Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Big Rig Brewpub - Ottawa

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

We went there today. It reopened this evening after a small fire disrupted a busy opening week. Cutting to the chase, we really enjoyed both the IPA and Hefeweizen. They were both good enough for us that we'd probably buy them in the future to drink at home. We also had the Brown, which we thought was a bit lacking in character and weak in flavour. I also had the Stout which was better, but I'm still unsure of...I will want to try it again sometime. They sell the Gold in bottles (we didn't try it but it appears to be the one targetted at the macro crowd) and sell growlers of the rest. We will definitely return for the IPA and Hefe (which is the seasonal and hopefully will stick around for a while).

I'll add that they explicitly advertise 'true 20 oz. pints', which I appreciated. They also sell a 12 oz. size.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

My brother brought my dad a growler of the red for Father's Day. Thought it was nice, some pretty tasty malt in there.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Went today and was impressed with the beer line-up. One word of caution, the $7.50 sampler of "6 ounce" tastings I ordered had a good ounce missing from each glass. Felt ripped off. The Red and IPA were both out, but enjoyed the rest. Gold has a real nice grainy malt, more German than anything, pretty shy on the hops front. The Brown had a surprisingly toasty malt profile, if I closed my eyes I might have said porter. Stout was just a touch more roasty than the Brown. Hefe was really quite good. Probably not the most complex wheat I've ever had, but really nice flavour to it.

Working out kinks with the wait staff (understandably) and there are A LOT of wait staff, making for some awkwardness when you're trying to get a table, order drinks, order food, etc.

Ron Eade says they have (or will have) self-pours at two tables, which, I believe, is a first for Ottawa.

Menu is too big. I had the chicken and avocado sandwich, which was good. Wife had a burger, which wasn't so much. Pizza looked tasty.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I was in for a pint a lunch yesterday as well, and some things to like, but lots of issues for me...

1. My Stout was ice cold. Took nearly 20 mins just to get it to even the high end of the right range of temp.
2. Staff was nice, but completely clueless. First bartender asked me if I liked the stout, then confided to me it was an "acquired taste, I'm more of a light beer drinker myself." I asked the second guy if he had any idea on the next seasonal, and he told me, "strawberry". I asked if he meant a strawberry wheat, or porter... he just responded, "no, I think just strawberry." ???
3. I can't handle the Shania Twain music. I'm reasonably open on the music front, but I'll have a real problem going back if the soundtrack continues to be that plastic country style.
4. Nice to see a guess tap, although the helles lager from Kichessipi is as safe as it could get. I don't know why you'd bother when you are pouring the Gold.

The stout was inoffensive. I got a taster of the Hefe Weizen, and liked it enough that I bought a growler (I had to get a growler for a buddy so I figured that worked best for me). As you said, IPA and red were both out. Given the stout's basic profile, I assume the red would have been similar. Would have been interested in trying the IPA.

I'd go back, but I'd have to get some arm twisting do it unless they move off that country vibe. The beer was decent enough, but the whole, "Moxie's in Red Deer" thing they have going for them is not at all for me.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

I went by there to pick up some growlers for the weekend, but there was nary a growler to be had, completely sold out of them. Not surprising given the long weekend I guess. Anyway, picked up a six of the Gold and was pretty impressed. I wouldn't order it if the IPA or Hefe was on tap but it's a nice tasting beer. Would be classified as a good lawn mower beer for the summer, or one to order for the Bud-drinking relatives.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Was there for lunch on Saturday, and I'm pretty sure I will never step foot in the place again unless threatened with a gun to my head (and even then...). The music, I can't take it.

Nothing bad to say about the beer (the IPA was fine, albeit unremarkable), the food (meh but not terrible - although I did find it on the pricey side of chain restaurant type food) or the service ("have you ever had an IPA before, it is very hoppy?).

But my lord I could not handle the Dixie Chicks, Shania and assorted vestiges of early 90s country.

What an odd mix for a craft beer destination. I hope for their sake it works, but it won't happen with my help.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Guess Chris Philips is a country music fan. And not the good country.