Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Hop

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

Post by zane9 »

cratez wrote:... Too many Toronto bars focus on style over substance, while slacking on everything else. No other T.O. beer bar nails the combo of service, food, ambience (in terms of people actually talking to each other), and beer selection the way Bar Hop does...
Amen to that. We've got some pubs in Hamilton who are delivering 95% of that combo. Just a few tweaks needed.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

lister wrote:
What would be your example of a handsome Toronto bar?

I rarely sit at the tables either in the front or back preferring the bar and I like that space. Feels comfortable to me.
I'm with you. I've only ever sat at the bar and I like it. I usually go for lunch on a weekday when it is never crowded. I always enjoy my food (pot pies in particular) and 9 times out of ten enjoy chatting with the servers.

I don't go out too often anymore, and have not been to some of the newer beer bars, but Barhop is still my favorite in the city.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Bar Hop is definitely my go to when I'm in the smoke.

Am I bummed that its jammed almost everynight (seemingly)? Yeah.
But I'll take it. Rather that than it being dead, not make rent, and go under.

Service there is top shelf.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

lister wrote:
atomeyes wrote:i'll be honest as well: it isn't the most handsome of Toronto spaces. feels more like what I'd expect from a bar back in Winnipeg. it's dark and doesn't have much style to it.
What would be your example of a handsome Toronto bar?

I rarely sit at the tables either in the front or back preferring the bar and I like that space. Feels comfortable to me.
Bellwoods has charm.
the new Amsterdam brewpub does have a bit of a cold feel to it, and i don't dig the 1000 tvs, but i think it was very nicely done. especially the patio. it would probably be closest to "handsome" as one can get.
the Only has charm coming out of it's ass. also smells like ass at times, but it is one of the most charming bars in toronto.
i was at 5 Paddles yesterday (Whitby). not a bar, but their tasting room is really cute. nicely done.
if you're just going for drinks, i think Cocktail Bar and Rhum Corner are beautiful spaces.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I agree that places like The Only, Ceili Cottage, Bellwoods and even Thirsty & Miserable (speaking of funky smell) have some charm.

But Bar Hop has one of the nicest bar seating areas, period. It feels like beer heaven, and for lack of much square footage I really wouldn't know what to expect of the rest of the seating areas, and I've never gotten tables there. If I wanted a loung-y cool dining space I'd go elsewhere.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

atomeyes wrote:Bellwoods has charm.
the new Amsterdam brewpub does have a bit of a cold feel to it, and i don't dig the 1000 tvs, but i think it was very nicely done. especially the patio. it would probably be closest to "handsome" as one can get.
the Only has charm coming out of it's ass. also smells like ass at times, but it is one of the most charming bars in toronto.
i was at 5 Paddles yesterday (Whitby). not a bar, but their tasting room is really cute. nicely done.
if you're just going for drinks, i think Cocktail Bar and Rhum Corner are beautiful spaces.
Interesting.

I find Bellwoods to be neutral. I don't love the space and I don't hate it. Just a big ball of meh.

Other than walking through the interior to get to the patio I've never sat inside Amsterdam Brewhouse since so far I find no value to the place beyond an afternoon on the patio overlooking the water. I'd go there far more often if there were more seasonals and one-offs. The insides looks like any other big chain interior. Meh.

Never been to The Only yet. It's very possible I'll have a dinner up on the Danforth in February so visits to Louis Cifer and The Only would be in the cards (birds, stones and the meeting thereof) I never get up to the Danforth since I've got the wealth of Bar Hop, C'est What, Wvrst, Bar Volo, Bellwoods, T&M, Tequila Bookworm, etc far closer to me.

I've only ever been inside Cocktail Bar when it was their brunch place. I've walked past the cocktail incarnation in the wee hours of the morning trudging home from elsewhere. It is on the list of places I'll be visiting. I appreciate a well made cocktail, I'd just like to grab a body to go with me.

Whenever I finally get out to Oshawa for a visit to Buster Rhino's (man, would love an outlet here downtown) I may stop in a 5 Paddles on the way.
Last edited by lister on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:I agree that places like The Only, Ceili Cottage, Bellwoods and even Thirsty & Miserable (speaking of funky smell) have some charm.
I've been to Ceili Cottage once and find the place to be too confined, tight and uncomfortable. Otherwise it's fine.

I do enjoy the divey nature of T&M. I frequently just go there by myself and discover some interesting music that Katie has curated. It's especially nice that a good NYC-ish pizza place and Belgian frites place have opened up in Kensington.
But Bar Hop has one of the nicest bar seating areas, period. It feels like beer heaven, and for lack of much square footage I really wouldn't know what to expect of the rest of the seating areas, and I've never gotten tables there. If I wanted a loung-y cool dining space I'd go elsewhere.
I've been at the tables a handful of times and I'm not a huge fan. It's a little more noisy particularly in the back area. Certain tables feel a little more confining. The front is a little better especially during the summer when the patio doors are open. I do like the more immediate service at the bar area, a little less noise and staring at the wall of booze.

I've been in Bar Hop's particular space for the two previous incarnations, Spoon, a restaurant and whatever the lounge was called. Spoon was so loud due to an even lower ceiling. And the lounge, ugh. Dance music, over priced shitty drinks and food and that low ceiling. Not my bag. I was initially worried when Bar Hop started and how loud it would be but getting rid of that lower ceiling helped a great deal.
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:I agree that places like The Only, Ceili Cottage, Bellwoods and even Thirsty & Miserable (speaking of funky smell) have some charm.

obvs, it's personal option. but the tables are close to one another. near-black walls and dim light don't equal comfortable. and in the summer, it's just gross and warm in there.

i go to BarHop only for the tap list and, more recently, reliable and very good bar food. the only time i've talked to neighbouring tables (something that always happens at the Only) was a month ago. a mom and her daughter started talking to us. they were doing shots. daughter disclosed she worked at the Brass Rail. good times.

eric hasler

Post by eric hasler »

Ya gotta love a business that has a website that gives its opening times as 12:00 - 2:00 AM full kitchen Monday to Sunday. So I called on Monday as friends wanted to go there and I got the answering service that had the same message so the 3 of us trudged down at 1:30 only to find it closed with a piece of paper saying they are opening at 4:00. As I banged on the door a wait-staff opened the door only to say they are closed and 'have a nice day'. Well one more place I won't be spending my money...I am running out of establishments to go to....unless I want low rung.
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific"

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

They did post on their app they would be opening at 4 on Family Day...but it may have been later in the afternoon...
I still love this place and wont stop going cause of this
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'm sure it's an honest mistake and due more to seasonality than anything else.

Go to C'est What if you want a sure bet. I think it only closes on Xmas Day.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

yeah, but it's 2015. use your website and voicemail along with other social media.
don't Grand Electric it and not help people throw money at you

eric hasler

Post by eric hasler »

Just received a call from someone 'representing' Bar Hop..after explaining what happened I got the customary 'I'm sorry' I then received an explanation..'I didn't change the voice mail as I always screw it up and takes me 30 minutes to do'.
Perfect..take away the plight of a customer(s) who wants to give you money and do the 'woa is me'. I am done with this place and if this is how they treat 'customers' then this will be an empty hole in the wall shortly.
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific"

nickw

Post by nickw »

It sucks you had one bad experience. I've had nothing but good to great service there, as has everyone I've talked to, so I don't think they'll be a hole in the wall too soon.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Agree with nickw above..only good to great service..and if this one experience is enough for you to stop going to one of the best beer bars n the city, I say hurrah..more more room for me
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...