? What they have...what was good, price point, etc...the beef cheek tacos sound good, but what do you guys recommend for the food?
http://www.thestar.com/article/1117045- ... xican-food

Quite the glowing review from the Toronto Star.