Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Oxley

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

The Oxley

Post by GregClow »

Fans of The Queen & Beaver might be interested to know that owner Jamieson Kerr and chef Andrew Carter have opened sibling establishment a bit uptown from the original.

The Oxley (121 Yorkville Avenue) is a bit bigger than the Q&B, but very similar in most respects. The main floor features a bar and dining room, and the upstairs is more pub-like with a TV for the footy.

Menu is similar upscale British gastropub fare, and the beer list is virtually identical, with taps including Beau's Lugtread, London Pride, Thornbury Cider, etc. There are also two cask engines that are dedicated to Durham and Beau's - when I was there last week, Red Dragon and Beaver River IPA were available.

A nice addition to Yorkville - and should be even nicer when the big patio out back opens.

http://www.theoxley.com/
http://twitter.com/theoxley1

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Sounds great - wish I would have known this weekend, during TCAF - Not too many pubs in Yorkville...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

Another place with the fuck-you attitude of pubs that don't open till the banking community has finished its day's work. Try turning up at 4:30pm when it's pissing down with rain, and see how you like the Oxley. I can understand places like the Bellwoods Brewery; I can't imagine Ossington between Dundas and Queen has a big lunch trade. But Yorkville? There must be what, a hundred, two hundred millionaires living within a block or two of the place and it's not worth paying a bartender to hang about during the afternoon? I might get there some time when I'm in the neighbourhood -- no cinema in the area any more -- and it's fashionably late, but to hell with them otherwise. There was even a televised football match this afternoon, but not for the Oxleyites. Rant over.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Nice rant, Nick - but they're going to opening at lunch time starting tomorrow.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

It was a very nice rant, though.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

icemachine wrote:It was a very nice rant, though.
Oh, no doubt! One the best I've seen in a while... :wink:

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

just wait until he hears that the price of lightbulbs is going up

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

Damn. Not lightbulbs as well. Still, look on the bright side. I've finally dried out from yesterday. Maybe next year I'll be in Yorkville again and I'll give the place another shot.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Went there this week on Tuesday (luckily it was open and not raining) :-)

Very nice space, and large - downstairs bar & dining area, upstairs lounge, front patio and back patio. Definitely a great addition to Yorkville where it is not easy to get good beer.

Fair warning, definitely Yorkville prices. $7.50/$8.50 + tax for cask. They had Durham Red Dragon & Beaver River on cask which were both very good.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Good report Cass, will stop by soon.

Gary
Gary Gillman