Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Hop

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Grey

Post by Grey »

I was stopping by Bar Hop after work about once a week for a little while, sometimes with the intention to only have one beer... just impossible with the tap list there.

Easily my favourite bar in Toronto.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ What grey said, really excellent (dare I say) Brooklyn/Manhattan level of bar. Inviting atmosphere conducive to socializing, and the food people were enjoying looks very tasty.

Speaking of that 'oft referred to' city of NY I poked my head into The Brooklyn Tavern today, I guess a reasonably cute Leslieille resto but not knowing it I felt more inclined going to other locals to eat or imbibe (Gio Rana's, Vi Vehta, Queen Margerita, Ceili Cottage...) I'll be watching for any glowing reviews though. Bonus local information: the new Hogtown smoke house in the Beaches sells rotating Beau's selections like Bog Water to go with their defiantly' slow food' authentic brisket and pulled pork. Expensivish but nice food, nice people. Good for a sociial sit-down.
In Beerum Veritas

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

I've only been to TO twice this past year but both times went to Bar Hop. Too many new beers for me to try in too short a time so other than the obligatory pint of cask ale to start off with I ended up going mostly with samplers. I suppose if any criticism at all could be levelled at the place it is that they only have one cask - Naughty Neighbour when I was there last - but perhaps there wouldn't be enough to turnover leading to waste. Still one of the best beer bars I've been to in recent years.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Philip1 wrote:I suppose if any criticism at all could be levelled at the place it is that they only have one cask - Naughty Neighbour when I was there last - but perhaps there wouldn't be enough to turnover leading to waste. Still one of the best beer bars I've been to in recent years.
More times than not, by a good margin, Bar Hop usually has two casks going. I live across the street so... ya know... :wink:

I'd agree with Belgian about the (good) NYC feel of the place. They've stepped the food up too which is nice. This is pretty much what I've been hoping for since the opening. I'd still prefer a fantastic truffle mac & cheese over the smoked duck they currently have.
lister

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

How do they have bottles of Westvletern XII? Isn't this only available at the Abbey?

Would an agent have to bring it in to legally sell it?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

BakaGaijin wrote:How do they have bottles of Westvletern XII? Isn't this only available at the Abbey?

Would an agent have to bring it in to legally sell it?
There are agents in Belgium that acquire it and resell it. It's considered grey market, but apparently the LCBO does not worry much about that as long as it passes their lab standards
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

nickw

Post by nickw »

I've also seen it served at WVRST, Bellwoods, and Sin & Redemption.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

nickw wrote:I've also seen it served at WVRST, Bellwoods, and Sin & Redemption.
Not to mention Volo, The Only, Sarah's, Beer Bistro, etc.

Since the 4-packs ran through the LCBO a year or two ago (and a local importer got a bunch of 24s in) Westy has been all over the place.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

icemachine wrote:There are agents in Belgium that acquire it and resell it. It's considered grey market, but apparently the LCBO does not worry much about that as long as it passes their lab standards
i'm not exactly going to put anything past the LCBO, but I highly doubt these came via grey market - they just wouldn't be able to offer up that sort of quantity. we're likely still seeing the remains of the (official) releases from the last couple years.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

nickw

Post by nickw »

If memory serves correctly (and I'm pretty sure it does!), I'm pretty sure both Barhop and Bellwoods (at least) had the XII on offer before they were offered through the LCBO in November-December 2012.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Isn't the easy way to answer the question to look at the bottles? To my understanding, the official release was the only set of bottles that were branded. If the bottles are plain, then I believe they are "grey market".
Given the quantities that appear to be available, I strongly doubt that the current set is from the official release.

Also, keep in mind that several of these locations also offer the 8 - which has never had an official release that I know of.
Ren

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

A local importer got 24s of both the 12 and the 8 very shortly after the LCBO release. I remember being annoyed in the best possible way when I got the e-mail that my 24 of each was ready for pickup like a month after I stood in line repeatedly at 7 am to get my little 4 pack from the LCBO.

Quite a few bars in the city have had it for years though. I can't speak to their sources, but it's never really been unheard of.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

there were 24's of multiple westvleteren types available officially a while (a year?) before the 6-pack gift sets that were in the lcbo. may have been more since.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

grub wrote:there were 24's of multiple westvleteren types available officially a while (a year?) before the 6-pack gift sets that were in the lcbo. may have been more since.
Grub is correct, there have been mulitple two four cases available serval times over the past three years. Most of which likely went to bars. Crazy price changes as well originally $484, $380, and then $75 for the six and two small glasses.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We have been bringing in both the 8 & 12 for several years now...about every 4 months or so. I have a whack of 12 on the way which should be here in about 2 months. Anyone interested can e-mail me at espritagencies@sympatico.ca.

Peter