Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Imbibe Food 'n Drink - Kitchener

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Imbibe

Imbibe Food 'n Drink - Kitchener

Post by Imbibe »

Hey all you Bartowelers, just wanted to give you a heads up that in a week or two, Imbibe will be opening in downtown Kitchener at 10 King Street West. We will be focusing on all things local, including, of course, beer!

We will have 8 taps, and I'm looking for suggestions from the KW folk as to what should go on...

This is kinda what we're thinking of putting on:

StoneHammer
Grand River
Lake of Bays
Flying Monkeys
Sawdust City
Silversmith Brewery

2 rotating taps.

Any and all input is welcome...
Follow us @imbibebistro for updates.

Cheers guys!
Imbibe Food/Drink
10 King St West
Kitchener, ON
@imbibefooddrink
facebook.com/imbibefooddrink

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Welcome to Bartowel!
You are going the right way.
We'll be sure to bend your ear face to face upon opening but here goes - sticking to Ontario for now:
- call Troy @ Great lakes for sure
- Black Oak
- Cheshire Valley
- Muskoka ( I heard there is a barrel age Winter Beard coming)
- Nickelbrook - specifically Naughty Neighbour
- Amsterdam

I know there are others on here who will be happy to share opinions so I'll stop there. A decent stout, a porter (Cheshire Valley's is amazing but I'm not sure of availability) and an IPA/APA and you have me covered. Even if they rotate.

And if nothing else, a Grand River Mill Race Mild tap close to home has been a dream of mine for a LONG time.
Good luck!
Terry

Imbibe

Post by Imbibe »

Thanks Terry,

Greatl Lakes, Nickelbrook, Camerons (as long as they continue to do as well as the RyePA), and Muskoka will definitely be on the rotating taps. My concern with Black Oak is delivery, but if Ken can get it here, we will put it on tap! Same with the Boneshaker, but if all goes well, and people will deliver out here, I'm more than happy to put some great, interesting beers on tap...

And the Mill Race will definitely see it's share of time in the lineup, it's a damn shame that it's so difficult to find a Grand River tap anywhere around here...

Also happy to hear about Harold's new endeavour, the more places you can get a great pint, the better!
Imbibe Food/Drink
10 King St West
Kitchener, ON
@imbibefooddrink

King Edward

Post by King Edward »

Congrats Imbibe, and the best of luck. With 2 new venues coming to Kitchener maybe it's time Deb & I booked a hotel and spent a night there. It's been a while since we had a beer with Rob C too. Nice to see that you're looking at 8 taps, I see too many bars going for 20-30 taps and IMHO that's too many, only 10 of them will move fast enough and the rest will go off. Better to go with fresh/quality than quantity, again just my opinion. Give Wellington, Neustadt and Railway City a look too.

Cheers,

Rich
www.thekingedward.com
Real food, real beer, real friendly!

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Terry already mentioned everything I would have for beer selections, so no need to add on.

Will there be a website with a menu (both food and drink) and updates on rotating taps?

I Google mapped the location, is it within the Children's Museum, or separate from it?

Looking forward to your opening!

Cheers!

Kishan

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I am thinking its the building where 'taste of the meditteranean" used to be.

Will make a fun pub crawl between this and harold's new place.

Imbibe

Post by Imbibe »

Kishan,

Yes, there will be a website that will update both the food and beverage menu, we will also update via twitter and facebook, especially the rotating taps and the food specials.

We are attached to The Museum downtown, but not within it. There is a separate entrance on King. We are right across the street from the Walper Hotel, and the only patio on the block.

We had a great meeting with Silversmith Brewing yesterday, there black lager is amazing and will be a great pint to have during Octoberfest!

Cheers!
Kish84 wrote:Terry already mentioned everything I would have for beer selections, so no need to add on.

Will there be a website with a menu (both food and drink) and updates on rotating taps?

I Google mapped the location, is it within the Children's Museum, or separate from it?

Looking forward to your opening!

Cheers!

Kishan
Imbibe Food/Drink
10 King St West
Kitchener, ON
@imbibefooddrink

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

just read in a different thread that Imbibe will open next Monday

ill be there

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Just an FYI, they are only open for lunch & after work drinks this week. Next week they are open for dinner as well.

I know our Blackened Imp. Pils is on now though, and they only got 20L, so I wouldn't wait until next week! :wink:
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

This place is going to be great.

John (JB84) and I drove by today to see if it was open, as we have the last 2 weeks. The sign was off, but the door was open, and we saw people inside so we thought what the hell.

It wasn't open, but Bill let us in to take a look. I liked what I saw, its not a big place, but I'm ok with that, I believe 48 person capacity, including staff.

It's opening on Monday for dinner, unfortunately I won't be able to make it in until Friday at the earliest, unless I go in before work :lol:

I wish all the best to Bill. I'm excited for this to open as there is absolutely nothing else in Kitchener.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

I met jessem @ Imbibe last night, great space and it was pretty full, service was great, but the tap lineup was a little dissapointing

this is easily the best place in downtown kitchener, hopefully the next time the taps will be a little more adventurous

on tap last night:

Silversmith Black Lager
F&M Pilsner
Grand River Galt Knife
Lake of Bays Mocha Porter
Thornbury Cider

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Bill has 6 taps, so something must have been out. I know Crazy Canuck was on a few weeks ago.

Our Oatmeal Coffee Stout should be making an appearance soon!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Bill has 6 taps, so something must have been out. I know Crazy Canuck was on a few weeks ago.

Our Oatmeal Coffee Stout should be making an appearance soon!
i was told that something had just run out and they were waiting for the next keg to get cold, thats why they werent pouring 6 taps

i would have loved if either Crazy Canuck or F&M Oatmeal Coffee Stout had been on! it would have made my night

like i said everything about the place was really good except the tap lineup and i know the tap lineup has the potential to be fantastic, it just wasnt very good last night

Imbibe

Post by Imbibe »

Hey Matt,

The problem is that we're going through beer significantly quicker than what we assumed we would do...

We are looking forward to having the following kegs on for next week:
Great Lakes Devils Pale Ale
Great Lakes Crazy Canuck
StoneHammer Oatmeal Coffee Stout
Nickelbrook Naughty Neighbour American Pale Ale
Nickelbrook Bolshevik Bastard
Lake of Bays Spark House Red
Wellington Bootchuck IPA
Flying Monkeys Stereovision
Flying Monkeys Smashbomb

and we're hoping to get something from Sawdust City delivered as well...

Hopefully this entices you to come back!

Cheers!
Imbibe Food/Drink
10 King St West
Kitchener, ON
@imbibefooddrink

Imbibe

Post by Imbibe »

And I totally forgot to mention the Grand River Double IPA that will hopefully be ready for Wednesday!
Imbibe Food/Drink
10 King St West
Kitchener, ON
@imbibefooddrink