Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

another micro in Ottawa

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lubiere

another micro in Ottawa

Post by Lubiere »

Scotty, the bartender at Arrow and Loon, told me that a new microbrewery will open in Ottawa's Westboro area. It'll be called Beyond the Pale....opening should be in September.

There's a boom in GOC town!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Good to hear. I know 3 brasseurs is getting close as well.

It's actually going to be enjoyable to eat and drink in Ottawa pretty soon.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

For the new micro, just brewery, or brewpub? Seems like expensive real estate for just a brewery.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

rejtable wrote:For the new micro, just brewery, or brewpub? Seems like expensive real estate for just a brewery.
A bit of Googling found a reference to it being "a nano-brewery in Ottawa's Hintonburg neighborhood". Is Hintonburg near/part of Westboro?

Whatever the case, that's about all I could find, but I'll keep digging.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

GregClow wrote:
rejtable wrote:For the new micro, just brewery, or brewpub? Seems like expensive real estate for just a brewery.
A bit of Googling found a reference to it being "a nano-brewery in Ottawa's Hintonburg neighborhood". Is Hintonburg near/part of Westboro?

Thanks!
Hintenburg is near. Previously pretty scummy, but undergoing a lot of upscale transformation. Hintenburg makes a lot of sense as there is still lots of relatively cheap space.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

rejtable wrote:
GregClow wrote:

Thanks!
Hintenburg is near. Previously pretty scummy, but undergoing a lot of upscale transformation. Hintenburg makes a lot of sense as there is still lots of relatively cheap space.
Plus Hintonburg is pretty accessible for people. Being in a fairly central location makes it easy to get there by car or transit. Which would probably be good if you were a nano-brewery who is going to be relying mostly on walk-in customers filling growlers and some keg accounts. I mean I like Broadhead's stuff but it is kind of a pain to get to there from my house otherwise I would get my growler filled way more often.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I wonder if it's these guys, going pro?

http://www.hintonbrew.com/

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

cfrancis wrote:I wonder if it's these guys, going pro?

I believe they are one in the same.
http://www.beyondthepale.ca/

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Awesome, that's like 2 mins from my office!

The Carleton is right there and they seem to be reasonably craft friendly, hopefully they get a tap there.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bytowner wrote:
cfrancis wrote:I wonder if it's these guys, going pro?

I believe they are one in the same.
http://www.beyondthepale.ca/
Seems like they're not, actually - just saw @BTPBrewing and @Hintonbrew chatting on Twitter with mention of a possible collaboration in the future.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

GregClow wrote:Seems like they're not, actually - just saw @BTPBrewing and @Hintonbrew chatting on Twitter with mention of a possible collaboration in the future.
Yikes. Be interesting to see if Ottawa can support all these places. Good profile here:
http://www.openfile.ca/ottawa/story/goi ... -tastebuds

That's quite a starting lineup!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Whoo-hoo!!

BtPbrewing

Post by BtPbrewing »

Thanks to you guys for your interest. We are very excited.

Things are moving forward for our brewery at this point so we wanted to take a minute to introduce ourselves. Beyond the Pale will be an artisan craft brewery located at 5 Hamilton Ave in Ottawa’s Hintonburg neighborhood. We’re in the old Honeywell building, right beside the Parkdale Market. There will be a small retail/tasting area, but we are strictly a brewery, not a brewpub.

Our venture was born from a passion for consuming delicious beer. We decided to brew beer that we thought was delicious, and wanted to drink ourselves. We think that we’ve done that with our release beers and wanted to share with the local community. Our first releases look like they will be the Rye Guy IPA (IPA, 6.7%), Imperial Super Guy (IIPA, 9.1%), The Darkness (oatmeal stout, 5.6%) and a yet to be named grapefruit wheat beer (still in test batch stages). The goal is also to have an additional 8-10 special release beers over our first year and we will be rolling out as much cask beer and other fun projects/collaborations as possible once we get up and running. Our beer is going to be available directly from the brewery in 64oz and 32oz growlers, as well as certain special releases in 22oz bombers. You’ll also find us on tap (and cask) at a few bars and restaurants in the city.

We are in the process of renovating our space and plan to open in late September/early October. We’ll keep those interested updated via Twitter (@BTPBrewing) and our website (www.beyondthepale.ca). Our site is currently a landing page, but we’ll have a full site up and running in the next couple of weeks. We’d like to integrate both with the beer community as well as the local community. Please reach out with any suggestions for how to go about achieving those goals.

Cheers!
Shane, Rob & Al
Beyond the Pale Brewing Company
beyondthepale.ca
@BtPbrewing

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

It's a heck of a spot for a brewery, especially given the hipster infestation. I'll have to get my fill before I move out of the area in the spring (I'm just by Tunney's now).

Off the top of my head, it would be really cool to link up with the Parkdale Market. I used to live by the Kernel Brewery in London. They were set up between a cheese vendor and a charcuterie. Don't know how big your space is, but having samples of Parkdale Market products along with beer would be very cool... unless there's some bizarre bylaw against that.

Can I assume the IPA has rye in it?

Brian

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Bytowner wrote:It's a heck of a spot for a brewery, especially given the hipster infestation. I'll have to get my fill before I move out of the area in the spring (I'm just by Tunney's now).
That is an awesome place for a brewery and will probably get a ton of walk in traffic, especially if you could some how get some signs (maybe in the market and along wellington) that tell people that there is beer this way (directing them to your brewery).