Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask at The Monarch Tavern

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Cask at The Monarch Tavern

Post by GregClow »

While I've never been there myself, I've heard some good things about the Monarch Tavern, an historic (since 1927) watering hole on Clinton near College that was refurbished and relaunched a few months back. I've been meaning to go check it out for a while, and now I'm even more inclined to do so, as they're serving cask ale as of this weekend.

The first cask going on today is the vanilla version of Great Lakes Harry Porter. Not sure if they're tied to GL exclusively for casks, or if they'll be rotating.

They've got a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/monarchtavern - with a Drinks list under the "Menu" section. It's not yet updated to include the cask, but a half-decent list of taps and bottles. The sandwiches and burgers sound pretty good as well.

austin

Post by austin »

This is good news albeit surprising. I remember the Monarch as a an old watering hole at 20 cents a glass to wash down a veal sandwich from Bitondo's across the street. Wow, and now cask ale......holy moly.

Liverdie

Post by Liverdie »

GregClow wrote:While I've never been there myself, I've heard some good things about the Monarch Tavern, an historic (since 1927) watering hole on Clinton near College that was refurbished and relaunched a few months back. I've been meaning to go check it out for a while, and now I'm even more inclined to do so, as they're serving cask ale as of this weekend.

The first cask going on today is the vanilla version of Great Lakes Harry Porter. Not sure if they're tied to GL exclusively for casks, or if they'll be rotating.

They've got a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/monarchtavern - with a Drinks list under the "Menu" section. It's not yet updated to include the cask, but a half-decent list of taps and bottles. The sandwiches and burgers sound pretty good as well.
How much of that GL Vanilla Harry do they have over there? Do you think it's gone already?

Cheers,
Live or Die by Good Beer

Liverdie

Post by Liverdie »

GregClow wrote:While I've never been there myself, I've heard some good things about the Monarch Tavern, an historic (since 1927) watering hole on Clinton near College that was refurbished and relaunched a few months back. I've been meaning to go check it out for a while, and now I'm even more inclined to do so, as they're serving cask ale as of this weekend.

How much of that GL Vanilla Harry do they have over there? Do you think it's gone already?

Cheers,
Live or Die by Good Beer

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

austin wrote:This is good news albeit surprising. I remember the Monarch as a an old watering hole at 20 cents a glass to wash down a veal sandwich from Bitondo's across the street. Wow, and now cask ale......holy moly.
True that. But I do recall talking to the manager about a year ago about changing up the lines. They had opened a cool little room for live entertainment and they were getting more people asking for different stuff. He was open to the idea, so maybe this is the payoff.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ooops - got my Monarchs mixed up. I was referring to the one on Dundas near Yonge. Thought it sounded too good to be true...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

anyone been here recently? I was thinking about stopping by while in town today...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I had no idea that they sold cask. By pure chance I was in that neighbourhood on Sunday and decided to pop in however they were closed :( I'll make an effort to get there when they're open. That's great news.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Who on earth goes to Bitondo's except for their excellent slices. San Fran's across the street has been to the go to place for steak on a bun for 40 years ..my fist sandwich cost me 25 cents and California down the street off Clinton is the best veal in the world. Caplansky's at Monarch was an abberation and I don't go to their new place...too much smoke and not enough meat...overpoering and not enjoyable...you want pastami...Moe Pancers...still the best in the city for probably 50 years since Switzer's left Spadina...I am an old guy but I love my deli and there is little left in Toronto that is good...need a yearly visit to Montreal to partake in this excellent briscuit.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Um...huh???
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Once again reminded why I don't come here much. Hippity-Hoppity's drunken meandering spew now has the classic old Stranglers song repeating in my head:

"What an old codger I am
What an old codger I am
What an old codger I am
What an old codger I am
What an old codger I am
What an old codger I am"
"Drinking removes warts and pimples. Not from me. But from those I look at." - Jackie Gleason

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Um...huhh..a fabulous post...what the f*** does it mean...if you don't have words...save them for when you have something intelligent to say.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Was just here last night and impressed with the list of beers on tap. Lots of local stuff. Tried Junction Conductor's Craft Ale for the first time, and happy to see Denison's Dunkel on the menu too. They were actually OUT of their cask selection by 8pm when I arrived, which was too bad.

For food, they feature a rotating selection of food trucks to take over their kitchen. Right now it's Spencer's Kitchen. I had deep-fried pickles (amazing), chocolate-covered bacon (not so much) and a Reuben sandwich encased in puff-pastry, which was delicious. Food prices are reasonable as well.

Plus the place has a friendly, relaxed vibe, even as it got busier as the night progressed.

I'll be heading back to the Monarch soon! Hopefully they'll have more cask beer when I do.