Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brothers Beer Bistro - Ottawa

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

rejtable wrote:Yup, but realy, that's the best tap list in the city, as crappy as that is to say. Food is a lot more expensive than I was expecting as well. Definitely not the kind of place I'd make a regular destination, unless the tap list improves significantly.
Is it really the best tap list in the city? Serious question. With the exception of the DDCs and that Koning'en (awesome) everything is available somewhere else in Ottawa I think. A couple places might even have them all.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

Bytowner wrote:
rejtable wrote:Yup, but realy, that's the best tap list in the city, as crappy as that is to say. Food is a lot more expensive than I was expecting as well. Definitely not the kind of place I'd make a regular destination, unless the tap list improves significantly.
Is it really the best tap list in the city? Serious question. With the exception of the DDCs and that Koning'en (awesome) everything is available somewhere else in Ottawa I think. A couple places might even have them all.
Arrow and loon generally has a pretty decent selection of Ontario beers (and casks) and personally I think gives it a run for its money. However the staff is generally not knowledgeable which detracts from the experience.

This is definitely a bit underwhelming, I was hoping for a decent tap list that could rival Volo (a bit wishful thinking)

Actually something I just noticed: they're still updating the bottle list. Stay hopeful!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Oh yah, still reason to be optimistic, once they develop relationships with breweries things should improve... That said, those food prices will hold me back until there's something worth going for.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

For what it's worth, the guys at Brother's have ordered a variety of Belgians from us which should start appearing in the next month or so. Their hearts appear to be in the right place so give them some time.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Bytowner wrote:
Aside from A&L who else has that many "tasty" taps? I am asking honestly as well, plenty of places have a few good choices, but pretty much just these guys and A&L, right?

I guess you'd have to do a side by side with A&L, but last time I was there compared to this list, I think I'd go to BBB, but it would be close. Food prices will kill BBB for me. 90% of my pub experience these days has kids in tow.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

rejtable wrote:
Bytowner wrote:
Aside from A&L who else has that many "tasty" taps? I am asking honestly as well, plenty of places have a few good choices, but pretty much just these guys and A&L, right?
Good taps lists in Ottawa and its region... (including Gatineau)

- Autre Oeil (Grimbergen dubbel, Chimay, DDCs, Trois Pistoles, etc)
- Black Tomato (Smashbomb, Beaver River, Mad Tom, MacAuslan Ste-Ambroise Stout/Apricot/Cream/Pale, Spearhead)
- BDT 20 House beers + 1 guest beer (currently; Scotch ale, brandy barrel aged impy stout, charlevoix Vache Folle, Imperial IPA, and a "special" cinnamon/chilli beer called Belle Empoisonneuse)
- Highlander Pub (Barking Squirrel, Sam Adams seasonal, Wychwood, always some nice bitters)

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

iguenard wrote: Good taps lists in Ottawa and its region... (including Gatineau)

- Black Tomato (Smashbomb, Beaver River, Mad Tom, MacAuslan Ste-Ambroise Stout/Apricot/Cream/Pale, Spearhead)
- BDT 20 House beers + 1 guest beer (currently; Scotch ale, brandy barrel aged impy stout, charlevoix Vache Folle, Imperial IPA, and a "special" cinnamon/chilli beer called Belle Empoisonneuse)
- Highlander Pub (Barking Squirrel, Sam Adams seasonal, Wychwood, always some nice bitters)
Yeah, I was specifically just talking about Ottawa. Best tap list around is probably BDT. L'autre Oeil has tasty taps too.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

rejtable wrote:
iguenard wrote: Good taps lists in Ottawa and its region... (including Gatineau)

Yeah, I was specifically just talking about Ottawa. Best tap list around is probably BDT. L'autre Oeil has tasty taps too.
I'd consider l'autre oeil my hidden gem of the area. If you have a way there, they have an enormous bottle list, incredibly cheap Cantillon, and a regular rotation of great taps. Biked there from Kanata just last weekend.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I'd add to the list:

Wellington Gastropub
Manx
Sir John A's
Cheshire Cat

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I love the Manx, but the tap list is pretty dull. I had totally forgotten about the Cheshire Cat. Last time I was there the tap list was every bit as good as anything going on at A&L. Love the place. But it's too damned far!!

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Was in over the weekend for some beers and thought it was a great place. The menu was a little pricier than a pub as others mentioned, but the food being offered is definitely higher caliber than your average pub. Duck rillets or octopus aren't something you'll find in places that offer you this much beer selection. I had already eaten so I only had the soup, which was really good. I also thought it was cool that the butters that accompany the breads are flavoured with hops and malt: one cascade hop butter, one choc malt butter, both good, choc one is the best though. Sure the selection could be a bit deeper, but that will come. I will definitely be stopping by here for pints and the occasional meal through the summer.

I'm also a big fan of the Manx and wish their taps would get a little more adventurous as well.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.