Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Thirsty & Miserable - Kensington Market

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

duncan

Thirsty & Miserable - Kensington Market

Post by duncan »

Being in a bar that used to be Planet Kensington was a bit of a trip down memory lane. It was like a Freedom 55 commercial. 20 year old me hanging out with 30 year old me. "I am you, from the future." Now it being a craft bar, it is almost as if the bars I frequented in my youth have grown alongside me. And incidentally, Minor Threat makes great drinking music. :P

In terms of beers. Good selection of local, and some imports on tap. Had GLB's 25th anniversary porter, and one too many pints of Peche Mortel. Speaking to the owner/bartender, she told me they will always make an effort to have Dieu du Ciel available either on draught or in bottle. Which is a good thing imo.

With this bar, and others in the area the market is fast becoming a craft beer bar hoping destination. All the more I say.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

duncan wrote:With this bar, and others in the area the market is fast becoming a craft beer bar hopping destination. All the more I say.
Yeah for sure, we've got a beer route developing in that area and right over to Caplansky's, Cloak and Dagger and Smokeless Joe. La Palette on Queen West has not moved terribly far south of Kensington either, has really nice barside seating that just calls you in.
In Beerum Veritas

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

I have to be honest each time I consider T&M I never make it past the doorstep. The smell of dead fish masked with febreeze-like air fresheners is truly disgusting.

duncan

Post by duncan »

cmadd wrote:I have to be honest each time I consider T&M I never make it past the doorstep. The smell of dead fish masked with febreeze-like air fresheners is truly disgusting.
The entire market can be an affront to the nostrils, especially in the heat of the summer. It is nice in the winter when the smell has frozen over.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

duncan wrote:
cmadd wrote:I have to be honest each time I consider T&M I never make it past the doorstep. The smell of dead fish masked with febreeze-like air fresheners is truly disgusting.
The entire market can be an affront to the nostrils, especially in the heat of the summer. It is nice in the winter when the smell has frozen over.
Yeah - It was the same when Freshwood Grill was there - and while the whole market can be smelly, I have to admit that side of Baldwin is particularly bad.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i went yesterday.
probably is in the top 5 Toronto bars for bottle selection.

i had a saison Dupont and a Petrus Aged Pale. they had st Bernadus and the Rochfortes in the fridge.

while their tap list is fine, they certainly should be in consideration for being part of a regular bar loop.

its pretty awesome to grab a Dupont and then walk half a block away to Agave y Aquacate, grab something awesome for dinner, and bring it to T&M to eat with your beer.