Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New beer engine at The King Edward

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

King Edward

New beer engine at The King Edward

Post by King Edward »

Recently imported from the UK, we now have a liquid-cooled beer engine installed. This ensures that the beer in the cylinder stays at cellar temperature between pints. It also has a full "Northern" swan-neck and hand-turned creamer from Yorkshire, creating a pint just like they serve back in my home county! Right now it's pouring MacLeans Pale Ale.
www.thekingedward.com
Real food, real beer, real friendly!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I just came back from the King Eddy. Richard showed me his system and pulled me the best MacLean's Pale Ale pint I've ever had, and I've had more pints of this beer than probably any other. (I worked for Charles at MacLeans Ales before F&M).

Richard as a temp gauge on it at the bar. The pint he pulled was 8.4°C. It was the perfect temp., the beer was super clean, beautiful creamy head. All in all the best pull I've ever had.

I'm not just saying this as the beer rep. for this particular beer; I think any beer will be greatly enhanced on his new system and look forward to another one soon! Thanks Richard!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

can they pour Coors Lite at that Rocky Mountain temperature that makes it delicious?
howsabout Belgian tripels!

King Edward

Post by King Edward »

atomeyes wrote:can they pour Coors Lite at that Rocky Mountain temperature that makes it delicious?
No Coors Lite on draft at The Eddy, no MolBatts at all in fact. Just Ontario craft and quality imports :lol:

Glad you enjoyed you beer Matthew, we're very pleased with the new system. The past 6 years of serving cask have been great, but this steps it up a notch.
www.thekingedward.com

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

A sparkler is a must for certain cask ales, it really does liven the beer up. And being from t'North, it's the only way to serve cask, IMO.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

More good news for the London and area beer scene. Thanks for posting, Rich and Matt. I've never had anything less than a perfect cask pint at The Eddy, so the idea that this new system "greatly enhances" each beer is hard to fathom (how do you improve when there's nothing to improve upon?). But it sounds exciting and I can't wait to get out there for another pint!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

atomeyes wrote:can they pour Coors Lite at that Rocky Mountain temperature that makes it delicious?
huh???

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
huh???
(the first part's a joke refering to the Coors Lite ads)

King Edward

Post by King Edward »

It's pulling Welly County cask right now. Coming soon, Welly SPA and Muskoka Mad Tom IPA (both cask of course).
www.thekingedward.com

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

King Edward wrote:It's pulling Welly County cask right now. Coming soon, Welly SPA and Muskoka Mad Tom IPA (both cask of course).
If it wasn't nearly 2 hours of driving, Id be there!!!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

King Edward

Post by King Edward »

Slight change of order, the Mad Tom didn't arrive until late last week, so I've had a MacLeans on stillage which will go on next. This will put an extra week of maturity on the Mad Tom, which won't do any harm at that IBU! But it's only a pin, not a firkin so don't miss it. Keep your eye onbeermenus for updates.

Rich
www.thekingedward.com

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Visited the Eddy over the Christmas and Easter holidays and I'm happy to report that nothing has changed, and that of course is a good thing. Rich is still offering a solid lineup of craft and import taps and continues to pour a perfect pint of cask ale. In fact the cask Fuller's ESB (X-Mas) and draft Brit Hop Ale (Easter) were the best English ales I've had since visiting the UK in 2016. Glad to see the Eddy still going strong 13 years on.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott