Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Craft Beer in Richmond Hill!

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Craft Beer in Richmond Hill!

Post by icemachine »

Okay, possibly a little over the top heading but Beau's Lugtread was on tap at The King Henry's Arms at Yonge/16th. I believe this is the first time I've seen anything craft other than Creemore in an RH pub
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

icemachine wrote:Okay, possibly a little over the top heading but Beau's Lugtread was on tap at The King Henry's Arms at Yonge/16th. I believe this is the first time I've seen anything craft other than Creemore in an RH pub
Well - I may need to drive over from Brampton to patron it. Anything we can get north of Steeles, we probably need to encourage.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Where is Richmond Hill again? Is that north of Bloor???? (kidding)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

JerCraigs wrote:Where is Richmond Hill again? Is that north of Bloor???? (kidding)
Somewhere on that Sheppard line. :lol:
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

So is there seriously no craft beer bars north of highway 7? Seems like a missed opportunity considering how fast I hear seasonals fly off the shelves at Yonge/Hwy 7 LCBO...

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

ercousin wrote:So is there seriously no craft beer bars north of highway 7? Seems like a missed opportunity considering how fast I hear seasonals fly off the shelves at Yonge/Hwy 7 LCBO...
not that i've found. there's one local spot on hwy 7 (technically the south side of hwy 7, so it fails your query) that has a couple of the pedestrian amsterdam offerings and formerly had tankhouse when it was under different ownership, but that single location is the best i've found up here. I'd kill for a good quality beer bar in markham, especially if it were walking distance...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

grub wrote:
ercousin wrote:So is there seriously no craft beer bars north of highway 7? Seems like a missed opportunity considering how fast I hear seasonals fly off the shelves at Yonge/Hwy 7 LCBO...
not that i've found. there's one local spot on hwy 7 (technically the south side of hwy 7, so it fails your query) that has a couple of the pedestrian amsterdam offerings and formerly had tankhouse when it was under different ownership, but that single location is the best i've found up here. I'd kill for a good quality beer bar in markham, especially if it were walking distance...
I don't get it, do bar owners up here think there's no market to support it? I mean only 30 minutes away there a booming craft beer market with annual growth that most industries would envy. I work north of hwy 7 and I was just curious because I've never heard of anything.

I mean Kitchener-Waterloo has had a few craft beer focused pubs open in the last 6 months, London seems to have a pretty good scene from all the posts on here, Whitby/Oshawa just got 5 Paddles. Richmond Hill/Markham has one of Canada's biggest population concentrations and there's nothing, at all. We might be getting an NHL team in the medium term... Seems silly but I guess everyone who wants to open a craft beer pub just goes south where every other beer bar is. They are a dime a dozen once you get below the 401.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Can we expand on this a bit?

Where are the craft beer bars north of the 401, in the GTA?

I was at Yonge & Steeles last Saturday afternoon, for a bridge game, and was wondering where we could go for a good beer afterwards.
We ended up going to the Twisted Kilt, at Davisville.
( I see that 'Stack' has opened near Yonge & Lawrence )

Did we have to go that far? Was there anything closer?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

hopdevil wrote:Can we expand on this a bit?

Where are the craft beer bars north of the 401, in the GTA?

I was at Yonge & Steeles last Saturday afternoon, for a bridge game, and was wondering where we could go for a good beer afterwards.
( I see that 'Stack' has opened near Yonge & Lawrence )

Did we have to go that far? Was there anything closer?
I live at Yonge/Sheppard, my "close" bar for a Friday night is Granite near Yonge/Eglinton. Haven't found anything closer yet.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Did we have to go that far?
Yes. It is still pretty much a wasteland. Stack (Yonge + Lawrence) is somewhat promising. On a recent visit it had GLB 666, Flying Monkeys Stereovision, Mad and Noisy IPL, and a couple of others on tap, so decent enough. And the food is nice if you're a carnivore. But really, Granite is the best option, and then Twisted Kilt, IMO.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Did we have to go that far?
Yes. It is still pretty much a wasteland. Stack (Yonge + Lawrence) is somewhat promising. On a recent visit it had GLB 666, Flying Monkeys Stereovision, Mad and Noisy IPL, and a couple of others on tap, so decent enough. And the food is nice if you're a carnivore. But really, from a beer perspective Granite is the best option, and then Twisted Kilt.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Still nowhere in newmarket serving anything decent since jack astors got rid of mad tom.

One of the locals has a fullers tap, but thats as exciting as it gets up here.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

In the west end, not much in Brampton or Mississauga. There IS West 50, but there's some serious issues there with service, freshness, dirty tap lines, etc. Haven't been there in a while but sources tell me they still have problems.

In Brampton there's only the more "progressive" chains. Jack Astors at 410 and Queen has Hops and Robbers, and the usually Hop City stuff. And Fionn Maccools by the court house, has some craft options. Be nice to get a cask engine in North Peel.

At my two local LCs the seasonals sell pretty quickly as well. First year we got Tree Double Hophead, all of Orion Gate's stock sold out in two days.

May have mentioned this before, but it sounds like there's a bit of racism in terms of what certain LCs stock. Sounds weird, I know, but I've spoken to more that one rep from breweries that have been told by store managers that the the population is essentially a bunch of Punjabis who only want hard liqour. :roll:

Anyway the Peche flew off the shelf here so fast this year that I missed out completely...

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i've occasionally joked that I probably have the best tap lineup north of 7 right here at home... and the sad part is it's probably true. well, not sad for me really, but a sad state of affairs for everyone else. :/
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

timeo

Post by timeo »

I live at Warden & Steeles and there's nothing resembling craft beer in the area. The few times I've even bothered trying to get a beer in the area ended up with me at Bier Markt at Don Mills/Lawrence.