Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pepperwood`s

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Pepperwood`s

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but I went back about 10 pages and did not see a thread on this place. A search yielded noting.

I was here last night with some friends, tried all the house ales they had on offer(which were all fantastic), and also Nickel Brook APA, a 6.5% beauty of a pale ale with a much lighter malt bill than Headstock, but all the hops and less alcohol.

It was fairly modern with the decor, nice low lit atmosphere, not really a place you`d go just to have a beer IMO (though we did).

I ordered the panna cotta cheesecake because I could not resist this seemingly new(to me) flavour of cheesecake. It was the best cheesecake I have ever had.

Menu looks promising but like I said we really did not eat. But I`d go back for the beer anytime. Give it a shot!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

In Burlington? I haven't been in ages. The food was always quite good when I was there before. Anyone know who is brewing there now that Paul Dickey has left?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:In Burlington? I haven't been in ages. The food was always quite good when I was there before. Anyone know who is brewing there now that Paul Dickey has left?
Yes Jer, the Burlington location.

To answer your question, no one is currently brewing there. While they have the equipment to brew just as they used to, apparently a lot of it isn`t working (according to staff). The beer is actually all contract brewed at Nickel Brook at this time.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I too haven't been in years.

I used to live at Six Points in Etobicoke, just steps from Miller's Bistro which had three different Pepperwood taps. I enjoyed the Pale Ale serveral time per week. One day when I was heading to Hamilton and was ahead of schedule I stopped into Pepperwoods to see what else they had. I asked the server what they had and was recommended Stella. I said but this is a brew pub what of your own beers can I try? I was told "the Stella is very popular". Never went back but did send an email to them suggesting they may wish to educate the staff on the house beers. I hope they took my words to heart.

I moved away from Six Points four years ago and Miller's Bistro has changed names and owners several time since then. I hadn't tasted a Pepperwoods beer until the Golden Tap Awards last month. It was as tasty as I remember it. I am not surprised Paul Dickey moved on considering the promotion they were giving to his hard work.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

Been to Pepperwood a few times. I really enjoy the TNT shrimp they have there!

Recently got a new job in Burlington so I may move out that way eventually.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I've been a few times over the years. Was there last winter. I've always enjoyed it. Last time I was there they didn't have any "house" taps, but a decent selection of local craft. Great to hear they have some back, even if they aren't made on site. I thought they had been contracting out to Nickel Brook for years prior, no?

Not sure if it's changed, but I've been a few times later at night and sat around the bar area. I found it made a decent enough break from the more upscale sitting sections. Is that not the case now? Last time I went we sat down in the back, and I didn't even notice the bar area. Round about way of saying that when I've gone for just drinks I've never felt out of place.