Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand Electric - Queen and Dufferin

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Grand Electric - Queen and Dufferin

Post by atomeyes »

I was there on Friday night (3 days after the opening). Pretty decent beer selection with their two draught beer being Dieu du Ciel offerings (!!!).

Its a fun place to get good beer and very good Mexican food. I did a review with pictures (if interested) over here.

Here's their beer list:

Its another nice option on the west side. I wouldn't be surprised to see one-offs making tap appearances in the near future.[/img]
Last edited by atomeyes on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the info. I read about it in the Star and looked like one of the guys behind it was getting some inspiration from Big Star in Chicago (honky-tonk taco & booze joint). If it can be anything like Big Star then this place is a great addition to the city!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Will check this place out for sure....this is my 'hood so nice to have an alternative to The Rhino.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Looking forward to giving this place a shot, thanks for the info.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

El Pinguino wrote:Will check this place out for sure....this is my 'hood so nice to have an alternative to The Rhino.
2 hour wait on Friday night.
Walked by on Saturday and there was room at 9, but they got slammed right at 6 (opening).

and the Rhino....uggg....we went there Saturday. never again.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Wow, good to know atomeyes. Sounds like a successful launch...

Ha, The Rhino is one of my main 'compromise' bars. all of my non-beer friends really enjoy it there and I can usually spend a few hours answering the 'what are you drinking?' questions when I order something out of the norm.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Will check it out.

Did they fly to Montreal themselves to get the DDC?
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

El Pinguino wrote:Wow, good to know atomeyes. Sounds like a successful launch...

Ha, The Rhino is one of my main 'compromise' bars. all of my non-beer friends really enjoy it there and I can usually spend a few hours answering the 'what are you drinking?' questions when I order something out of the norm.
The Rhino could be an amazing bar. this is probably best put in another topic, but their plentiful beer menu that usually has zero stock available is mind boggling. print a new bloody menu! and the room feels like a large, cheap motel bar when you compare it to other bars on the west Queen West strip.

the beer selection at Grand Electric is stripped down and i wish it would be kicked up a wee bit, but the vibe (and the food) make it really attractive to go to.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:The Rhino could be an amazing bar. this is probably best put in another topic, but their plentiful beer menu that usually has zero stock available is mind boggling. print a new bloody menu!
I know. And they have to journey to the very depths of hell to check every request. Usually the 'new arrivals' printed with the draught beer list is more useful than the beat-to-crap old laminated beer list they pretend is a menu.

But it's more than a bar, it's a Rhino Adventure. Try the burger!
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

At the risk of threadjacking - this seems like the best place to mention that Rhino launched brand new food menus a week or so ago.

They've got a new chef who has travelled a fair bit through Europe and Asia, and he's taken inspiration from the street food he tried in a lot of the places he's visited. A few old favourites are still there as well - burger, wings, nachos, mussels - although most have been tweaked a bit.

Even with the changes, though, the prices are still ridiculously cheap - nothing on the dinner menu over 16 bucks.

Here's a bit more info: http://www.toronto.com/blog/post/705642 ... -the-world

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We'll probably go this Saturday. The girlfriend will like the food. Not sure about the music though or the volume level. Oh well, got to try it once and there's another store I want to visit out that way anyways.

Hopefully some more beers make the tap list. I can't drink the Corne so it'll be King for most of the night (don't like drinking the same beer over and over and I hate paying bar prices of bottles that are LCBO/TBS available) until finishing with the Peche.
lister

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Went last night, hoping to avoid the masses but it was pretty busy. Cool place, but 16 oz beers??? I asked the waitress why we can't get an imperial pint and she said:
1. They couldn't find 20 oz glasses. I gave her the stink eye.
2. The owners had to figure out the "price point" and thought that was a good deal. $7 ($8 for DDC) for 16 oz's?
3. It's craft beer so they need to charge more for less.

At that point I told her I could get 20 oz of the same thing ( Church Key) across the street, so they're not the only ones in the neighbourhood pouring it. She gave up and walked away. Wicked bourbon selection though...

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Poor waitress, having to put up with customers like that.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Philip1 wrote:Poor waitress, having to put up with customers like that.
Whatever. Unless I'm mistaken, you weren't sitting at our table and therefore have no context of the situation. So I'll tell you. It was a lighthearted exchange that didn't affect her excellent service and attitude toward us for the rest of the night.
She certainly wasn't offended by my preference for 20 ounces.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Malcolm wrote:...I could get 20 oz of the same thing ( Church Key) across the street...
Which brew? Have they expanded the tap list from three, or is this replacing one of the three posted in the chalkboard photo?