Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Bent Elbow (was: A Kitchener Christmas Present)

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

The Bent Elbow (was: A Kitchener Christmas Present)

Post by Rob Creighton »

Sounds like Harold is close to inking a deal on a joint on Weber Street in Kitchener (a mile closer to me than the Castle was :D ). He is talking 40 to 50 seats with a patio and 25 to 30 taps. Hopefully opening in early December. I am plotting a trial Executioners Ale as we speak. As yes...the schnitzel is back on the menu

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

This is awesome!!!

Closer to downtown, or closer to Fairway?

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Fairway. I believe "The Bent Elbow" is the tentative name

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Do you know what it is currently? I wouldn't mind just doing a drive by to see location.

Sounds great, though. Any talk of cask?

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

Awesome news, especially after the letdown that 'Beertown' is.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Wow!
A possible double play in Kitchener!
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8254

Maybe there is a beer god after all and she doesn't hate Kitchener?

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

The only places I can think of with a patio on Weber is TJ's Country Roadhouse (formerly Mother's Pizza...in the 80's.) and one of the restaurants in the Howard Johnson hotel. I believe I saw a sign to lease out the one that had a patio, it was called The Hub.

If it's either of those 2 locations I'd be ecstatic as they are both within a 10 minute walk for me. Hell, I could crawl home if it's in the TJ's location. (Don't hold me to that, I will not crawl!)

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

Used to live very close to that area. May have to move back soon! I still have a "golden ticket" hanging around somewhere for a growler of the Executioners Ale.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

kmallett wrote:Used to live very close to that area. May have to move back soon!
Me too - just lived down by Homer Watson - have to go back again over the winter!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I think kmallet is talking about the area I mentioned. Homer Watson is definitely a drive from there.

The Homer Watson area needs something though. Edelweiss wouldn't be too bad if they had even just one craft tap. The only other place in the Doon area is the Rabbid Fox (formerly Bogey's Rustic Grill.) The best beer they had was Leffe, which has since been replaced with a house beer. Surprisingly, the house beer is made by Grand River.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but Rob, what is the House beer at the Rabbid Fox?? I don't quite remember it too well as I was too far in when I had it, but from what I remember, I would say it was maybe a mix of any two of the 1913, Pils, or Galt Knife.

Also, any confirmation on the actual location of this place yet?

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

Kish84 wrote:I think kmallet is talking about the area I mentioned. Homer Watson is definitely a drive from there.
Used to live on Fifth Avenue, which was close to Kingsway Dr. and Franklin St. Was around the time that the Castle closed up so I didn't make it up there too often.

What happened to Bogey's? I used to go there the odd time when I was at Conestoga College. They had some decent food there.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

kmallett wrote:What happened to Bogey's? I used to go there the odd time when I was at Conestoga College. They had some decent food there.
I believe the owner wanted to retire and sold the place. I only went to Bogey's twice, but I think most of the menu items are the same, possibly just a new name and owner with a few minor changes.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Cruised by the new Castle location today. It appears that Harold has rented the old off track betting pub "Bettors" @ 2880 Weber east - just east of TJs and Wimpey’s. Bettors has finished moving their stuff to a new location but the old signage is still up. There is a small "Castle on King" sign in the window and some signs of renovating going on inside - looks like it will be a long shot for a Dec. opening.
Aventinus rules!

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

pootz wrote:Cruised by the new Castle location today. It appears that Harold has rented the old off track betting pub "Bettors" @ 2880 Weber east - just east of TJs and Wimpey’s. Bettors has finished moving their stuff to a new location but the old signage is still up. There is a small "Castle on King" sign in the window and some signs of renovating going on inside - looks like it will be a long shot for a Dec. opening.
WOW! That's less than a kilometre stumble for me. Definitely looking forward to this opening. I overlooked this location as I thought that was King St. and the fact that I didn't know it was a pub.

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

Anyone hear of any updates on the new place?